U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2014, 02:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,543 times

Advertisements

Hello guys. I might be moving to Louisiana with my family but I have a few questions about it.

What are the best schools in each city?
What is the cost if living in each city?
What are the best neighborhoods?
What is life like in the Bayou state?

If most of you say New Orleans for example, my family and I would go live there. Majority rules.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 07:54 PM

136 posts, read 179,213 times
New Orleans: sky high property costs. Loads to do. Fun city. Great food. Nightmare traffic. Public schools are generally considered bad-- most go private/catholic schools.... Very pricy for private education.

Baton Rouge: nightmare traffic. LSU and tailgating. Lots to do. Don't know about home prices. "Cancer alley".

Lafayette: a real gem. Getting to be nightmare traffic. Great food. Cajuns. Great food. Fun. Cajuns. Growth spurt.

Lake Charles: watch this one. Industry growing. Expected to be city with up and coming growth. Don't know much more about it.

Ville Platte: Cajun country. Rice fields. Country. No growth. Family atmosphere. Not much to do aside from hunting, fishing, camping, etc.

Alexandria: o.k. Everyone your second cousin you haven't met yet. Lots of medical jobs. Jumping off spot to see the rest of the state. Decent home prices. Pineville area (included in the demographic) is really pretty. Fun fact: the original LSU campus is located where the current VA hospital is in Pineville. Has a age 18 months through 15 year old private Montessori school.

Shreveport/Bossier City: S'port declining population. Bossier growing population. Very baptist/bible belt of Louisiana (north La is Baptist, south la is catholic). Call themselves the arklatex. Kinda wishes they were in Texas. Hunting, fishing, camping. Family.

I like Lafayette a lot. But I don't live there and have no plans to live there in the near future.

Old 11-15-2014, 07:59 PM

In Louisiana, north of I-10 is considered to be "the North" lol.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:01 PM

187 posts, read 578,805 times
Covington/Mandeville #1 in state. Great schools, low crime, good people.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:11 PM

Covington/mandeville/north shore in general are all very nice.

Old 11-15-2014, 09:02 PM

15,340 posts, read 22,734,833 times
Baton Rouge: Traffic is terrible, LSU is king, growing and diversifying economy. Public schools are generally bad, most send the children to private school, Woodlawn or Baton Rouge High, or move to the suburbs for better schools. And by better schools I mean less poor kids with apathetic parents. Housing prices are low, especially compared to NY. Best neighborhoods depends on your criteria, you may like Tara and I would prefer Mid-City South.

In order to get more in detail, what's your desires in a city and neighborhood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana