Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does Louisiana have the worst drivers?
Yes 8 21.62%
No 27 72.97%
Only in New Orleans 2 5.41%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 07:26 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,018,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeth62256 View Post
Bossier City has by far the worst drivers!!!!
I think mainly because the roads have not kept up with the traffic. We are going through a rebuild on Barksdale hwy 71 in S. Bossier. The traffic is unbelievably heavy at times down that way and steady the rest of the time.

I think the most aggressive drivers however in La seem to be in the Ruston Farmerville area. They seem to have no patience and don't regard pedestrian right of way laws. Wish I knew what the big hurry was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 12:18 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
I think mainly because the roads have not kept up with the traffic. We are going through a rebuild on Barksdale hwy 71 in S. Bossier. The traffic is unbelievably heavy at times down that way and steady the rest of the time.

I think the most aggressive drivers however in La seem to be in the Ruston Farmerville area. They seem to have no patience and don't regard pedestrian right of way laws. Wish I knew what the big hurry was.
Gotta catch the swap meet.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:25 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,480,380 times
I think the driving culturea in different parts of the state are different, NO people don't drive like BR people who don't drive like SBC or LC people. Still don't think we're the worse though. NO drivers are worse than Houston drivers though, but atleast we don't have many left lane hogs over here.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:26 AM

299 posts, read 641,487 times
I don't know why, but when I think of horrible drivers, Lake Charles immediately comes to mind.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:27 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,944,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
300 miles west is a whole hell of lot worse.
I agree.

New Orleans drivers may be among the most aggressive in the country, but then again, driving here is an art form. It's like 3000 puzzle pieces all trying to fit into their place, minus turn blinkers, anytime you get on the highway.

I will say that I somewhat enjoyed driving the Houston freeways, though. Since I was enrolled at Rice as a planned civil engineering major, the thought of 7 lanes of traffic going 80 plus miles an hour was intoxicating to me, at 18 with a loaded SUV.

However....

driving in Houston will make you insane. Those same people who drive 80 on the freeways will drive in packs at 20 miles an hour on divided streets. Never understood the logic behind that. And God forbid somebody cuts you off, or your obligation as a Houstonian is to try to run them off the road in your quaddy with the naked lady art.

I had never experienced road rage before I lived in Houston. It was some kind of dark fairy tale from the hinterlands. Then I started seeing the once-weekly news reports about another asinine wreck caused by an overgrown Texan. It was one of the reasons I moved.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:36 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
I agree.

New Orleans drivers may be among the most aggressive in the country, but then again, driving here is an art form. It's like 3000 puzzle pieces all trying to fit into their place, minus turn blinkers, anytime you get on the highway.

I will say that I somewhat enjoyed driving the Houston freeways, though. Since I was enrolled at Rice as a planned civil engineering major, the thought of 7 lanes of traffic going 80 plus miles an hour was intoxicating to me, at 18 with a loaded SUV.

However....

driving in Houston will make you insane. Those same people who drive 80 on the freeways will drive in packs at 20 miles an hour on divided streets. Never understood the logic behind that. And God forbid somebody cuts you off, or your obligation as a Houstonian is to try to run them off the road in your quaddy with the naked lady art.

I had never experienced road rage before I lived in Houston. It was some kind of dark fairy tale from the hinterlands. Then I started seeing the once-weekly news reports about another asinine wreck caused by an overgrown Texan. It was one of the reasons I moved.
Yes the massive seas of concrete are impressive and overwhelming all at once, intimidating coming from anywhere in LA. It has certainly changed the way I drive, road rage included.
You are right about the surface roads, alot of them move as slow as ants.

Old 12-11-2011, 03:35 PM

2 posts, read 3,711 times
Houston have the most outrageous drivers, ever!

That's part of the thing I like best about moving back to LA. Some drive super fast, but I don't get nearly the amount of honking and craziness I experienced in Texas.

Texans honk at red lights? really!

Old 12-11-2011, 05:30 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,480,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
I agree.

However....
I agree with this. Houston are nowhere near as aggressive as N.O. drivers in my opinion, but I do think that New Orleans drivers do better on surface streets than Houston drivers. I think that a lot of people visiting Houston just get intimidated by the size of the freeways, when in reality the drivers on the freeway aren't so bad. That said, I still don't think that N.O. drivers are bad, just aggressive and quick.

Old 12-11-2011, 06:10 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,861,262 times
Unless things have changed the Mexican 500 that takes place during rush hours M-F in El Paso, Texas has the worst drivers. NOLA is child's play compared to that. Just my opinion.
GL2

Old 12-14-2011, 03:57 PM

869 posts, read 2,953,877 times
Nobody drives worse than Californians!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana