Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2014, 05:30 PM

9,126 posts, read 5,757,214 times

Advertisements

The 5 Happiest Cities In America Are In One State & The Unhappiest Places Have One Thing in Common

Quote:
Some might suspect that they’re just putting something in the water,
but the five happiest cities in America are all in the same state: Louisiana.
Those cities are Lafayette, Houma, Shreveport-Bossier City, Baton Rouge, and Alexandria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 08:18 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,298,027 times
I can believe it!

Old 07-27-2014, 08:10 PM

105 posts, read 152,975 times
People in Louisiana generally don't care what's behind the proverbial door #2. As long as oil and the government fund many of our cities, there is no need to look further for anything else. Besides New Orleans (not on the list) and Alexandria, all major cities in Louisiana are supported by oil or government (public education, Barksdale).

I have looked behind door #2 and I think the advantage that Louisiana has over many states is that there is no stigma to not being perfect (e.g. you will often hear "My brother has been in jail for 7 years" in South Louisiana, in the Northern US you will hear "My daughter goes to Sarah Lawrence College"). People here attempt then embrace the outcome. In other parts of our country they struggle for the outcome they want. This is why the North has social movements and new technology and stuff.

Someone on NPR once said. people in the south ask you who you know, the midwesterns talk about the weather, the west coasters talk about where they work, and the northeasterns will ask where you went to grad school.

Both mindsets are important and I definitely learned a lot from the South Louisiana "laugh about it" attitude.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:47 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,298,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muer22 View Post
People in Louisiana generally don't care what's behind the proverbial door #2. As long as oil and the government fund many of our cities, there is no need to look further for anything else. Besides New Orleans (not on the list) and Alexandria, all major cities in Louisiana are supported by oil or government (public education, Barksdale).

I have looked behind door #2 and I think the advantage that Louisiana has over many states is that there is no stigma to not being perfect (e.g. you will often hear "My brother has been in jail for 7 years" in South Louisiana, in the Northern US you will hear "My daughter goes to Sarah Lawrence College"). People here attempt then embrace the outcome. In other parts of our country they struggle for the outcome they want. This is why the North has social movements and new technology and stuff.

Someone on NPR once said. people in the south ask you who you know, the midwesterns talk about the weather, the west coasters talk about where they work, and the northeasterns will ask where you went to grad school.

Both mindsets are important and I definitely learned a lot from the South Louisiana "laugh about it" attitude.
Except that Lafayette is definitely embracing technology and change
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana