Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 07:44 PM

5,036 posts, read 4,350,891 times

Advertisements

The papermill in Pineville is located in a very isolated area to the east of the city. I live in southwest side of Alexandria and I never notice the smell of the mill where I live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 08:48 AM

420 posts, read 478,579 times
Omg, people love to bash Monroe!!! The smell is you are talking about "near" Monroe, is a paper mill thats in the Pineville equivalent town of West Monroe. Monroe is a very clean city, I seem to realize it alot after coming back from Shreveport/Bossier City......hmmmm.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:30 PM

78 posts, read 930,216 times
SBCMetroGuy - Have to say, I do have personal reasons why I dislike Alexandria so much. My husband probably does too.

I personally haven't spent much time in Alexandria, just passing through so not sure about the smell there. Yes, WM does have an odor at times, especially when the weather is bad. And although I was raised in this area, having lived in other places for many years, honestly, I am ready to get back out of here. Have to stay for a while though so figure while I am here might as well enjoy the food, etc. Its got its good points but overall, pretty boring place in comparison, I suppose.

Old 02-02-2008, 02:04 PM

14 posts, read 83,919 times
WHOA Monroe is not clean at all. i travel through it to west monroe everyday downtown is sooo rundown, and there is nothing to do there at all jus the same was bastrop were i live but the nissan factory chose not to build because monroe was to trashy.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:05 PM

21 posts, read 84,850 times
Alexandria isn't that bad. It doesn't smell (except for going by the paper mill) and is pretty nice. I lived in and around there for 21 years. There are movie theatres, a mall, zoo, couple of good bars, nice restaurants (not just fast food), a petsmart, the coliseum (where loads of entertainment comes through), good schools around the area, etc.
It's an all around nice place. If you don't live "downtown" you're doing great. The suburbs and outskirts, or smaller towns, are great!

I'll be moving back to either Alexandria or Shreveport in the summer of 2009.

Old 03-23-2008, 03:55 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
I grew up in Alexandria way "back when." It's grown a lot; my sister still lives there and likes it. I wouldn't go back because of the heat and humidity. Both in the 90s are too much for me!

Old 09-08-2008, 10:43 PM

3 posts, read 6,000 times
Exclamation alexandria is like..

I have lived to ohter states since living in alexandria and coming back to it, (alex) is horrifying. I do not feel safe, people are very loud and in your face, men look you up and down alll day long like you are a piece of meat, no one respects traffic laws and everyone is looking for a fight over race or ego or just SOMETHING!!!! It is definately a place that you just know where to be and when and not to go out at night alone because i have had to run to my car and drive away recklessly because a man way like "HEY BABYYY" and coming after me.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:33 AM

21 posts, read 84,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stopabortion View Post
I have lived to ohter states since living in alexandria and coming back to it, (alex) is horrifying. I do not feel safe, people are very loud and in your face, men look you up and down alll day long like you are a piece of meat, no one respects traffic laws and everyone is looking for a fight over race or ego or just SOMETHING!!!! It is definately a place that you just know where to be and when and not to go out at night alone because i have had to run to my car and drive away recklessly because a man way like "HEY BABYYY" and coming after me.
When I lived around there, and worked in alex, it wasn't NEAR as dreadful as what you are saying. No matter where you live there are always going to be the "weird men" and "reckless drivers". I went out in Alex when I was 18-20 and never felt 'unsafe'. Most people don't go out alone anyways.
It sounds like you were in the downtown area where all the undesireables are.

Old 09-15-2008, 04:43 AM

10 posts, read 45,414 times
As long as you stay out of downtown, you should be fine. We live in Pineville (right across the bridge), and we have no problems. I lived in Alex for about a year, and I never saw anything bad in the better parts of town.

As for the plant in Pineville, you can't even smell it all over Pineville, much less in Alexandria. You have to be right in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana