Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 10:39 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,326,525 times

Advertisements

as a longtime resident of Lafayette, Id suggest coming to visit the city again to get a feel for it. It is very fun and bustling, but the traffic really is horrendous. Housing prices on average are higher than most of Louisiana, but the city is generally a nice place to live and fairly safe in most areas. Even the bad parts really arent so bad you wouldnt drive through them, at least during the day. You always have to keep an eye on your surroundings of course, but you should be alright. the mall here has been described as "pretty" and it was recently totally renovated and has few vacancies so it definitely isnt dead. More importantly, it is surrounded by a very good amount of other retail and big box stores so theres no shortage ofp laces to shop. and if you go visit river ranch there is all sorts of more upscale places to shop there too.

As for housing, the northside is the less desirable side of town and a bit of a drive from the main retail across the city, but having lived in that area for some time without incident, I would suggest checking out houses north of I10 off of Moss Street like Acorn, Nova Scotia subdivision, upper Maryview Farm, Butcher Switch road as they are MUCH more affordable than the southside and also pretty safe. Those areas are home to more longtime and older residents and the whole area has lower property values, but is not a crimehole contrary to popular belief. the communities there are VERY religious and there is a beautiful church called St Elizabeth Seton that I attend and highly recommend.

If you still prefer the southside for proximity to everything, I would recommend the older subdivisions like Broadmoor and some along West congress or Eraste Landry. Trying to find cheap housing in the newer areas will be next to impossible. A lot of areas have really gone up in vlaue with so much development going on and River ranch is the epitome of this example.

Overall, Lafayette is larger than Lake charles, has better access to other large cities in Southern La, and has some of the best food you'll find around here. As for Mexican restaurants, I recommend Coyote Blues on the Acadiana Mall circle, although there are more scattered about but I havent tried them. Coyote Blues seems more upscale though and the food is quite delicious.

One more recommendation, is to check out smaller towns like Rayne or Breaux Bridge, youngsville, Broussard, or Carencro. The housing is MUCH cheaper and still within 10-15 minutes drive on the interstate to Lafayette exits. Those places arent so bad crimewise but still have their places to avoid. Good luck with your house searching. I hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 07:51 PM

17 posts, read 45,587 times
I moved from lake charles 2 months ago to wichita, ks. Ive never thought that i would leave lc but I did. It took one week to find my dream job at the railroad. My wife found a great job at the hospital. We found a two story home for rent (650.00 a month) in a great area. but we do miss our family and the lsu games.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:14 AM

1 posts, read 2,223 times
Default My two Cents

I know this is an old post 5 years old but it is still the top hit when searching Lake Charels so I wanted to give my two cents on this town. My background is I've been here for 13 months and moved here from California for a Plant Job. My Job is actually in Orange Tx but after reading reviews about that towns yellow water I decided I would rather commute. We decided to Live on the Aprtments in Nelson RD which is a great place to live. If you are looking for a home or rent try to stay as close to Nelson and Country Club Road as possible the south west of town is the only place to live. Once you get North of I-210 you start getting shady. Once you go East of McNeese you get Shade. Avoid like th plague any next to LA 14 this area is bad don't get me wrong you can get a home for rent at ~$500 for a three bedroom but its not a place to raise kids. If you get close to McNeese it should be up to $800 and if you get next to Nelson the house prices go up quick! A one room apartment can be $800! So its more then a 3 bedroom house on the shader side of town but if you have the cash its money well spent. In conclusion I love Lake Charles and I think I made the right choice but this town is really like to diffrient citys that is seperated by the 210 and McNeese.

Old 02-01-2014, 08:10 PM

15 posts, read 49,573 times
Anyone who posted in this thread care to give an update for 2014?
I am thinking of moving to Lake Charles and started my own thread because all this info is so old. I'd like to hear from those of you that posted here with any current info, and whether or not your opinions have changed since. Please and thanks!

Old 02-02-2014, 11:51 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,326,525 times
The city has more amenities, food places, shops, jobs than ever before but traffic is getting worse.
its still a very fun city and still relatively safe.
It hasnt lost its charm at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana