Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 05:55 PM

7 posts, read 53,173 times

Advertisements

Can anyone advise what is the cost of registering cars that you currently own when moving from another state (Ohio) into LA.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2007, 09:21 PM

794 posts, read 3,358,109 times
I know auto registrations in this state are relatively cheap compared to other nearby states, but you make up for it in insurance here. Mine is about $25. I think that's the case for most cars depending on the value of the car. Trucks and SUVs varies by weight as well, but it still isn't that much.
I paid beaucoup in Mississippi registering a car ($280+), but had cheap insurance rates ($100 for 6 month policy - [1995 rates]). Here I pay cheap registration, but my insurance is several times what it was in MS (like near $700 for a 6 month policy).

I'm not sure how this site is on links, so just google Louisiana OMV or DPS (Dept of Public Safety) and that should get you info that you need, if there are any special fees for out-of-state transfers, etc.

Old 11-25-2007, 03:43 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,271,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darylwi View Post
I'm not sure how this site is on links, so just google Louisiana OMV or DPS (Dept of Public Safety) and that should get you info that you need, if there are any special fees for out-of-state transfers, etc.
MODERATOR: Links are fine per the Terms of Service (see link below), although full copyrighted articles or pictures, real estate ads, and competitive websites will be deleted. Please refer to these rules for any questions or post in the About the Forum section located at the bottom of the opening page.

//www.city-data.com/forum/faq/9...rum-rules.html

Old 11-26-2007, 07:12 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,466,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drigrob70 View Post
Can anyone advise what is the cost of registering cars that you currently own when moving from another state (Ohio) into LA.

Thanks
Word of warning - the biennial registration itself is relatively cheap, but they make you pay sales tax on a portion of the market value of the car when tagging the car in Louisiana for the first time. So it's kind of an "ouch." I want to say it'll be 4% of 75% of the market value, so a $20,000 car wold cost $600 in addition to the registration fees.

Old 11-26-2007, 12:08 PM

83 posts, read 523,416 times
Yes, what BRMan said. My husband recently went to Vegas to pick up a car he bought from his mom. When he got back here he had to pay 9% of the trade in value of the car. That was for our parish. The percentage varies by parish but not much. I think the state is 4% and then our parish tax was 5%.

Old 11-26-2007, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyW. View Post
Yes, what BRMan said. My husband recently went to Vegas to pick up a car he bought from his mom. When he got back here he had to pay 9% of the trade in value of the car. That was for our parish. The percentage varies by parish but not much. I think the state is 4% and then our parish tax was 5%.
So the long and short of it is this - if you want to tag a car in Louisiana, you WILL, at some point, have to pay sales tax. Either at the time you purchase it or when you register it when you move in from another state.

Granted, my experience was over a decade ago, but I recall only having to pay the state portion when I tagged my car here. There's some kind of credit you get for paying sales taxes to another state to where you don't pay the state + parish tax rates.

Old 11-26-2007, 12:30 PM

Default Some helpful information

Louisiana Car Registration Guide - Forms, Locations & Hours - DMV.ORG

"$18.50 title fee
$8 handling fee, which varies by location
$15 fee to record liens using UCC-1 financing statements; $10 for all others
License fee based on the type, weight, and vehicle selling price
Sales and usage tax based on the selling price and location and domicile code....'

Old 01-01-2008, 10:45 AM

25 posts, read 119,450 times
This is ridiculous. I have to pay sales tax on a vehicle I already paid sales tax on in a different state?

My trade in value is $7500. So I have to pay approx $700 when I register my pickup for the first time in LA?

Old 01-01-2008, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsepow3r View Post
This is ridiculous. I have to pay sales tax on a vehicle I already paid sales tax on in a different state?

My trade in value is $7500. So I have to pay approx $700 when I register my pickup for the first time in LA?
Yes, the first time you tag a car in Louisiana, you pay sales tax. If the calculation is done the same way it was when I moved to Louisiana in 1994, it was 4% of 75% of blue book value. Which in English is 7500 * 0.75 * 0.04 = $225. You're supposed to get a credit for a certain amount (about 5%, maybe ?) for paying sales tax to another state.

Yes, this sucks, but when you renew your registration thereafter (every 2 years(new) or 4 years (used)), it costs less than $50.

Old 01-01-2008, 05:45 PM

595 posts, read 2,344,250 times
You get 4% credit from most states though. I have a 4% credit through Georgia, unfortunately Orleans Parish has an additional 5% which isn't credited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana