U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2013, 11:06 AM

45 posts, read 73,676 times

Advertisements

We are interested in moving to Lafayette, LA from CT. I am married no kids, both Husband and I are retired. We love jazz, any clubs in town with just jazz?

Are Condos affordable here? We love to eat out. Would we fit in here? New Orleans is too expensive. Need an affordable but nice town /place to move to. Any suggestions? Thanks for any replies!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 07:45 PM

2,060 posts, read 5,088,784 times
This city has almost as many restaurants as people lol.
I dont know about what music the clubs play here but Im sure jazz is a part of it.
You will probably enjoy lafayette a lot though.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:33 PM

5,908 posts, read 3,992,752 times
Hey Rusty222. My husband and I moved to Lafayette from CT also, around 11 years ago. Love it here! Not terribly familiar with the different clubs, but there are plenty, as well as tons of restaurants.

Where in CT are you from? I was born and raised in Meriden, center of the state (I call it the armpit of the state, lol). Hubby was born and raised in the Prospect/Waterbury area, a couple of towns over from Meriden.

I see your post is from last month......have your plans moved forward towards Lafayettte, or elsewhere?

Old 12-26-2013, 07:13 AM

45 posts, read 73,676 times
I was born in Meriden! Small world! Now in Newington. Is Lafayette like Newington? Hubby loves jazz and is a drummer at heart, he would love to get to play in jazz clubs. Any in Lafayette? We want to be close to New Orleans too.

How is the housing market, we are thinking of a condo, 2br 2ba, We are senior citizens but young at heart. Eating out is our thing. We want a town with lots of different restaurants and atmosphere. Is this it? We are also considering Slidell, LA. any info on Slidell? Thanks for all the help/replies

Old 12-27-2013, 09:51 PM

5 posts, read 9,511 times
Default We're in Lafayette

Hi... We've lived in Lafayette for 12 years and are both musicians. It is a really liveable city... mostly safe, welcoming, fun. There aren't any clubs that I'm aware of that are jazz-only, but have some jazz. Cajun and Zydeco music are really the thing here, and blues to a lesser extent. There is a very active music scene here but it's not quite as jazz oriented as in NOLA. However, the best and easiest way to network with jazz musicians is probably the Tuesday night jazz jam at Bisbano's... pizza joint across the street from the UL Lafayette campus. If he's a drummer he should also check out Scott's Drum Center on Johnston St. near Ambassador Caffery.

Housing market is a bit overpriced for a city this size but not exorbitantly so. Should be cheaper than anything on the Northshore including Slidell.

We do have a lot of excellent restaurants here, plus Lafayette is the "hub" of Cajun culture (not NOLA) so this is the place if you want Cajun food and dance. Other close towns with excellent Cajun food include Abbeville and Breaux Bridge. People here love to eat, shop, eat some more, shop, and of course drink LOL.

We have lots and lots of festivals here. The two big ones in Lafayette are Festival Acadiens (fall) and Festival Internationale (spring, promotes international Francophone music and culture). Festival Internationale is typically scheduled during NOLA's Jazzfest so you might have to pick and choose. Plus there are a lot of cool festivals in the surrounding areas, including Crawfish Festival (Breaux Bridge), Frog Festival (Rayne), Cattle Festival (Abbeville) and many, many others. Oh, and we do have a real Mardi Gras, plus there are traditional Cajun Mardi Gras festivities in a lot of the outlying towns.

There isn't as much going on here as in NOLA, but if you like a slower pace with a lot of the amenities available only in larger markets (like our municipal fiber system), plus lots and lots of culture, Lafayette may be for you. Again, it is not NOLA so don't expect it to be like the big city. Our traffic is kind of bad but that's because our infrastructure hasn't caught up with our population growth. But it's not big city bad... mostly crawling down surface streets toward the mall bad.

BTW, I'm also a transplant from the northeast... originally from upstate NY.

Last edited by lowb35; 12-27-2013 at 10:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana