U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 11:57 AM

6 posts, read 32,791 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My wife and I are moving from Virginia this August. I will be working in Biloxi and my wife, most likely, will be working in New Orleans. We are thinking of living in Slidell (also looked at Diamondhead, BSL, Pass Christian, but I think the commute will be too much for my wife) but we are pretty unfamiliar with the area.

What are the commute times like from Slidell to the NOLA central business district and from Slidell to Biloxi? Also, we are thinking of renting a small home. Is it better to look for a place built post Katrina or is an older home okay (how big of an issue is black mold)? I know flooding is a problem, any parts of Slidell you would avoid/choose to live? Schools are not an issue. Finally, anyone know of reputable realtors who might be able to help us find a place?

Many many thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 03:45 PM

270 posts, read 559,704 times
great question. I like Slidell. I've done zip code searches and it gave me alot of great information on demographics, crime rate, % below poverty level, etc. City data has some good demographic info for Slidell and other cities that has ben very informative.

Have a blessed day

Old 05-31-2012, 10:43 AM

Thanks Whodat, we have been doing searches and Slidell seems like a nice place to land. Unfortunately, its just hard to get a sense of what its like without actually being there. We will try and make a trip down beforehand and look at as many rentals as we can. Any other general advice?

Old 05-31-2012, 03:16 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,211,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomofish View Post
Hello!
What are the commute times like from Slidell to the NOLA central business district and from Slidell to Biloxi? Also, we are thinking of renting a small home. Is it better to look for a place built post Katrina or is an older home okay (how big of an issue is black mold)? I know flooding is a problem, any parts of Slidell you would avoid/choose to live?
To the CBD, you're looking at ~45min depending on where you are in Slidell. There can be slowdowns on the bridge that crosses the lake due to wrecks/fog/rubbernecking. Biloxi would also be about ~45min.

A lot of Slidell did flood during Katrina, but not all of it. The areas of high elevation that stayed dry are the areas north of I-12 as well as parts along I-10 south of I-12. Just about every home that was flooded has been renovated since 2005.

Check out the Katrina surge inundation map to give you an better idea of what flooded and where the higher ground is located: http://www.fema.gov/pdf/hazard/flood...a_st_index.pdf

Old 06-01-2012, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rburnett View Post
To the CBD, you're looking at ~45min depending on where you are in Slidell. There can be slowdowns on the bridge that crosses the lake due to wrecks/fog/rubbernecking. Biloxi would also be about ~45min.

A lot of Slidell did flood during Katrina, but not all of it. The areas of high elevation that stayed dry are the areas north of I-12 as well as parts along I-10 south of I-12. Just about every home that was flooded has been renovated since 2005.

Check out the Katrina surge inundation map to give you an better idea of what flooded and where the higher ground is located: http://www.fema.gov/pdf/hazard/flood...a_st_index.pdf
Many thanks rburnett! I had not seen the Katrina surge map. Very helpful. A 45 minute commute is not terrible. Not to far from what we are doing now.

Old 06-01-2012, 03:47 PM

89 posts, read 217,514 times
I need to chime in so you have the full picture. If I understand the situation, your wife would be commuting through "New Orleans East" to get to Nola. Google "New Orleans East." I couldn't tolerate my wife driving through that.

Slidell itself is so-so. Some nice areas there, but some very not nice areas also. Sounds like you renting a small house might put you in a not nice area. Before you get sold on Slidell, consider Mandeville/Covington.

Just another perspective so you know what you're getting into.

Old 06-01-2012, 05:43 PM

814 posts, read 1,381,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChappyWhiteGuy View Post
I need to chime in so you have the full picture. If I understand the situation, your wife would be commuting through "New Orleans East" to get to Nola. Google "New Orleans East." I couldn't tolerate my wife driving through that.

Slidell itself is so-so. Some nice areas there, but some very not nice areas also. Sounds like you renting a small house might put you in a not nice area. Before you get sold on Slidell, consider Mandeville/Covington.

