U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 10:05 AM

2 posts, read 4,043 times

Advertisements

I am moving from Tampa, Florida to Lafayette Louisiana at the end of January. My fiance just got a job with an oil company. I have never been to Lafayette before or Louisiana for that matter. I would like to know what are areas to avoid, places to visit, best/worst restaurants, what grocery stores do you like, fun things to do, etc. Honestly, any information on Lafayette is helpful. Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 04:38 PM

2,057 posts, read 4,967,249 times
Hello there!
Welcome to Lafayette and I hope you enjoy it here.
Lots has been discussed about our area as well as plenty of information about living here.

Check this search result and you will find a lot of information already.
//www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=33602628

Old 12-28-2011, 09:58 PM

4 posts, read 11,291 times
Default welcome to lafayette

Ive lived al over louisiana, lake charles, natchitoches, baton rouge, new orleans, and have lived in lafayette since 2007. so far, lafayette has been my favorite city to live in overall.

as far as areas to avoid, i wouldn't necessarily say one area of town is any more high crime than any other, because i believe that crime strikes anywhere these days, no matter where you are.

some of my favorite restaurants, besides national chains, are Zea, Prejean's, Another Broken Egg, and Cochon's. as far as grocery stores, besides national chains, there are many local markets with speciality items, my favorite is Nunu's near Youngsville. There is a new Rouse's out there that is nice and a fresh market for some items that you cant find at walmart/albertsons/target.

one thing i love about Lafayette is Red Lerille's gym. Its the best workout facility Ive ever seen and if i left lafayette, i would really miss it. If you are looking to go out and meet friends during the weekend, there are many bars and clubs downtown along jefferson street and that always brings out big crowds.

probably my favorite thing about Lafayette is that it is the heart of Acadiana and cajun culture. You will see what life is like here when you move here. I think you are lucky to be moving to Lafayette, it is my favorite city in Louisiana.

Old 12-31-2011, 06:07 PM

2,057 posts, read 4,967,249 times
Sorry, the link didnt work. It was pretty much a general search for Lafayette topics, of which there are many that you should be able to find easily.
This is a unique city with a growing population, a high tech core and a solid foundation for the future. Its a bright spot in all the bad news you hear around the nation lately. Lafayette has weathered the storm and managed to continue growing. If you enjoy trying new places to eat, you have absolutely hit the jackpot here.As for what there is to do here and in the surrounding area, I think that would require quite a substantial post but Ill try to put something together.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:29 PM

435 posts, read 1,018,668 times
And as an added bonus for moving into this area, take a look at this:

Vote for the South's Tastiest Town - Southern Living

Hope you are not trying to lose weight...

Old 01-02-2012, 11:20 AM

14,089 posts, read 26,223,950 times
A hard to find good Cajun restaurant is Poor Boys Riverside Inn. Local family owned grocery stores offer good plate lunches. My favorite is Breauxs, especially for good meat already seasoned and ready for cooking. Girard park is the site for many events. It's also good for walking/jogging path, recreation center (indoor basketball, weight room, public swimming pool), large playground, ducks, pond, baseball field, tennis courts, handball court, BBQ pits, and disc golf course. Just watch out for the geese, they like to goose. If your insurance has it on the provider list, I recommend Lafayette General Medical Center for your hospital. There are many festivals going on all the time. Downtown Lafayette has a children's museum and science museum as well as night clubs, restaurants, and shopping. For locally owned shopping, try the Oil Center. There are some unique shops for clothing, cigars, health food, medical supplies, as well as some nice restaurants. Greenwood shoes downtown will measure both feet, discuss your foot needs and then make recommendations based upon your feet and needs. Another must see is in the city of Breaux Bridge. Breakfast at a certain restaurant includes music and dancing. Avoid the Northgate Mall. It use to be the one and only mall in the area but it's gone down hill in quality of stores. If you enjoy hunting and or fishing there's plenty around. On the university campus is an art museum. Another site is the Acadian Village. It's a collection of actual buildings (churches, drug store, black smith, and homes) of the old classic Acadian (Cajun) of the 1800s. Weddings still take place in the church there for it's great looking photos. Christmas, the village is lit up greatly for the holiday. Avery Island in New Iberia is home to a beautiful bird sanctuary and the Tobasco factory. There's a small zoo (Zoo of Acadiana) south of Lafayette.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:48 AM

7 posts, read 13,484 times
Default Best schools for high functioning autistic kid Lafayette La

Hi! I just moved to Lafayette La, My son is 7 he is high functioning autistic Kid and my husband and I want to buy a house but our concern is the right school for our son. He is attending To Plantation Elementary and so far I can say is a great school, Many people say that the one en Youngsvile is very good also, but I would like to have more options. Does anyone know something about the schools in Broussard? thank you for your time .

Old 01-10-2012, 04:13 PM

I just moved to Lafayette La 9 months ago, I moved from South Florida and let me tell you Lafayette is a small city, but people here are very kind and nice most people are French American, it's a nice place for families and their kids. I am not sure what do you want to know exactly, but you can replay this post and let me know.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:36 PM

392 posts, read 694,613 times
Ya can't go wrong with Lafayette! I lived in Baton Rouge the last 8 years, and spent a lot of time in Lafayette (I met my wife there). I moved to San Antonio, TX last year, and while it's awesome, I miss Lafayette. We'll probably end up back there one day. The only part of town I'd avoid would be anything too close to the I-10 and Evangeline Thruway intersection. Cameron Street, Willow Street (Rue des Saules), Evangeline Thruway (Route d'Evangeline), not great streets. Everything else is nice, for the most part. The "it" place right now to move to seems to be Youngsville. One of my ex-girlfriends lives there and I agree that it's nice. The public schools in Lafayette are probably the best out of all the "major" cities of Louisiana, in my opinion. Just try to make sure you have a good commute. Driving the full length of Johnston Street or Ambassador Caffery Parkway can really try your patience during rush hour.

Good restaurants? All of 'em! (My wife and I go to Deano's Pizza whenever we pass through!) Heck, Festival International de Louisiane, and Festivals Acadiens et Creoles are enough reason to move back. Catching an IceGators hockey game at the Cajundome is a blast as well!

Old 01-22-2012, 04:49 PM

Lafayette is different from Tampa, you just have to be patience, I am from South Florida and I know it's not easy the transition, but the cost of living is cheaper than Florida and that is a good thing. Besides there are so many areas to live well and be comfortable. We do not think going back to Florida for the cost of living there but sometimes I just miss Florida Culture, and most of the shopping, Florida has everything in the same place ...well I think Florida always is going to haunt me However, school here are not good, they are great.! There are many Good neighborhoods and kind people even when they are driving you can see that. You Just have an open mind. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana