Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2011, 07:42 AM

71 posts, read 184,199 times

Advertisements

How do you think Louisiana would be had New Orleans grew like the other Sunbelt cities in the 50s/60s?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 06:38 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,089,407 times
Houston with crawfish étouffée.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:41 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,298,027 times
a suburban wasteland. Very nondescript and miles of urban sprawl with no identity or enjoyable value outside of the individual home.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:34 AM

Sprawl wouldn't be as bad as you mention, it is landlocked.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:46 AM

71 posts, read 184,199 times
The pros of this situation:
-Louisiana's population would be higher
-New Orleans would probably remain the largest city in the south
-More businesses in the region

The cons:
-Many historic districts would be destroyed to make room for subdivisions, strip malls, etc.
-Driving from BR to NOLA would be more painful than it already is
-Wetlands would be drained
-Less locally owned businesses and more large chains

Old 02-23-2011, 08:47 AM

1,734 posts, read 5,662,496 times
I think it would be horrible. Because of the lack of decent land to build on, even more subdivisions would've been built on unsuitable land, and alot more people would've had their lives ruined by the hurricane. If the New Orleans Metro Area had about 5 million people, it would be awful...Can you imagine the evacuation process. I shudder just thinking about it.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:56 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,436,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
I think it would be horrible. Because of the lack of decent land to build on, even more subdivisions would've been built on unsuitable land, and alot more people would've had their lives ruined by the hurricane. If the New Orleans Metro Area had about 5 million people, it would be awful...Can you imagine the evacuation process. I shudder just thinking about it.
I don't even want to think about if New Orleans was in the 5,000,000+ category when Katrina came.

I don't see the historical districts being destroyed as much of development would probably be on drained wetland or on the Northshore. I could actually see the metro stretching well into Mississippi if it was that size. Traffic would be horrible, but we'd probably have some type of heavy rail with a population that large.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon 12 View Post
The pros of this situation:
-Louisiana's population would be higher
-New Orleans would probably remain the largest city in the south
-More businesses in the region

The cons:
-Many historic districts would be destroyed to make room for subdivisions, strip malls, etc.
-Driving from BR to NOLA would be more painful than it already is
-Wetlands would be drained
-Less locally owned businesses and more large chains
I doubt our old neighborhoods would've been touched, there were NIMBY's in the 40s-50s too. Driving to either city isn't painful, driving IN the cities is were you find the pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
If we were that large, I'm sure it would've been just as hectic evacuating the city, with population gains comes improvements based on population.

Pros:
-Gulf megaregion would actually rival others
-Much more respect as a state
-MLB team?!
-Freeway system like Houston

Cons:
-Probably more sprawl up to MS and continuous sprawl along I-10 to BR.
-Freeway system like Houston
-More commercial influence with degraded and more cosmopolitan culture
-Losing the title as Americas most European/unique city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana