U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 04:17 AM

11 posts, read 41,867 times

Advertisements

Hey there. I lived in Louisiana for three years while in the Army. I miss it there a lot!! As a disabled veteran, I can no longer afford to live in California. Unless of course I want my kids to grow up in the illegal alien ghetto and have my kids around drugs or shot at. All the affordable areas are crime ridden and you must speak spanish thanks to California turning a blind eye. We are moving to Louisiana in late January, early February. Anyone know of a good quite town on the west side of the state that has homes that are affordable? I have my VA loan and disability to live with, but that's all. Any help would be great. Thanks, Mike n Gina
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 07:32 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,120,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike n Gina View Post
Hey there. I lived in Louisiana for three years while in the Army. I miss it there a lot!! As a disabled veteran, I can no longer afford to live in California. Unless of course I want my kids to grow up in the illegal alien ghetto and have my kids around drugs or shot at. All the affordable areas are crime ridden and you must speak spanish thanks to California turning a blind eye. We are moving to Louisiana in late January, early February. Anyone know of a good quite town on the west side of the state that has homes that are affordable? I have my VA loan and disability to live with, but that's all. Any help would be great. Thanks, Mike n Gina
For veterans, Alexandria would work for you - with Ft Polk and (formerly) England AFB, they still have an infrqastructure (VA hospitals, etc) to support the military.

And Alexandria is pretty safe once you go outside of Macarthur Drive. Plus, it's small enough to where you are in the country after a few minutes' drive.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:33 PM

667 posts, read 2,199,952 times
You lucky dog, YOU! I grew up in Chataignier, LA. VERY little town, well, that's if it even qualifies as a "town."

My grandparents & aunt & uncle still live in Lake Charles. VERY nice town, family oriented & just plain beautiful.

Sulphur is also a nice place. And there is ghetto everywhere. I've never been to Cali, but don't neccesarily have it on my 'To Do list', either!
Good luck to you!

Old 12-06-2007, 05:36 PM

772 posts, read 4,188,366 times
Bossier City is on the western side of Louisiana, across from Shreveport. Crime is very low here and we have a very large veterans' network. We have, of course, Barksdale Air Force Base and we have a very large, historic VA hospital located across the river in Shreveport.

Bossier City is growing very fast but is still much smaller than Shreveport and crime is extremely low. For a retiree who's not into the hustle-and-bustle, you could even live in south Bossier or a neighboring suburban area or rural town. There are even nice suburban areas west and south of Shreveport that are still considered "Shreveport" but very nice, convenient places in which to live.

Whatever you do, good luck and Louisiana welcomes you back! Despite its problems, this is a great state... north, south, east and west!!

Old 12-07-2007, 08:58 AM

83 posts, read 498,017 times
Leesville is a nice little town near Fort Polk. Actually most of the towns around Fort Polk are nice and quiet. That's if you need to be near military.

I live in the southwest corner. East of Lake Charles. I was born and raised here. My husband is from Vegas and he loves it here so much, you couldn't pay him to move back. It's a great place to raise kids. The town we live in has nothing but a convenience store and a shop, which my husband is the mechanic for. lol Oh and we have a good little school that I can be at peace to send my kids to. Not the place if you're looking for modern conveniences outside your door, but it's not a far drive to get to them.

Old 12-07-2007, 11:54 AM

80 posts, read 108,489 times
Lafayette, Leesville, DeRidder, Crowley, Jennings, etc. are all good/decent choices.

Old 12-18-2007, 10:09 PM

11 posts, read 41,867 times
Leesville is definitely not the place for me. Actually, I am not looking to move into a town, but in the outskirts or more rural. I have to say, I don't think I will ever leave again after we get back. I've missed living there since I left. No where has ever felt so much like home to me. Thank you all for the help and input. Mike and Gina

Old 12-24-2007, 09:18 AM

23 posts, read 105,389 times
Quiet? Rural? small schools? Nice people? Easy access to bigger towns? Try looking into Welsh, Jefferson Davis Parrish. I'm a refugee from Texas, moved 8 times in 3 years. I have now unhitched my horses from my gypsy wagon and planted my feet here....sigh-I love it!

Old 12-24-2007, 03:52 PM

80 posts, read 108,489 times
Ahh.. good ole Welsh. Where cops drive unmarked cars just to ticket you. I can't stand that place.

Old 12-24-2007, 05:22 PM

23 posts, read 105,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald120 View Post
Ahh.. good ole Welsh. Where cops drive unmarked cars just to ticket you. I can't stand that place.
as if they don't do that everywhere? Just last summer we were pulled over in Houston for my foot on the dash and my seat laid to far back (and before any wisecracks....I was in the passenger seat of a van.....alone! ) Pray sir, what did you get a ticket for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana