Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 08:04 AM

1,224 posts, read 2,189,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUISIANA'SLEGEND View Post
Well I think it may be a year now that "Centurytel" purchase the corporation from Omaha, Nebraska formally known as Embarq. Once the purchase was finalized....the "Centurytel" changed its name to "Centurylink". It was only about 5 mths afterwards, that Denver, Colorado's corporation known as Qwest was bought also by Centurylink. Pretty good for a homegrown establishment outta "dumpy" old Monroe.
Embarq was HQd in a suburb of Kansas City. I am pretty sure no company was bought out of Omaha that I am aware of.

Technically NW Bell Communications, which was HQd in Omaha, merged with US West Communications in 1991. US West was bought by Qwest in 2000 which has now been bought by CenturyLink. Too far removed to make a claim of buying an Omaha based company though.

Now our arena has the Qwest Center name and will change to CenturyLink Center, but that is simply naming rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 08:41 AM

420 posts, read 479,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacobm View Post
Embarq was HQd in a suburb of Kansas City. I am pretty sure no company was bought out of Omaha that I am aware of.

Technically NW Bell Communications, which was HQd in Omaha, merged with US West Communications in 1991. US West was bought by Qwest in 2000 which has now been bought by CenturyLink. Too far removed to make a claim of buying an Omaha based company though.

Now our arena has the Qwest Center name and will change to CenturyLink Center, but that is simply naming rights.
Your correct.....we did eat a company near Kansas City....mmmm, but Qwest taste even better. Now we get to pour hot sauce on Qwest Field in Seattle, Washington. Geaux Seahawks at Centurylink Field!!! But your right, no need to get excited over just naming rights, I'm sure Qwest will always be in your hearts forever, so will the fact that Louisiana owns a very piece of you....Denver, CO!!

Old 07-13-2011, 09:18 AM

1,224 posts, read 2,189,302 times
I actually like the sound of the Qwest Center better than the CenturyLink Center, it flows better! Plus our arena looks amazing with the blue neon on it. I hope the green looks just as good.

The fact that Monroe has a Fortune 500 speaks wonders about the strength of that pretty small city though! Trust me I know a thing or two about Fortune 500s in unlikely places. Omaha has 5(as many as Philadelphia and LA) in a two mile stretch in downtown and midtown.

It really is a testament to a towns strength when they can hold down one of the top communications companies companies in the countries and purchase companies from the likes of KC and Denver. It is usually the other way around.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:29 PM

1 posts, read 969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Analog Man View Post
Monroe is a disgusting, filthy little town. Trust me, you'll be better off out of state for your major.
Is it really that bad? My husband just accepted a job at ULM, & we (including our three year old daughter) will be relocating there in the next few weeks.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:33 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRose78 View Post
Is it really that bad? My husband just accepted a job at ULM, & we (including our three year old daughter) will be relocating there in the next few weeks.
It has its nice parts, but its not a city I get excited about going to. I do find it very dirty to be honest. I like ULM campus, its nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana