Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2012, 02:27 PM

3 posts, read 4,454 times

Advertisements

Just curious, to hear from others who have been all over.
Similar in size, demographics, culture, etc.
Any input is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 12:46 PM

2,042 posts, read 2,903,494 times
Hi, there. I actually live in Ruston and have been basically all over.
Ruston does not compare to any big city I've been to because, well, it's not big. However, it does remind me of most smallish college towns I've been to: College is the center of most excitement and infrastructure and most of the young people are from there.
The town is around 25,000 people and "feels" about that size. There's no traffic to speak of. There's a Wal-Mart, Applebee's, and Starbucks. It's a pretty typical "interstate" town, with most of the new development near I-20.
Demographically, it is my impression that Ruston is similar to much of the south in racial terms. It's about 50/50 white/African-American. Locals have told me (I'm not from here originally) that Ruston is the wealthiest town in the area, and from I've seen that's probably true; however, the wealth is not evenly distributed.
I have also been told that there are 120 churches (!) in Ruston alone. That's quite a number considering there are only 25,000 people, and this number also says a lot about this area of the country.
The public schools could certainly be better, but they are not as bad as some I've seen in inner cities.
Renting a home here is actually not that cheap because the college drives up rental prices. That being said, if you are in the market to BUY a home, then you can find good deals (we're currently renting).
People are friendly, and I can say that almost without reservation. We feel very safe here; I have two young kids so that is a factor for us.
The area is not beautiful, I wouldn't say, although there are some pretty nicely kept Parish/State parks in the area.
The closest city of any size is Shreveport, which I'm not too excited about, but it does offer more shopping and entertainment. The closest big city is probably Dallas, which is about 4 hours' drive from here.
All-in-all, we probably won't be staying here long. I moved here for a job, so I expect to stay here for about two years before moving out. This has less to do with Ruston as a city and more to do with the (VERY) hot weather and our desire to be closer to an ocean.
I probably gave you more info that you were looking for, but I hope this helps.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:55 AM

209 posts, read 459,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
Hi, there. I actually live in Ruston and have been basically all over.
Ruston does not compare to any big city I've been to because, well, it's not big. However, it does remind me of most smallish college towns I've been to: College is the center of most excitement and infrastructure and most of the young people are from there.
The town is around 25,000 people and "feels" about that size. There's no traffic to speak of. There's a Wal-Mart, Applebee's, and Starbucks. It's a pretty typical "interstate" town, with most of the new development near I-20.
Demographically, it is my impression that Ruston is similar to much of the south in racial terms. It's about 50/50 white/African-American. Locals have told me (I'm not from here originally) that Ruston is the wealthiest town in the area, and from I've seen that's probably true; however, the wealth is not evenly distributed.
I have also been told that there are 120 churches (!) in Ruston alone. That's quite a number considering there are only 25,000 people, and this number also says a lot about this area of the country.
The public schools could certainly be better, but they are not as bad as some I've seen in inner cities.
Renting a home here is actually not that cheap because the college drives up rental prices. That being said, if you are in the market to BUY a home, then you can find good deals (we're currently renting).
People are friendly, and I can say that almost without reservation. We feel very safe here; I have two young kids so that is a factor for us.
The area is not beautiful, I wouldn't say, although there are some pretty nicely kept Parish/State parks in the area.
The closest city of any size is Shreveport, which I'm not too excited about, but it does offer more shopping and entertainment. The closest big city is probably Dallas, which is about 4 hours' drive from here.
All-in-all, we probably won't be staying here long. I moved here for a job, so I expect to stay here for about two years before moving out. This has less to do with Ruston as a city and more to do with the (VERY) hot weather and our desire to be closer to an ocean.
I probably gave you more info that you were looking for, but I hope this helps.
You may from a northern state.. Ruston is just fine, not very hot in Louisiana.. The hot place should be like San Antonio etc.

The only thing I recommend 1L to make sure that would you want to live in a 25000 town.. Different from northern town, the southern small town usually represent lower income and "nothing", I mean some great plain state is "nothing" because there is no people there, the southern state "nothing" mean that this region is relative poor and no one want to invest something.

The only attractive point is if you work in LA Tech, a fast growing school in state of Louisiana. If you get job there, that will be fine to live in this town. If you just wish to raise your kids to be a eye-opener, I recommend you skip Ruston.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:35 PM

3 posts, read 4,454 times
Are there any cities that you would compare it to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana