Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2014, 09:57 AM

8 posts, read 19,766 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am hoping to learn about the Calhoun, Ruston, Choudrant, and West Oauchita areas.

My husband has accepted a job in Dodson and we will be moving from North Mississippi. We are originally from South Louisiana and are looking forward to returning to our home state. We have 2 children, 10 years old and 13 years old. Schools are a very important factor, as well as nice neighborhoods/ areas with at least an acre size lot.

My husband will be working in Dodson, so we would like to keep his commute to under an hour. I have done research online and Calhoun really appeals to us, but we would like input from the locals. We would like to be close enough to shopping, restaurants, and activities for out kids. My daughter does competitive cheer and my son does karate and also plays percussion in his middle school band. My husband will begin working mid January. My children and I will stay in North Mississippi to finish the school year and then will make the move. We will be making regular weekend visits to be with my husband to see him and learn the area more.

We want to make sure we purchase a house in a good area with good schools. Anything you can offer on your experiences would be so helpful.

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 06:51 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,023,882 times
Hi. I am not from the area; actually Bossier City. But I do know quite a few people from that area. Choudrant has good schools as I understand as well as west Ouchita. Ruston not so good. I cant answer about Calhoun. Calhoun is a nice looking clean town. That is south of I-20; north of 20 it becomes more rural in nature. I've heard the Ouachita parish schools are pretty decent overall. Ouachita is its own school district. It doesn't include Monroe. Hope this helps.

Old 12-28-2014, 03:56 AM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 1 day ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,599,675 times
I spent eight years in Ruston, and grew up an hour from Monroe. Ruston does have good schools on the north side of town (disagreeing with hdwell here). Still, West Ouachita has good schools as well. The city of Monroe, with the possible exception of Neville HS near the city center but north of downtown, are not so good. Ouachita HS exists east of the city, in the rural part of the parish, and I've never heard anything bad about it. West Monroe schools are reasonably good too, north of Cypress Street. Schools to the west of West Monroe are pretty good too. If you are looking to ensure a good resale value for your home if the time ever comes to move,, then I'd look to Western Ouachita Pa., then to the Ruston area.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:49 AM

Thank you both for the info. Our first pick was schools that feed in to West Ouachita High. (This just based on the research we have done online of the area) Our kids will be in 6th and 8th next year, so elementary schools aren't much of a concern for us. We like what we have seen online for Calhoun Middle and Woodlawn Middle. Sounds like we are on the right path. Thank you again for taking time to respond.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:49 AM

3,071 posts, read 8,023,882 times
Ruston has done a district realignment in the last year or two from what I understand so thats the reason I stated that. It primarily affects elem and jr hi.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:23 AM

12 posts, read 14,230 times
Thumbs up Calhoun

Calhoun is a very good area for relocation. Also Choudrant. I grew up in Ruston/Choudrant and have MANY friends and family still in the area. Choudrant High School is smaller than Ruston or West Ouachita. And West Ouachita HS and the middle schools are fantastic. Great community as well. Ruston is VERY cliquish. I would not move my child into that town at that age. (hey, I grew up there, I can say it). Go for the Calhoun area...you won't regret it.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:44 PM

I really appreciate y'all taking the time to share your opinions. Thanks so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana