Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2013, 03:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,464 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if anyone on this board has lived in Houston and moved back to Lafayette. My husband and I have no family in Houston, moved here 13yrs ago for better jobs. Thinking about starting a family and moving back to our hometown of Lafayette. We both have professional jobs (RN and Librarian), just wonder if we'd regret leaving Houston. Really only have a few friends and our jobs keeping us in Houston. Has anyone moved back to Lafayette and had regrets? Or advice? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 08:34 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
I've lived there and moved back to Baton Rouge. I'm in my 20s so, Baton Rouge is boring to me for the most part. I don't know why you would miss Houston unless you like the big city amenities. What do you like about Houston that you think you may miss? Where do you live? I'm gonna take a swing and say Spring?

Old 10-09-2013, 03:17 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,324,621 times
Lafayette is growing like crazy. Plenty of amenities and vastly different from what you left 13 years ago.
Even more restaurants, a whole foods coming, lots of shopping and interesting stuff going on.
I think youll be pleasantly surprised by what you find now.

Old 04-22-2016, 11:22 PM

51 posts, read 80,475 times
Is there a trader joes in lafeyette yet or a whole foods??? Wegmans??

Where does everyone work, downtown or everywhere anywhere? lol

thanks

Old 04-23-2016, 01:30 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,324,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoolmate1959 View Post
Is there a trader joes in lafeyette yet or a whole foods??? Wegmans??

Where does everyone work, downtown or everywhere anywhere? lol

thanks
Trader joes -no
Wegmans- no
Whole Foods yes

Also a Costco and three Rouses markets which is a Louisiana franchise fairly upscale market similar to Whole Foods

People work all over the place. Theres no specific region really. Its kind of pandemonium during the day.
Downtown might surprise you with how much there is to do, despite how small it is.

Old 04-23-2016, 01:29 PM

17,604 posts, read 17,642,256 times
As an RN there are plenty of hospitals hiring.

Old 04-23-2016, 04:39 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,577,745 times
It's the age old question: Big city or small city?

I'm considering moving to Lafayette, now that I've retired. I'm going to look at houses in Lafayette and in Tyler, TX. I wouldn't regard Lafayette as a place to make the big bucks and build up a retirement account, unless you're one of the execs in the energy business. It's what I'd call a medium size city.

So it depends on what lifestyle you want. You'll get paid less in Laf., but the COL is lower (although I think medical care costs may be higher; I've been researching this). Lafayette has way lower property taxes than TX. But their HO ins. is way higher than where I am (Dallas), altho probably about the same as Houston. La. also has state income tax, though it's not much.

The traffic in Houston is horrendous, and the houses were so close together with narrow streets. It was claustrophobic to me. I checked out north Houston one weekend as a possible retirement place (I like big cities), but I hated it. Then I found out that Houston's COL is probably higher than Dallas'. So Houston was out.

If you're buying a house, Lafayette's housing prices, which are usually outrageous, are reasonable now because of the energy sector problems. A number of foreclosures. So now's a good time to buy there, before the energy business picks up again.

As for me, I prefer big cities while building a career and younger. The excitement, the opportunities to meet people, the amenities available, the sites to see, the opportunity to change jobs for more money or benefits, public transportation (I would take the bus or rail to the state fair or other events---it was so convenient and less time consuming and CHEAP! A lot of people did that.) But if you don't like the particular big city you live in, that's a different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana