Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 07:44 PM

194 posts, read 528,823 times

Advertisements

The red areas are places that the City of Lake Charles should annex. These are developed areas that are surrounded by the city, and would add to the tax base. For the most part they are residential. The green area is part of south Lake Charles, an area that continues to add homes and will for the the foreseeable future. Parts of it as well should be added to the city as it grows. This is the only way that this city will move beyond the 'small town' mentality. I estimate that the places surrounded by the city have around 3,000-4,000 citizens. Adding parts of the green area and beyond would add well over 10,000 to the population of the city.

Attached Thumbnails
Areas That Lake Charles Should Annex-lake-charles-city-limits-copy.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 08:24 PM

136 posts, read 200,220 times
If they are outside of the tax base, what would be their incentive to annex?

Old 12-11-2014, 06:21 AM

370 posts, read 446,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTtcg View Post
move beyond the 'small town' mentality. I estimate that the places surrounded by the city have around 3,000-4,000 citizens. Adding parts of the green area and beyond would add well over 10,000 to the population of the city.
CTtcg,
Nice to see someone talking about real community issues here! Let's have a constructive discussion for the benefit of all who read this forum and make this a great city!

Your argument is that by adding more developed areas to the city of Lake Charles, that they can improve their ‘small town’ mentality and improve the tax base.
The problem with your argument is:

1) Lake Charles is filled with many undeveloped, blighted areas. Growing the city of Lake Charles to increase taxes is only covering up what government employees are not doing.

2) If the City of Lake Charles and its residents worked harder to collect taxes on the blighted areas and encourage the community to work together to solve these issues by working in the community with the residents to solve these problems then the tax base would improve.

Solving this critical issue before growing Lake Charles city limits will not only bring in more taxes but also improve the population of the city natively without ever having to grow the city limits. With the SWLA economic alliance predicting an economic boom in less than 5 years, we could use more housing space in a part of town that is arguably vacant.

Simply adding more homes to the tax base only rewards the government for not solving this issue. Government would hire more 20 year pension liable staff, take on more tax bond funded projects and basically use it to incur more debt to address the needs of a larger city.

The attached photo represents several hundred properties in the city limits that have unpaid taxes for more than three years. Search the web or visit City Hall to inquire more about how you can help.
Attached Thumbnails
Areas That Lake Charles Should Annex-lake_charles_unpaid_property_taxes_blighted_houses_low.jpg  

Old 12-11-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarvortex1415 View Post
If they are outside of the tax base, what would be their incentive to annex?
They would be in by annexing.

Old 12-11-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
1) Lake Charles is filled with many undeveloped, blighted areas. Growing the city of Lake Charles to increase taxes is only covering up what government employees are not doing.
I'm not suggesting that anyone cover up anything. On the contrary I want open transparent local government. There is a perception here that that's not always the case. So my question is what are government employees specifically not doing?

Quote:
2) If the City of Lake Charles and its residents worked harder to collect taxes on the blighted areas and encourage the community to work together to solve these issues by working in the community with the residents to solve these problems then the tax base would improve.
I agree that the blighted areas need to be taken care of one way or another. These areas are lower-income, with poorer education. So there are other factors involved that are somewhat out of the city's direct control.

Quote:
Solving this critical issue before growing Lake Charles city limits will not only bring in more taxes but also improve the population of the city natively without ever having to grow the city limits. With the SWLA economic alliance predicting an economic boom in less than 5 years, we could use more housing space in a part of town that is arguably vacant.
I agree with you here. In fact the city had a higher population of 75,000 in the 70s and 80s, and since the city limits have only grown from that time there is plenty of vacant land/room, especially for denser developments.

Quote:
Simply adding more homes to the tax base only rewards the government for not solving this issue. Government would hire more 20 year pension liable staff, take on more tax bond funded projects and basically use it to incur more debt to address the needs of a larger city.
I disagree that it only rewards the government. And what issue are we trying to solve again? The city will be larger even if the city council did nothing in the next few years. So it might as well grow the city where it can, as well as in potential areas south of town, as well as solving the adjudicated properties issue.

Quote:
The attached photo represents several hundred properties in the city limits that have unpaid taxes for more than three years. Search the web or visit City Hall to inquire more about how you can help.
I have no idea how I would personally help in this, but I would be eager to. (other than griping to city councilmen.)

Old 12-11-2014, 03:14 PM

They can fight annexing. We live in an unincorporated area where annexing has been brought up. We hav successfully fought it for long enough that they gave up.

Louisiana requires a referendum and a vote if the area is inhabited. The area must also border the city doing the annexing on a 90% range (trying to figure out the best way to phrase that).

Louisiana is a very libertarian state, IMO. Annexing would only breed bad blood and inhospitality.

In other words, keep your grubby hands off my unincorporated property and find a real solution to your problem that I have nothing to do with.

Don't tread on me.

Last edited by Polarvortex1415; 12-11-2014 at 03:23 PM..

Old 12-12-2014, 09:34 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,222,638 times
I understand some not wanting to annex, though I don't have an issue w/ annexation when done in a controlled manner. With that being said, where the hell do ppl get the idea that being outside of the city limits guarantees them total silence? Talk about entitlement.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:38 AM

370 posts, read 446,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
I understand some not wanting to annex, though I don't have an issue w/ annexation when done in a controlled manner. With that being said, where the hell do ppl get the idea that being outside of the city limits guarantees them total silence? Talk about entitlement.
Silence can only be found by owning many acres with NO TRESPASSING signs.

Old 12-12-2014, 06:19 PM

Owning property outside city limits does guarantee silence! That is why people buy outside city limits!

Entitlement? Lol. That is such an odd choice of words. City folk are the ones "entitled"-- entitled enough to want to annex the unincorporated people minding their own business. (And for the admitted purpose of a money grab!!!!)

Old 12-12-2014, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgathrights View Post
Silence can only be found by owning many acres with NO TRESPASSING signs.
Exactly! Right to privacy... Buying your own reasonable expectation of privacy. Read up on curtilege and the 4th amendment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana