Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 10:07 PM

3 posts, read 31,429 times

Advertisements

Hi! guys, I'll be moving soon in west, monroe, LA. just want to ask about this city.

tnx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 04:57 PM

768 posts, read 4,385,445 times
Where are you moving from? This will matter as to how you feel about West Monroe and Monroe.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCmetroguy View Post
Where are you moving from? This will matter as to how you feel about West Monroe and Monroe.
Thanks for the reply. I'm from Philippines.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:29 PM

please tell me about this place... tnx!

Old 09-24-2007, 05:35 PM

15 posts, read 93,082 times
Default West Monroe

2 paper plants, there is an unfortunate odor.

Good antique shops in the old downtown.

Old 09-29-2007, 08:10 PM

10 posts, read 51,930 times
there are a lot of phillipines living in forrest la, just out of oak grove. you might be interested in meeting up with them for friendships.

Old 09-29-2007, 08:12 PM

10 posts, read 51,930 times
How did you choose West Monroe to come to from Phillipines?

Old 10-02-2007, 06:28 AM

2 posts, read 16,796 times
This is from someone who has been living in West Monroe for 26 years (minus about 5 months in New York).

West Monroe is decent when it comes to crime, etc. The more violent crimes (which are relatively few and far between) are usually more personal in nature. There is a lot of theft.

Stay out of Bawcomville if you move here. Theft is higher there, the type of people that live there are not people you would want to associate yourself with, the housing is cheap but most of it is disgusting in nature, and it reeks of the paper mill. Speaking of the paper mill, my husband is from SoCal and has a hard time stomaching the stench still after 3 years here. I still hate the smell after 26 years. :/

As others have mentioned, a nice one bedroom apartment will be about $600. Stay away from Highland Court. I've heard horrific things about the management there.

I also agree with the others who say that West Monroe is a much better place to live than Monroe. West Monroe has no form of public transportation, though. There are also no sidewalks and narrow roads outside of Cypress and Arkansas. The traffic isn't that bad until about 7:30 AM when everyone tries to get to school and work at the exact same time.

There isn't much of a nightlife or choice in eateries, etc here. Actually, there really isn't much of a culture. Jobs are pretty easy to obtain if you're smart and white (hence why it was never hard for me to find a job). A lot of racist people live here. Pay is awful at most places... and it's hard to find a boss who actually knows how to run his business.

We've actually had enough of West Monroe and have decided to move to Sacramento. We're currently looking for housing there and can't wait to get out of this cockroach infested hole. :P

Old 12-23-2007, 02:40 PM

78 posts, read 930,216 times
PLEASE tell me where all the jobs are in West Monroe-Monroe area?? I am from Monroe but haven't lived in the area for years but am currently considering move back but one of my main concerns is lack of jobs and also very few rental homes. Please clue me in on any you know of. My husband is in sales and is looking for a career, not just a minimum wage job. Thanks.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:35 PM

2 posts, read 11,912 times
Smile Monroe

I was born and raise in monroe. I have visited alot with in the last few years and its not the same place i grew up in but yet its the place where my family leaves. I live in oklahoma .I also am planing to move back within a few months to Monroe to be close to my family.I've lived in olka for 19 yr .I left monroe when i was 17.Although Okla is a good place I miss the smaller town feel.......that I don't get in tulsa.....I also don't like the ice storm or snow we in okla.get........yea maybe crime is bad in monroe ...thats why it needs get people to move there.......maybe if real caring people stayed and help fight against crime instead of running away like cowards it would be that place that everyone wants to live.....you have to work toward better not wait for better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana