Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 03:58 PM

187 posts, read 624,674 times

Advertisements

I'd take it any day over new Orleans or any other city in Louisiana! Although it in the past 7 yrs has resembled new Orleans more than any time in its existence including Fort Miro.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:55 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,185,076 times
Monroe would be the last place I'd choose. I'd rather live in Detroit.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:46 PM

If you live in baton rouge, new Orleans, or Shreveport your in Detroit for all intents & purposes. I'm not saying by any means the current Monroe is anything close to 1984 Monroe but its better than any of those ^ cities.

Old 07-03-2013, 02:26 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,332,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FS250 View Post
If you live in baton rouge, new Orleans, or Shreveport your in Detroit for all intents & purposes. I'm not saying by any means the current Monroe is anything close to 1984 Monroe but its better than any of those ^ cities.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:58 PM

Quote:
That's why we keep building and growing, while Monroe is unfortunately shriveling up. Shreveport is just as bad as Monroe but at least it's freeway system is up-to-date, hills, decent inner city neighborhoods, and has many more amenities.
What's better about Monroe than Baton Rouge and New Orleans?

Old 07-04-2013, 02:44 PM

Good question.

Monroe peaked in the early to mid 1980's as a lot of other US cities did. GM's Guidelamp plant was a helluva good job (AFL/CIO), State Farm paid all of its employees very nicely, the paper plant in west Monroe was another really good job to be had. NLU was pumping in millions of dollars per year into the local economy as well. Pecanland Mall was usually filled on the weekends year-round, during Christmas shopping it took you to at least 20 minutes to walk from the food court to Dillard's or McCrae's. Nowadays Pecanland is as empty as another former Monroe institution - the Holiday Inn Holidome. Although the exterior is still kept up very well surprisingly. The Holidome was another place that was filled on the weekends. The cheapest room in 1987 was $120/nite...now in two-freakin thousand thirteen its only like $80. The Stratford House Inn adjacent to the Holidome & the La Quinta are the same.

Monroe, like a lotta other other cities, was where if an intelligent person wanted to they could graduate from a local public high school, attend a local very reasonably priced public university and make a very nice life for themselves and they're family. Now its nowhere near as certain. I still believe a business degree from NLU (I hate the term ULM) is as good or better than any other similar school and can take a person far in life (at least that's what I'm hoping).

Monroe has such huge potential and rich history. I'll never let go the wonderful memories I have.

I dare say there isn't a single person who produce a single news article pre-Katrina which predicted the decline of once truly great Monroe, Louisiana.

Last edited by FS250; 07-04-2013 at 03:09 PM..

Old 07-05-2013, 09:08 AM

Monroe was declining in the 80s and 90s, I don't see why you keep blaming Katrina. Some kind of complex?

Old 07-05-2013, 01:15 PM

Katrina was simply the nail in the proverbial coffin. I can VERY clearly remember a close family friend saying basically what you are in July of 1988. He lived on Georgia street and had been for almost 30yrs. He said he saw more & more evidence of the decline everyday on his way to his service station on the corner of S. 2nd street & Plum St. until he moved to West Monroe (as has basically 75% of the everyone else who lived on Monroe).

I can remember around 1976 south Monroe was probably around 85% white...now its less than 10%. Soooo much crime which happens daily in south Monroe never makes it to any record book. I clearly remember when they built the first Wendy's hamburgers on 165 in south Monroe by Wossman High school.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:49 AM

233 posts, read 700,096 times
Quote:
Wrong. Monroe is ****. Gone. Might as well change the name to RICHWOOD.

Here's an expert on the US economy. I'm right on both points.

This Is Just the Beginning (Economist Peter Schiff Predicts Disaster)

Economist Peter Schiff Forecasts Second Crisis to Hit Around 2013 – IVN
An "expert" on nothing. Peter Schiff has been wrong so many times about so many things I don't know why he would have one shred of credibility left with any thinking person. As for Monroe and the cities in Louisiana mentioned they are all definitely deeply into decline. At least that is the impression I get. They have lots of company all across America. One thing I do like about Louisiana is Louisianans. I've found them to be among the most interesting, accommodating, and friendly to visitors of any people in any state in the nation. Just my opinion. Yes Monroe is in many respects a bleak depressing town. The people of Louisiana deserve an economic revival.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:08 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,310,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAI126;30448534i
An "expert" on nothing. Peter Schiff has been wrong so many times about so many things I don't know why he would have one shred of credibility left with any thinking person. As for Monroe and the cities in Louisiana mentioned they are all definitely deeply into decline. At least that is the impression I get. They have lots of company all across America. One thing I do like about Louisiana is Louisianans. I've found them to be among the most interesting, accommodating, and friendly to visitors of any people in any state in the nation. Just my opinion. Yes Monroe is in many respects a bleak depressing town. The people of Louisiana deserve an economic revival.
Actually, many cities in southern Louisiana are booming. Amongs the fastest growing areas in the country currently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana