Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 09:56 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,605,242 times

Advertisements

One of the things that is so attractive about Lafayette is the rich Acadian cultural influence. Sometimes, there is a flip side to a region having a strong cultural identity, and that is a resistance to newcomers who don't share the same heritage.

Question: How open is Lafayette and environs to receiving outsiders as permanent residents? I would expect that it takes a while to become fully accepted as belonging there. In some places it can be generations ... is Lafayette like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 06:50 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,325,039 times
I suppose it depends on the person, but when you have a World Music festival like this English Home / Festival International de Louisiane that happens in town, it tends to be pretty open to different cultures and ideas. Lafayette is a College town and also a multi-language region. Its much more open to different cultures than you would think. Especially in terms of food. Generally, if you are an outsider, you should be welcomed into the community. Its definitely not an insular place.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
I suppose it depends on the person, but when you have a World Music festival like this English Home / Festival International de Louisiane that happens in town, it tends to be pretty open to different cultures and ideas. Lafayette is a College town and also a multi-language region. Its much more open to different cultures than you would think. Especially in terms of food. Generally, if you are an outsider, you should be welcomed into the community. Its definitely not an insular place.
Thanks, Innotech. I like a certain degree of insularity, but not overly much. Sounds like Lafayette strikes a good balance.

Old 10-04-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Thanks, Innotech. I like a certain degree of insularity, but not overly much. Sounds like Lafayette strikes a good balance.
It definitely is. People from all over the world come to visit this little city. Especially during the world music festival. If you sign the visitors book in the tourist and information center on Evangeline Thruway, you will see lots of entries from across the US and other countries.

Old 10-12-2012, 04:41 PM

73 posts, read 271,503 times
We moved to Lafayette 8 years ago from Upstate NY and I was firmly convinced that hubby was moving me to the middle of the swamp, and that we'd be back in Binghamton within 6 months. What I found was a community full of some of the warmest, friendliest people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. Within several months, we had made some wonderful friendships, and some of these people have taken us in as family members. We have only ever spent one holiday by ourself, our first Christmas. After that, we've spent every holiday at our "Cajun Family's" house.

What did I note when moving there? As long as I was open to new things and accepting of the strong culture in the area, we were accepted with warm and welcoming arms. We did get asked by most people if we were Catholic or not - we are - since it's such a strong Catholic community. It didn't put us off because we left a large Catholic community and was used to it. We also get ribbed all the time about our last name - hubby is of Polish heritage - so we get alot of "You're not from around here, are you." The minute I say we've been there 8 years and love it there, the locals get a huge smile on their face.

Three years ago, hubby took a job in Houston and we made the decision to keep our home in Lafayette. We're within 15 years of his retirement, and we were always searching for where we wanted to retire. When faced with leaving Lafayette, we realized we had already found it and didn't want to move away permanently. So now, we burn up I-10 and go "home" whenever we can. I can't say enough about Lafayette. Simply love it there! (Despite the awful traffic). Can't wait until we're able to dump our townhouse in Houston and go back to Laffy permanently.

Old 10-13-2012, 11:28 PM

Thats excellent to hear! This city isnt without its issues, but Im glad you found it very welcoming. It really is a special city in a very unappreciated state. I think the problem is that people outside the state just arent educated enough about what is here. They only hear about the tragedies on the news with New orleans and the corruption and crime and dont stop by and actually see the wonderful communities that exist here. Its not some swampland village in the middle of nowhere. There is ample shopping, a growing tech industry, a thriving medical field, and of course the important oil and gas industry. But there is also plenty of opportunities to sample world cuisine, as well as local traditional favorites, and the aforementioned music festival which draws half a million every year. What this city lacks in statistics it makes up for with plenty of heart and I truly think the people here buy into that notion. As they say, home is where the heart is, and my heart has never left.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:49 AM

73 posts, read 271,503 times
Yes, it was the oil industry that brought us to Lafayette in the first place, and hence why hubby is currently working for a driller in it's Houston corporate offices.

Lafayette just offers sooooo much to the newcomer willing to actually take advantage of this great place. We've both attended and worked at many of the festivals around town - we're particularly fond of working the beer trucks at Downtown Alive and Broussard Bon Temps Festival. Not only do you provide a valuable service, but you get to listen to awesome music all while meeting new people and running into lots of friends. It's a win-win all the way around.

Like any place, Lafayette is what you make of it. But for the newcomer, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at just how warm and inviting this community is. I may not have been born here, but got here as fast as I could!

Old 10-16-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozydeaux View Post
We moved to Lafayette 8 years ago from Upstate NY and I was firmly convinced that hubby was moving me to the middle of the swamp, and that we'd be back in Binghamton within 6 months. What I found was a community full of some of the warmest, friendliest people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. Within several months, we had made some wonderful friendships, and some of these people have taken us in as family members. We have only ever spent one holiday by ourself, our first Christmas. After that, we've spent every holiday at our "Cajun Family's" house.

What did I note when moving there? As long as I was open to new things and accepting of the strong culture in the area, we were accepted with warm and welcoming arms. We did get asked by most people if we were Catholic or not - we are - since it's such a strong Catholic community. It didn't put us off because we left a large Catholic community and was used to it. We also get ribbed all the time about our last name - hubby is of Polish heritage - so we get alot of "You're not from around here, are you." The minute I say we've been there 8 years and love it there, the locals get a huge smile on their face.

Three years ago, hubby took a job in Houston and we made the decision to keep our home in Lafayette. We're within 15 years of his retirement, and we were always searching for where we wanted to retire. When faced with leaving Lafayette, we realized we had already found it and didn't want to move away permanently. So now, we burn up I-10 and go "home" whenever we can. I can't say enough about Lafayette. Simply love it there! (Despite the awful traffic). Can't wait until we're able to dump our townhouse in Houston and go back to Laffy permanently.
Now that was a delightful read. Thanks and best wishes!

Old 10-19-2012, 09:23 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,257,297 times
I've visited LA many times and enjoyed it. I think it has a very unique living culture and history that can be seen as easily as it can be heard. Conversely I also believe that moving to a new city, parish, county, state, region or country is a culture shock. It takes time to acquaint oneself to the habits of the city and its people - which may seem foreign to the newcomer. This is why I recommend visiting several times, reading local papers, listening to local radio, shopping at local stores and studying the phone book. These are the five tools I use to help me decide if said city "right" for me.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:27 PM

1 posts, read 3,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozydeaux View Post

18 more months for me before I can move to Laffy!!!!!! I hate Houston with a passion and will never ever return to the jungle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana