U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 07:37 PM

15 posts, read 52,451 times

Advertisements

I am interested in Grad schools in Louisiana. Which schools might be best for an Anthropology major?

How is the cost of living for college students? Is it hard to find part-time jobs to work around a school schedule? How easy is it to get around in Louisiana? Would I need to travel far for basic needs such as groceries? What is the cost of food in Louisiana?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2007, 11:56 PM

39 posts, read 184,623 times
Maybe Tulane if you can afford it?

Cost of living is relatively cheap compared to many other areas in the US. Part time jobs are pretty easy to find as long as you have a little bit of experience. Travel to basic needs depends totally on what area you end up in.

Old 09-24-2007, 06:05 PM

15 posts, read 88,155 times
Default Anthropology in LA

Well Jessica, none of our college campuses are too far into the boondocks, so you won't have to go far for essentials. Most are in actual cities, albeit small ones.

Try LSU-Baton Rouge it generally has good programs in everything and is reasonably priced. Also, if you have a good GPA (over 3.2) and decent GRE scores (1200+), you will probably qualify for an assistantship.

I got my MA in Poli Sci there.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:26 PM

9,096 posts, read 14,845,014 times
Tulane is the "Harvard of the South". Check it out if you want to go to a great school in New Orleans located in the Garden district above where the majority of damage was done by Hurricane Katrina. Here is their website: http://tulane.edu.com (broken link)

Old 10-03-2007, 02:03 PM

595 posts, read 2,178,328 times
You mean tulane.edu

I go to Tulane as an undergrad but on the sneaky adult program which is much cheaper...

Old 10-05-2007, 01:40 AM

32 posts, read 134,205 times
well if you would like to go to school in Louisiana, your only options for schools would deff. be TULANE, LOYOLA, OR LSU....all are very expensive....but for the most part they are worth it! best colleges in LOUISIANA!!

Old 10-05-2007, 06:01 PM

772 posts, read 4,118,002 times
It's really bad, I'm not sure if you will survive bein an outsider and all. Might get some funny looks, some mean words said 'bout ya.

You will have to first buy what is known as a pirogue (pronounced pee-row) and sell your fancy drivin machine. It's best if you live ON the bayou so you don't have to walk too far to launch your pirogue in order to get to Boudreaux's General Store, Thibodaux's Gator Munchies, or Bubba's Bait-Tackle-Burgers-Hair Care-and Mortuary.

Education? Yeah, maw teaches all the younguns while paw goes out huntin for the daily eats... which is usually nutria rat or gator. Every now and then ol' paw'll surprise ya and come back with somethin nice like a squirrel or coon that someone done run over with their fancy drivin machine up yonder on the "big road."

We just simple folks here in Louisiana, we don't take kindly to strangers. You aint gonna find no fancy "college" learnin here, just what maw can teach ya. You should probably stay over yonder in dem parts you live in and not wander over thisaway.

By the way, I'm kidding. But if you're not looking for an extremely expensive college, you could look into Louisiana Tech in Ruston. Centenary in Shreveport is a nice, small, private Liberal Arts college. Hey... I've got to represent north Louisiana when I can.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:21 PM

2 posts, read 7,160 times
I have to contest. Tulane,LSU, and Loyola are good schools but there are lesser known schools that excel in certain fields of study. ULM is the best for pharmacy, Centenary is a great liberal arts school, ULL should be you top choice for engineering,computers,architecture, and nursing. Don't forget NSU,UNO, or Xavier. Though I don't know much about these following schools you can't forget them: Southern, Grambling,or Louisiana College.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:20 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,414,747 times
If you're interested in the New Orleans area then Tulane and University of New Orleans both have Anthropology programs, but the cost of living here isn't cheap. As far as the rest of Louisiana I really can't help you there but the cost of living would be cheaper. If you're looking for an environment similar to GA then i would suggest the rest of LA outside of NO

Old 12-04-2008, 11:38 AM

1,745 posts, read 3,092,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCmetroguy View Post
But if you're not looking for an extremely expensive college, you could look into Louisiana Tech in Ruston. Centenary in Shreveport is a nice, small, private Liberal Arts college. Hey... I've got to represent north Louisiana when I can.
Centenary has a graduate program in anthropology?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or