Just another perspective so you know what you're getting into.
I dont get what you are trying to say about New Orleans East but I do not think a commuter would have to worry about anything since most likely they will be on an interstate.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:16 PM

21 posts, read 87,139 times
Currently living in Slidell, here and while I'm not a huge fan do to personal preferences (e.g. a bit quiet for my taste, kind of suburban bland, mostly chain stores, I'm in my late 20s and single. etc.) it's very convenient due to work to live here for the time being. Slidell to downtown New Orleans without traffic generally takes between 25-30 mins, however I am sure the morning commute (particularly in times when the fog over the lake and in the east is present) involves a bit of traffic from time to time and that should be taken into account. Slidell to Biloxi (I'm using the 110 freeway at Beach Blvd. as a point of reference) is about an hour +/-, but traffic will not be much of an issue freeway wise.

As far as locations within Slidell, the areas near the lake (Eden Isles, Oak Harbor, Lakeshore Estates) are nicer and do have quite a few apartment complexes, etc. some of which are fairly new (Post K), but flooding is an issue, strong tropical storms that come ashore during high tide have even been known to cause issues in these areas. Unlike New Orleans, Slidell does not have levees along the lake. If flooding is a concern, avoid anything near the lake, near Bayou Liberty, or near the Pearl River/Honey Island Swamp. As far as finding a smaller rental type house, I guess that would depend on your definition of small (1000sf, 1500sf?) One of my beefs with the area is that it seems everything is either a 2000sf typical suburban 3br/2ba ranch, or a McMansion. The hood I live in (off Military near Gause) does have smaller rental homes (e.g. I'm in a 1300sf 3br/1ba), but some of the neighbors I could do without and I imagine that's the case in other parts of town with similar units. The areas North and South of Old Spanish Trail seem to have a bit of these types of homes, as do some of the areas near Military and Brownswitch. The western part of town, near the mall, may also be worth a shot.

Black Mold should not be an issue in anything that did not flood, which again closer to the lake more likely flooding occurred. Another item you may want to consider, is that rent in Slidell, for what Slidell is, generally tends to be much higher than one would expect. I haven;t figured this out, as there is not anything particularly interesting or noteworthy about the place other than it's proximity to New Orleans and the coast, though I hear from coworkers that the schools are better in the area and that may be a factor. I got a deal, but this joint is being put on the market here soon and I have yet to find anything else comparable in my budget (under $1k/Month), that being said, I'm looking into Diamondhead, Waveland and BSL myself as the rents there tend to be significantly lower.

Finally, driving through New Orleans East really should not be a factor as the drive heading downtown is all freeway. There are even motorists assistance vans that patrol the area, and the police definitely make their presence known. I'd avoid Mandeville/Covington (even though I think both are way nicer than Slidell) for a commute downtown, the causeway at times can be a pain due to weather issues, etc.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:56 AM

Jimbo, Chappy, Nola, thank you for your responses. Chappy, since I will be stuck commuting to Biloxi and the job situation for my wife is much better in New Orleans, we do not have much of a choice other than to commute. Plus, I'd rather me have the longer commute than her. Unfortunately it is what it is.

NOLA, thanks for the detailed response, it really helps us to know what to avoid/look for. As for house size, we have a little bit of flexibility, but we don't need a big home since it is just the 2 of us and a dog. Plus, we'd rather not pay utilities on a home that is mostly empty. I'm hoping that we can find a place in a nice area that is not too big. As for mold, I'll make sure and ask landlords about whether the house has been flooded before and look for any remnants.

Thanks again for all the help!

Old 06-06-2012, 12:01 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,211,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChappyWhiteGuy View Post
Let me chime in as well so you can get a better picture. I actually live here and spent many years in the East. New Orleans East is hardly a slum and driving through it on I-10 is a non issue.

Do you keep your wife in a bubble wrapped box and take her out for special occasions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana