U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2008, 01:35 PM

9 posts, read 44,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erpo View Post
One of the most serious option of the origin of the word "Coonass" would comes from the WW2 when American soldiers from Louisiana conversed with French soldiers, these couldn't clearly understand this old fashion French, remembered them the way were talking a "connasse" which in slang French is a kind of low grade stupid woman. This word is still in use in France to describe a very silly woman.
I do like this theory, but I have to just add that it goes much much further than low grade, stupid woman. The word CON (for men) or CONNE/CONASSE (for women) is actually making reference to genitalia - Moderator cut: edit
Sorry, not an expert on cursewords, just lived in France for a few years.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 10-09-2008 at 03:59 AM.. Reason: let's leave that part out!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 04:02 AM

2 posts, read 7,133 times
By no means are Cajuns only from the swamp areas!!! There were many, many plantation owners, fishermen, and strictly politicians (I am descendant of W.C.C. Claiborne--great uncle (6X) and Gov. Wickliffe) We live in rural areas that are mostly dedicated to farmland, but others make their living by fishing in the Gulf and its tributaries and rivers. If your pride is only in New Orleans, then I will tell you the honest truth----I am from Morganza. And I can crawfish anywhere, fish, kill deer and squirrel, skin them and cook them up in a gumbo, all while working 12 hr. shifts as an electrical engineer. So there goes your swamp theory!!!LOLOLOL

Old 12-23-2008, 04:04 AM

2 posts, read 7,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlyssaGirl View Post
I do like this theory, but I have to just add that it goes much much further than low grade, stupid woman. The word CON (for men) or CONNE/CONASSE (for women) is actually making reference to genitalia - [mod] edit [/mod]
Sorry, not an expert on cursewords, just lived in France for a few years.
Words are only as ugly as YOU say them. You may find a coonass if you lift a raccoon's tail and look under it! LOLOL

Old 12-28-2008, 04:20 PM

929 posts, read 2,509,098 times
I live in north Louisiana, 3 miles from the state line and work in south Arkansas. I'm commonly referred to as a Dry land Coon ass since I live in north Louisiana. So there's another name to add to the list. It's all just for fun though. I usually just come back with hillbilly.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:30 PM

4 posts, read 12,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmagana View Post
Since I am looking to move that way, Louisiana has been the topic of conversation at dinner the last few nights. An interesting question came up... What are you if you are from Louisiana?

For example, someone from California is a Californian, someone from New Mexico is a New Mexican, etc... What is the correct term for someone from Louisiana?

Louisianian? Louisian? Neither of those sounded right to me. My mom says say Cajun, but I thought Cajuns were their own group within Louisiana's population. Sorry if this seems like a really dumb question, but it has been on my mind for a couple of days.
Many from Louisiana are transplants like yourself. Get ready for "culture shock".

Old 05-28-2009, 04:45 PM

81 posts, read 276,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Heaven View Post
Many from Louisiana are transplants like yourself. Get ready for "culture shock".
You have "culture shock" anytime you move from one region to an entirely different one. So then yes, upon moving to Louisiana, one would be expected to experience said shock. But is it a bad shock or a good one? Each individual must be the one to truly decide that, because it will ultimately be based on what that each individual makes of it.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:21 PM

3,069 posts, read 2,863,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampgrrl View Post
Creole from what I can tell is not a definite term.
Some say it's mixed Spanish and African heritage, French/African or originally it was just French heritage no African?
I cannot tell and I'm taking a Louisiana history class at Tulane right now.
Creoles are the descendants of the french and spanish settlers that settled in Louisiana. Most of them do have some african ancestry as well. There is also a group called the islaneos who are descended from the Canary Islanders who settled in the St. Bernard Parish.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:57 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,714,914 times
Creoles are basically anyone who was in Southeast Louisiana during Spanish rule. Louisiana Creole is not a race or ethnicity, but more so a loose culture.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:52 AM

1,113 posts, read 2,077,600 times
Louisiana Creole has different meanings when used in Louisiana. One refers to people of various racial backgrounds who are descended from the colonial French, Spanish, and German settlers in Louisiana. The second, referring to the citizens with an admixture of early Louisiana European ancestry, African (mostly West African or Haitian) ancestry, and Native American ancestry indigenous to Louisiana; most often called Créole.

Historically the term Creole is not exclusive to Louisiana, it is a term also used in reference to populations in the West Indies, and in South America. While these populations add to the ethnic make up of the Créoles in Louisiana, they are not used as one in the same.

Historically, the term Creole was documented by Inca Garcilaso de la Vega. In "The Inca", writing in the early 1600s, he said: "The name was invented by the Negroes... They use it to mean a Negro born in the Indies, and they devised it to distinguish those who come from this side and were born in Guinea from those born in the New World.

Another version states that the term Creole was introduced in 1590. It derived from the Latin word “crear”, which meant, “create.” In 1590, Father J. de Acosta decided that the mixed breeds born in the New World were neither Spanish, African, Indian, but various mixtures of all three, thus a created race. So he identified them as "Criollos". The Spanish copied them by introducing this word to describe those born in the New World, and in this way both Spanish and Guinea Negroes are called criollo if they were born in the New World."
In Louisiana, Créole was first used to refer to white colonists of French descent who had been born there and were thus native to the territory, as opposed to new immigrants from the dominant colonial powers in Louisiana, France and Spain. In its early connotations, in the 1500s the word Créole was applied to Europeans people of European descent. Later, the term was also applied to free born African-Americans who were born in Louisiana of mixed heritage. French Creole was then the new term reserved exclusively for people of French descent, who usually spoke French as their primary language and practiced Catholicism.

In present Louisiana, Créole generally means a person or people of mixed colonial French, Spanish, African American, and Native American ancestry. Some may not have every ethnic heritage and some have additional ancestries.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:53 AM

1,113 posts, read 2,077,600 times
Creoles of Color in 19th Century New Orleans and their Culture and history

http://www.creolehistory.com/album.html (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana