U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 02:59 PM

450 posts, read 1,873,719 times

Advertisements

Spent Christmas and New Years at the lake. Having a sun porch built and managed to spend 17K on rock to keep my bluff from eroding. That was more expensive than I thought it would be but people tell me it is still a deal. Seawalls last only about 7-10 years max. at my location on the main lake with Northwest and Southwest winds coming across the big water. Lake was very low as they drained it down to repair the dam and there were no Fall rains. But I think that may change with the current storm coming through. Fishing remains good but with the low water you have to know your deeper channels. Jolly Roger Marina on the north end closed as they need 165 feet to launch and it is between 162-164. Huxley Bay has a deeper channel to the river and is doing well.

I still see real estate prices falling around here. On the other hand, they seem to be selling some pretty big places and building as well around Lanana Bay just north of the Pendleton Bridge. Word is that the gas companies are consolidating their leases north of Zwolle and there will be no action further south until natural gas prices go up and the economy improves further. New SuperWalmart just north of Many is up and running and getting good reviews. Some say Big Star grocery will expand into the old Walmart building. Many looks good. That is one community with a future.

Fort Polk to the south is expanding and there are Army retirees starting to look for places on the lake as the expansion includes Veteran's medical facilities and other amenities for military retirees. Saw a Bald Eagle eating some road kill--yes, you don't have to be an old buzzard to partake of that stuff. The Villages at Cypress Bend development is putting in roads and the exclusive Eagle Point development just north of the Bailey Bluff villas is slated to get a spec home. Brandon estates is building 3 new big places on the "stumpy side" of Lanana across the road from the main lake.

Mansfield is building a motel for gas workers and there is road construction everywhere with the high school getting astro-turf courtesy of the gas lease money. Toledo Town tackle has added on to its building. All-in-all the area continues to grow slowly but surely.

And of course when the sun was shinning the lake and woods was just beautiful. Good for hunting, fishing, or just a walk in the woods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 08:46 AM

1 posts, read 3,137 times
We are hoping they bring a Stage, Dollar Tree, GameStop, Cato, and Shoe Dept. to Many also.

Old 01-15-2011, 11:19 AM

Default Hi, SuzieQ!

Many is still pretty close to Nachitoches and lots of retail stuff goes in there. It will all be dependent on the Lake. Many is the best Gateway to the Bend with its central location. I think we will all be surprised what will develop. Without real estate development on the big lake there will be no Many to speak of in my opinion. Good to hear from you.

Kurt

Old 01-15-2011, 07:07 PM

21 posts, read 180,530 times
Thanks for the updates, Kurt! Husband and I will be checking out a few properties on the LA side of the Bend in March and April. Can you tell me if the "stumpy side" of Lanana is the north side? Thanks,

Old 01-15-2011, 07:09 PM

Hey, how the heck do you pronounce ZWOLLE??

Old 01-15-2011, 07:47 PM

2,819 posts, read 6,933,256 times
Zwahh-lee

Old 01-16-2011, 03:05 PM

11 posts, read 26,535 times
Zoe wally

Old 01-16-2011, 04:39 PM

Default Hey, Circlemetalart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by circledmetalart View Post
Thanks for the updates, Kurt! Husband and I will be checking out a few properties on the LA side of the Bend in March and April. Can you tell me if the "stumpy side" of Lanana is the north side? Thanks,
The "stumpy side" is at the very end of Lanana on the other side of the highway that cuts across the end of the bay. The main bay to the main lake itself is free of stumps for the most part.

Pronunciations:

I go with: Zwahlee. Also, Lanana is pronouned LAH-NAN. It is a hard "A" like nano-second or can. You drop the last A. I know the Spanish would be LA NAH NAH with all soft a's but I've never heard it pronounced that way. Maybe someone could "edumicate" us. Lanana is probably the most built-up part of the Lake.

Toledo Bend area is quite the place for different pronunciations. Surprised Toledo didn't become "Toe lay due", but the city in Ohio probably won out and the pronunciation remained Spanish.

I heard an old-timer pronounce the town of Florien--Floor-eeen. But I think I'll stick with Floor--ee-uhn.

Will be spending some time at the Bend this Summer. Maybe we could get together. If only I didn't have to work so much and could just retire!

Kurt.

Last edited by Kurt; 01-16-2011 at 04:50 PM.. Reason: grammar.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:35 PM

Thanks for all the info. Zwahh-lee got it! We won't be at the Bend during the summer. We stay at home in the mountains of New Mexico to stay cool without air conditioning in the summer. Hopefully we can find something to work for us this April. Eason Dowden is our re agent. It would be great to meet up, although it might have to wait for "retirement" for all of us. Darn that working stuff anyway!

Old 01-24-2011, 11:48 PM

11 posts, read 26,535 times
My friend lives in Many, was born and raised in Zwolle.

he says Zoewally , but he's 65 and maybe they don't say it like

that anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana