Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 02:21 PM

1 posts, read 31,293 times

Advertisements

I am a Katrina survivor who swam in the stormsurge with my two dogs in Waveland Ms. where I moved to from New Orleans a few years before Katrina hit (both to take care of my Mom and the rising crime pervading New Orleans) and was relocated to Arkansas--which is beautifull but just not home, if that makes sense. I have ruled out New Orleans as a place to return to---the crime is worse than when I left!!--but wonder what places are lower in crime, have some affordable housing and jobs. I have heard the Northshore is VERY expensive and yet have heard Hammond is a reasonable spot. Not looking for heaven on Earth---but a reasonable place to run the years out in southern Louisiana. Any feedback gang?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2007, 04:15 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,464,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbomu View Post
I am a Katrina survivor who swam in the stormsurge with my two dogs in Waveland Ms. where I moved to from New Orleans a few years before Katrina hit (both to take care of my Mom and the rising crime pervading New Orleans) and was relocated to Arkansas--which is beautifull but just not home, if that makes sense. I have ruled out New Orleans as a place to return to---the crime is worse than when I left!!--but wonder what places are lower in crime, have some affordable housing and jobs. I have heard the Northshore is VERY expensive and yet have heard Hammond is a reasonable spot. Not looking for heaven on Earth---but a reasonable place to run the years out in southern Louisiana. Any feedback gang?
Of course, it all depends on what type of job you want to take. My thought, assuming you could live almost anywhere in SE Louisiana:

(1) St Tammany Parish has become expensive and congested;
(2) Hammond/Pontchatoula in Tangipahoa Parish might work - they're building like crazy there
(3) The eastern part of Livingston Parish (Holden, Satsuma, Livingston) are getting some Orlenians
(4) Parts of Ascension (Sorrento, Gonzales, Pelican Point subdivision near Gonzales) might also work

Old 12-10-2007, 03:08 PM

794 posts, read 3,356,543 times
St. Tammany is getting expensive and the infrastructure is frantically trying to catch up to the growth. Tangipahoa might be your better bet.
Livingston and Ascension are also good choices depending on exactly what you are looking for. But if you want to avoid future flooding, you may want to avoid the diversion canal and along the Amite River in lower Livingston. Even if you're above the flood plain, you might risk being blocked out of your driveway or road even.

Old 12-15-2007, 06:11 PM

474 posts, read 1,416,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbomu View Post
I would recommend Lafayette and the surrounding area. We lived down there for 3 years while attending USL and loved the area. Still has a lot of Cajun influence AND the food was so delicious. Good luck!

Old 12-20-2007, 10:09 AM

17 posts, read 104,773 times
It seemed to me when i was there in March that Mandeville was an EXCELLENT area to live. Possibly pricy, but you are right down the causeway from New Orleans...

Old 12-22-2007, 12:45 PM

6 posts, read 46,020 times
I'd say right now that Bossier City will be "THE PLACE" it will be home to a large research park pretty soon.. similar to the one in Huntsville. Soon to be the home of the nations cyber command center.. theyre saying at least 10,000 jobs are coming with this.. it should change the entire regions economy.

Old 12-23-2007, 03:11 AM

2 posts, read 33,051 times
Try Bastrop in Morehouse Parish.

Old 12-24-2007, 07:01 AM

23 posts, read 111,867 times
If you are looking to retire, I would suggest looking into Jefferson Davis Parrish. It is full of small towns, country living. The jobs don't pay much, but it doesn't cost much to live here. there are lots of houses for sell, and land. New construction all the time. Welsh is 22 miles east of Lake Charles, 60 miles west of Lafayette, and a Wal-Mart 10 miles in Jennings. For beauty, look into the town of Lake Arther. Just a thought....

Old 12-26-2007, 12:38 PM

2 posts, read 40,329 times
Default Cajun Country

Lifelong resident, so I'm biased, but Breaux Bridge is a great town. Very trendy, but not full of ourselves. Great central location (5 minutes from Lafayette, on I-10), so statewide travel is easy. You're in baton Rouge in about an hour, etc.

Housing is really not too bad, price wise, and the people are great. Lovely downtown character, yet still 'with it' when it comes to keeping up with the times. Perfect bedroom community to Lafayette, which is an increasing technological area. (fiber optic city-wide very soon).

On the edge of the Atchafalaya basin, one of America's largest frshwater playgrounds, and we're home to the World Famous Crawfish Festival. Not to mention near some of the best festivals in the state. Mardi Gras is great here, too!

UL is a great college, and it's minutes away.

breauxbridgelive.com

Old 12-26-2007, 05:11 PM

768 posts, read 4,385,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDonn View Post
Lifelong resident, so I'm biased, but Breaux Bridge is a great town. Very trendy, but not full of ourselves. Great central location (5 minutes from Lafayette, on I-10), so statewide travel is easy. You're in baton Rouge in about an hour, etc.

Housing is really not too bad, price wise, and the people are great. Lovely downtown character, yet still 'with it' when it comes to keeping up with the times. Perfect bedroom community to Lafayette, which is an increasing technological area. (fiber optic city-wide very soon).

On the edge of the Atchafalaya basin, one of America's largest frshwater playgrounds, and we're home to the World Famous Crawfish Festival. Not to mention near some of the best festivals in the state. Mardi Gras is great here, too!

UL is a great college, and it's minutes away.

breauxbridgelive.com
Even as someone from north Louisiana and having only limited experiences with Breaux Bridge, I'd say I agree with this. It seems like a nice town and that crawfish festival is awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana