Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 07:24 PM

56 posts, read 160,740 times

Advertisements

So I live in Ohio, and I want to get away from here for college. Louisiana has waivers for students with good grades like me. However, personally I have no idea where to go, i have it narrowed down to 3. Louisiana Lafayette, Southeast Louisiana, and nicholls state. I want to go to a nice southern town with nice people. I don't like to party much but I do want to work at a mall (I have all my life). I will be living in a dorm so the better quality of dorm the better. I don't care how close it is to NO. If anyone can tell me what college fits me best it would be great help. If you want to ask me a question feel free to. If you take time to help me thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 07:26 PM

Also, I do prefer big towns as to small.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:29 PM

794 posts, read 3,343,050 times
ULL - Lafayette. You might like the college feel there. They have a pretty good arts and entertainment scene over there too.
Any idea of what you're looking to major in, or is this just to get out and see the country kind of thing?

Old 10-04-2008, 11:21 AM

65 posts, read 380,149 times
Tidewater, I went to both Nicholls State and UL, I was born and raised in Thibodaux but I must say that UL (and Lafayette) will give you more opportunities. The people are friendly in both areas but Lafayette being a much larger city has more apts.,jobs,shopping areas, fun things to do. I may start an arguement but I found that the boudin made in southwest Louisiana was better than anywhere else. I received my master's from USL (the old name for UL) in geology. Geology dept. was pretty good then and I think it still remains the same. What area of study are you interested in? Good luck.

Old 10-04-2008, 12:19 PM

Accounting is my major. The ONLY thing I like better at SE Louisiana over ULL is dorm rooms. The doorms looked 10x more nice. Is this true in person? I read someone asked why I wanted to come, well its a long story, but to keep it short I don't get along verry well with my family (They want me to go to college local like everyone elce) and simply just get away from here, there is nothing here for me, I hate the rude ppl here and the cold weather. I will miss my friends however, but I love traveling and meeting new ppl. Thank You for your answers, hope you reply to my others above.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:30 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,379,066 times
I live in Lafayette and work just down the road from the UL campus. Within walking distance of the campus dorms is the main city park called Girard Park which has walking/jogging track, outdoor summer swimming pool, gym with weights and basketball, outdoor basketball and tennis courts, and many festival events are held there. Also within walking distance is some coffee shops, fast food joints, pizza delivery or pick-up, arts museum, and convience store. Walk a little further and your downtown which has music and dancing in the street on Friday. Our Mardi Gras is much more tame than New Orleans' Mardi Gras. Also much safer. There've been shootings and stabbings at the New Orleans' Mardi Gras. For a relaxing meal near the dorms you can eat at Picadilly Cafeteria. For a student, it's too expensive to eat every week but not bad for once or twice a month. The atmosphere there is relaxing and the food is pretty good with plenty to choose from including some very healthy choices. We're about 2 hours from New Orleans, 1 to 1 1/2 from Baton Rouge, and about 2 to 2 1/2 from Houston. Some of the dorms are old but are being renovated. Saw some of the renovation during the summer break. Stay away from "the strip" which is a narrow road of bars the high school and college students hang out at. They can be trouble. There are some coffee shops around the campus and the public library isn't far from the campus. Get to know some locals and they'll educate you on the local foods. Who knows, if you learn how to cook gumbo you just might make it when you visit your family one winter. They may love it.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:12 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,379,066 times
Oh, and if you or your family choose to fly into our regional airport then you are less than 5 miles away from the campus and it's practically a straight shot from the airport to the campus. Turn left when leaving the airport. At the light, go straight. Continue straight through the next light and the campus will be on your left within about a half mile. If driving, follow a map from Ohio going south until you hit interstate 10 heading west. Make a pit stop at Baton Rouge and don't drink unless you have a good bladder. Once you head west on I-10 out of Baton Rouge you're going to be on a long bridge. After the bridge start watching the signs for Lafayette. Once you see your first Lafayette sign, start looking for the University exit. University is the name of the road. Stay in the right hand lane and it exits to the right. When you exit, continue towards the traffic light and turn left on green. Stay in the right hand lane and continue straight for two to three miles. The campus will be on your right.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:55 AM

794 posts, read 3,343,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Oh, and if you or your family choose to fly into our regional airport then you are less than 5 miles away from the campus and it's practically a straight shot from the airport to the campus. Turn left when leaving the airport. At the light, go straight. Continue straight through the next light and the campus will be on your left within about a half mile. If driving, follow a map from Ohio going south until you hit interstate 10 heading west. Make a pit stop at Baton Rouge and don't drink unless you have a good bladder. Once you head west on I-10 out of Baton Rouge you're going to be on a long bridge. After the bridge start watching the signs for Lafayette. Once you see your first Lafayette sign, start looking for the University exit. University is the name of the road. Stay in the right hand lane and it exits to the right. When you exit, continue towards the traffic light and turn left on green. Stay in the right hand lane and continue straight for two to three miles. The campus will be on your right.

I would only advise that if you're coming down I-55, head west when you hit I-12, don't go all the way to I-10. Also, if you're coming down through Alabama (I-65), do come across on I-10 but take I-12 across the northshore to bypass New Orleans. It will save you at least 30 minutes and that's assuming traffic isn't bad in NOLA if you were heading that way. It might save you the better part of an hour or more.
Check out the maps.

Also watch out over that long bridge (the basin/the great divide, etc between BTR and LAF). State Police regularly patrol that stretch. Generally, if traffic is moving along on it, go for it, but be aware that a lot of times, those pesky cops will sneak up on you from behind. Speed limit is 60 on that stretch.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:40 AM

7 posts, read 19,627 times
UL Monroe has one of the best nursing/pharmacy schools in the country. The local "Pecanland Mall" is also the largest in the area.

On the other hand La Tech isn't too far away in the city of Ruston, my wife went there and she loved it.

I cannot personally comment on either schools since I attended UGA, go Bulldogs. I do however love to go to Baseball/Football games at ULM. Monroe is a nice place to live for the most part.

Old 10-06-2008, 12:33 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,398,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darylwi View Post
ULL - Lafayette. You might like the college feel there. They have a pretty good arts and entertainment scene over there too.
Any idea of what you're looking to major in, or is this just to get out and see the country kind of thing?
Totally agree with daryl. Not only is Lafayette larger than either Hammond or Thibodaux, there's much more to do there in terms of recreational activities. Since you mentioned it, Lafayette is farther from New Orleans than either of the two cities mentioned. There's also a greater number of good restaurants there, and it's easier to get to Houston from there if the need arises.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana