Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 06:10 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,464,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampgrrl View Post
You get 4% credit from most states though. I have a 4% credit through Georgia, unfortunately Orleans Parish has an additional 5% which isn't credited.
And I want to say if you paid sales tax elsewhere, they credit the STATE's portion, while you still pay the PARISH'S portion. In other words, the remaining 4%/5% you've heard mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 08:42 PM

25 posts, read 119,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampgrrl View Post
You get 4% credit from most states though. I have a 4% credit through Georgia, unfortunately Orleans Parish has an additional 5% which isn't credited.
I see that LA has a reciprocating agreement with FL for sales tax. I will not have to pay the 4% LA state tax but will have to pay the 4.50% Terrebone Parish tax. This is much easier to swallow, though I'm still considering just renewing my Florida registration for one more year and hoping I don't get caught. Moving is expensive enough without all these damned taxes and fees.

Was the credit you got from Georgia immediately waived at the time of your vehicle registration, or was there an actual refund check cut to you after you paid the full LA registration fees?

Old 01-01-2008, 09:22 PM

595 posts, read 2,343,493 times
Its waived when you get your tag. What you are doing in effect is paying the sales tax again. Its the Orleans Parish tax that kills me.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:27 AM

25 posts, read 119,408 times
Thanks for the advice everyone!

Old 01-05-2008, 09:34 PM

54 posts, read 192,998 times
Wow; it really sucks if you have a very expensive car!

Old 03-02-2010, 01:41 PM

67 posts, read 170,239 times
So I'm brining this one back from the past with a question. If you have a registration that's good for 2 years from a previous state, so long as you get in state insurance and DL are you clear until such time that the registration expires? Or would you be ticketed?

Old 03-02-2010, 02:32 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,411,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMan View Post
Word of warning - the biennial registration itself is relatively cheap, but they make you pay sales tax on a portion of the market value of the car when tagging the car in Louisiana for the first time. So it's kind of an "ouch." I want to say it'll be 4% of 75% of the market value, so a $20,000 car wold cost $600 in addition to the registration fees.
This is correct... FAR from cheap. But at least there are no annual property taxes on cars here (yet).

ALSO: If you have not already gotten your LA operator's permit, the price will go from $21.50 to $36.50 on March 8, so it behooves you to get this done this week before the rates go up.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeagleWeagle View Post
So I'm brining this one back from the past with a question. If you have a registration that's good for 2 years from a previous state, so long as you get in state insurance and DL are you clear until such time that the registration expires? Or would you be ticketed?
The law says that you have 30 days to register your vehicle in the state. Checking that your car is properly registered in the state is not a high priority for the cops, so as long as you don't get involved in an accident or a checkpoint for inspection stickers (and you don't get pulled over for a traffic violation) you could probably do OK. (A neighbor across the street has been there for a few years and still has TX plates on his truck.)

If you don't change your plates, I'd strongly suggest you stay with your old permit too. At least that way you can lie to the cop that pulls you over for something else.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:50 PM

67 posts, read 170,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
The law says that you have 30 days to register your vehicle in the state. Checking that your car is properly registered in the state is not a high priority for the cops, so as long as you don't get involved in an accident or a checkpoint for inspection stickers (and you don't get pulled over for a traffic violation) you could probably do OK. (A neighbor across the street has been there for a few years and still has TX plates on his truck.)

If you don't change your plates, I'd strongly suggest you stay with your old permit too. At least that way you can lie to the cop that pulls you over for something else.
My understanding is actually that you have 30 days to get a DL, not plates (registration). Not much point in keeping an out of state DL though if you have to get in state insurance...would definately give you up. Insurance will be the first to give you up.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeagleWeagle View Post
My understanding is actually that you have 30 days to get a DL, not plates (registration). Not much point in keeping an out of state DL though if you have to get in state insurance...would definately give you up. Insurance will be the first to give you up.
It's BOTH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana