Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 02:38 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,974,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenThereDunThat View Post
Bigger ponds at least soften the frustration by offering more diversity in many, many ways. In a smaller pond you can't escape it but in larger metros you at least have more options than in a smaller community.
It would be interesting to see everything underlying what you just said expanded on and explained. Things like why the frustration and what it's about, how diversity factors in and examples of "more diversity in many, many ways", and exactly how bigger ponds (bigger metros) soften the frustration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 07:38 PM

974 posts, read 2,184,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
It would be interesting to see everything underlying what you just said expanded on and explained. Things like why the frustration and what it's about, how diversity factors in and examples of "more diversity in many, many ways", and exactly how bigger ponds (bigger metros) soften the frustration.
Oh it's really pretty fundamental when you think about it. In a smaller community it's really easy for circles to merge. Take your circle at work, your boss or supervisor is also involved with your church circle or your civic group circle or your golf club circle or kid's high school circle, or .... etc...etc... The same goes for the usual gang of civic cronies who always seem to appear on every group, organization or event. Sure some say that's just being civic-minded but I can relate too many occasions where these status-seekers get involved just enough to get a mention and stagnate the pond of progress. But in a bigger metro, your boss or supervisor may commute from the opposite direction where you live. So your private circles or social circles won't cross or merge in most cases. And there's simpley more opportunities to choose from so you're not limited as to what areas or activities with which you may consider to become involved. Living in bigger burgs offer more variety and diversity... this means you have:

-- More DIVERSE choices of careers in same field -- (You're not limited if you hate your job.)
-- More DIVERSE choices of neighborhoods -- (You don't have to live in the same zip as your boss.)
-- More DIVERSE choices of social opportunities -- (Don't like your country club? Quit and find another.)
-- More DIVERSE choices of schools -- (Ditto)
-- More DIVERSE choices of ( fill in your blank ). (Think about it, betcha there's something.)

It's really not that hard to figure out if you apply some critical thinking to the subject. Frustration can result in being "boxed in"... your job isn't what you had hoped yet there's not too many options in a smaller burg for the same type of occupation if you have a specialty. This is what's happening in my area as there are only two (yep that's right) two major hospital groups and they have a practical duopoly on all things healthcare-wise both for patients AND employees. And then there's the same shuffling of the deck when it comes to local politics, civic events, etc., etc. Sure there will always be some of the "same ol' faces" in the mix, but in larger communities you'll always see a healthy mix of newcomers up for the challenge to shake things up, ergo more diversity in leadership. Not so much in smaller burgs and that's where the frustration comes in having local inertia take hold. It's like no one wants to rock the boat simply because they're too busy trying to get invited to climb aboard.

"Here's the new boss.... same as the old boss ..."

And so it goes. It's not that hard to figure out really, unless one falls victim to the practice of "accommodation"....a psychological term for getting used to "the way things are" and considering them "the norm".

Last edited by BeenThereDunThat; 11-13-2014 at 07:48 PM..

Old 11-13-2014, 07:42 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
I sure have noticed it between Houston and Baton Rouge.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:06 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,974,728 times
^Thanks for the answer, BeenThereDunThat.

Makes you wonder if it takes a certain quality to be able to survive or even thrive in such an environment where you can't easily jump ship and place yourself around new people.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:33 PM

Quote:
^Thanks for the answer, BeenThereDunThat.

Makes you wonder if it takes a certain quality to be able to survive or even thrive in such an environment where you can't easily jump ship and place yourself around new people.
It takes a certain person. Most people around me are completely comfortable with the area, I've been itching to move for a long time and I did as soon as I could. When the quality of life doesn't provide enough for a person, they will desire to move.

Old 11-13-2014, 10:44 PM

974 posts, read 2,184,587 times
I'll add just one more thing: Cultural conformity. Now I'm not a stick-in-the-mud type of person when it comes to celebratory occasions. I enjoy a good social outing, food & drink and some slight revelry from time-to-time. But here's where I differ from the status-quo: I'm no fanatic. Let's take LSU game-day parties or Mardi Gras..... I've witnessed colleagues go from button-down professionals and working-stiffs to in-your-face fanatics about all things LSU or Mardi Gras.
I mean I understand being loyal to an alma mater or a certain affection for a lifestyle.... but when people get really, really upset about sporting events to the point of vulgarity and childishness... I'm outta there. There's just too much aggressiveness in the exuberance for the event. It's really mindboggling. And then there's Mardi Gras.... just waaay too much over-indulgence for my taste.... and by that I'm talking about the alcohol. Again...after witnessing too many embarrassing moments on the part of my colleagues and their wives and/or girlfriends... I quit accepting invites... so much in fact that I've gotten flak about it. Not that I've openly criticized or commented about certain behaviours mind you... I just politely would say that I'm giving up Mardi Gras or LSU Football for lent or advent.. respectively. And I've gotten a little blow-back from being a non-participant. I think my voluntary absence from such events has created an awareness among some in the form of cognitive dissonance I suppose but I would be only guessing.

Anyways... if you don't strive to fit in, you will stand out and that may not serve you well if social custom bleeds into your working relationships, etc.

Old 11-14-2014, 02:38 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,323,842 times
If were talking about metro size Lafayette is what it is. Theres not much the city can do about how big it is. But for the size of city it is, lafayette offers a whole lot of diversity in a lot of ways.
I see what a much larger metro can offer but Im comfortable here because the city offers me a whole lot without having to resort to larger metros and all the headaches of driving 2 hours a day to work.
I also enjoy the feeling of community. People in huge cities are so impersonal and as a social creature I hate that.
Maybe people in Louisiana are fanatics of one fanbase or another but its exciting to be a part of that group.
This might not work for everyone but it certainly does for me. I dont think Houston actually could offer me the enjoyment that I get here.

Old 11-15-2014, 11:21 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,783,535 times
As anywhere else, you take the good with the bad. I haven't been to a single place that was an exception.

Old 11-15-2014, 11:24 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,783,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
If we could have a gulf coast state, splitting Louisiana in half (north to south), and add the panhandles of MS and AL, I think that state would be pretty great to live in.
What exactly would that change, regarding culture and quality of life?

Old 11-15-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
What exactly would that change, regarding culture and quality of life?
I don't think it would change much, except we would probably jump up in GDP rankings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana