Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 08:58 AM

9 posts, read 55,297 times

Advertisements

So many, many helpful responses!! As of yesterday, we decided that Lafayette was the place for us! We put our transfer request in yesterday, and are looking forward to a new adventure in our life!!! I will keep posted what happens when we arrive!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 12:17 PM

519 posts, read 812,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgriffi1 View Post
Cost of rent in Lafayette is actually pretty high for a decent place. At the lowest 800 a month for a decnt place and probably closer to 1100 if you want something nice and centrally located.
What kind of places are these estimates for? House? apartment? size?

Old 02-09-2013, 08:41 AM

16,505 posts, read 26,152,051 times
Good luck with your choice, hope you love it here.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:26 AM

9 posts, read 55,297 times
I am sure we will! We are pretty adaptable and have a decent amount saved up just in case! I really appreciate the posts!

Old 02-09-2013, 11:00 AM

4 posts, read 11,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb05f View Post
What kind of places are these estimates for? House? apartment? size?

2 to 3 br, house or apt. The rent on the apt will run you higher than a house note. Size maybe 1000 sq ft to 1300. Lafayette housing is not cheap, but it is a nice place to live.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:18 PM

3 posts, read 6,889 times
My husband and I are moving to Lafayette in 3 weeks. We are buying our house, and the price is comparable to Dallas, but much higher than the suburban areas. We looked into renting for a while, but it was higher than we wanted to pay for a decent area. To pay that much, I'd rather be earning equity!
On our trips down there I've noticed that dinner out can be a bit pricey for a nice restaurant, but lunch is cheaper. The food is amazing, and everyone has been friendly to us so far. I've been warned about the mosquitoes and humidity but I can handle that. I'm really looking forward to the move!

Old 02-15-2013, 09:59 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,305,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmgregory View Post
My husband and I are moving to Lafayette in 3 weeks. We are buying our house, and the price is comparable to Dallas, but much higher than the suburban areas. We looked into renting for a while, but it was higher than we wanted to pay for a decent area. To pay that much, I'd rather be earning equity!
On our trips down there I've noticed that dinner out can be a bit pricey for a nice restaurant, but lunch is cheaper. The food is amazing, and everyone has been friendly to us so far. I've been warned about the mosquitoes and humidity but I can handle that. I'm really looking forward to the move!
I would like to welcome you to our fun little city! If you have questions we will of course be glad to answer them. If you are indeed coming in three weeks, you should be just in time for the late April Festival International. I love to talk about it here because its such a memorable experience and its free to attend, drawing hundreds of thousands of visitors every year. It will be a great introduction to what this city can offer despite its relatively diminutive size.

Last edited by Innotech; 02-15-2013 at 10:50 PM..

Old 02-16-2013, 11:02 AM

519 posts, read 812,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmgregory View Post
On our trips down there I've noticed that dinner out can be a bit pricey for a nice restaurant, but lunch is cheaper. The food is amazing, and everyone has been friendly to us so far.
I noticed on here that people keep saying how great the food is in Lafayette, but it seems like they only mention Cajun. I do like Cajun cuisine, but when people say the food and the restaurants are great in Lafayette is that all they are talking about or is it a foodie town where you can find great food from a variety of cuisines?

On a different note is Lafayette more integrated or segregated?

Old 02-16-2013, 11:54 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,305,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb05f View Post
I noticed on here that people keep saying how great the food is in Lafayette, but it seems like they only mention Cajun. I do like Cajun cuisine, but when people say the food and the restaurants are great in Lafayette is that all they are talking about or is it a foodie town where you can find great food from a variety of cuisines?

On a different note is Lafayette more integrated or segregated?
You can also find other things. I go out for Greek/Lebanese/Italian/Mexican/Cajun/Barbecue/Indian/Thai/ Vietnamese/Japanese/Chinese on a fairly regular basis and there are excellent restaurants for all of them and multiple choices as well. For example I like Athena's for Greek and Lebanese, Coyote Blues for Mexican, Masala's for Indian, Thai cuisine for Thai, Maesone noodle house for Vietnamese pho, Sakura's for Japanese, and Hai Nam for buffet Chinese. Lafayette offers a lot of choices, as well as some local favorites and small chains like Izzo's Illegal burrito which are gigantic made to order burritos that are amazing. If you like to eat a variety of world cuisines, Lafayette will still serve you well.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:28 PM

209 posts, read 458,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adandjess View Post
The job is located in Eureka, CA

I want to say something about Eureka and Lafayette.

Positive about Lafayette:
1. VERY GREAT WEATER (you know that Eureka is Pacific coast, and overthere, Summer is only 50/60, that is extremely cold)

2. Bigger community (we are bigger than Eureka)

3. Strong high education (I guess your husband is a faculty, if I am right, I strongly recommend UL.)

4. Family friendly environment (Acadiana is a friendly community)

5. Low cost of house, and everything, maybe a little bit high than North Michigan (maybe Ann Arbor you live), but definitely lower than California in any sense.

6. No Income tax (Uncle Bobby is trying to make this happen)

Postivie about Eureka

1. Coastal Front (great access to Pacific Sea)

2. Small community (very small, 40K+, not big)

3. Great access to SFO/LAX, that is an advantage

4. Great pay at California public university than many public schools
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana