U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 10:11 AM

48 posts, read 89,694 times

Advertisements

Looking to move out of Lake Charles after they decided to build a vagrant worker camp directly across the street from my home. Looking at a property between Ragley/Gillis but a bit concerned about the flooding there.. even though the property was pretty dry now the house is quite high and I noticed a few high water warning signs on the main road in (Topsy), also the yard had quite a bit of duckweed which IME means standing water. The real estate agent says it's not any more of an issue there than anywhere else in LA.. but I was hoping to get some feedback from people familiar with the area. REA's have lied to me before.
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 06:59 AM

11,723 posts, read 10,425,047 times
Are you across from Pelican Lodge or Moss Lake Village?

Old 02-24-2015, 02:03 PM

Neither.. E Opelousas st. Facility will be called Rosies Place. I've heard of seven camps so far.. with more to come. They are projecting 20,000+ vagrant workers.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waymire01 View Post
Neither.. E Opelousas st. Facility will be called Rosies Place. I've heard of seven camps so far.. with more to come. They are projecting 20,000+ vagrant workers.
The fact that there are that many jobs is a good thing. They aren't vagrants, they are highly paid engineers, welders, etc... They make a lot more money than the average Lake Charles Joe and LC needs the tax revenue. It's better than the stagnation that Lake Charles had for years.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:14 PM

The jobs would be a great thing if any of our local residents were going to benefit from them. Bet you wouldn't want it across the street from your home. We are talking directly across the street.. literally two lanes of blacktop.
So how about that flooding?

Old 02-26-2015, 06:27 PM

Quote:
The jobs would be a great thing if any of our local residents were going to benefit from them. Bet you wouldn't want it across the street from your home. We are talking directly across the street.. literally two lanes of blacktop.
So how about that flooding?
I don't believe that area floods a lot, but you might want to check the flood maps to make sure. There is some localized flooding in Moss Bluff near the Calcasieu River but not that far north in Gillis.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Rosie's place is a "female" camp. So many of your concerns wouldn't apply to that camp.

Old 02-27-2015, 11:13 AM

You think women are incapable of doing anything wrong? Women don't commit crimes, get into fights, do drugs, drink and party, drive under the influence, or sleep around? These are women who walk away from their lives at home and travel all over the country (or to another country) to live in a camp and work in a rough trade.. they don't spend their off time knitting.
Then we have the opposite problem.. my neighborhood WAS pretty safe, because the residents here keep it that way.. everyone knows everyone and any trouble is dealt with quickly either by informing the property owner or the police. It's quiet here and we like it that way. The surrounding areas to the north and south however are two of the roughest neighborhoods in the city.. what happens when you drop 500 unattached women, who have no idea where they are, in the middle? I've lived here for years and I won't go out into those areas at night. I wouldn't walk alone through either in broad daylight.
The sex of the occupant has zero effect on the damage done to our neighborhood. They are still building a 20 acre industrial facility directly across the street.. still have to deal with the noise, lights, traffic.. still the first thing I see when I look out my window. Still have the strain on our already outdated utilities. Still have 500 strangers coming and going at all hours... it's not a prison, they may offer buses to major job sites but they all still have their own transportation. You can only stay so long in such cramped quarters. Still have the kids trying to get on/off the school bus directly opposite to the entrance of the facility.
I've spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on my property, it will be paid off in a year. I now have to choose whether to live across the street from that mess (and hope the city doesn't annex and try to zone me out anyway)... or try to sell my home and start over, all because someone got a pay off, sold our jobs out from under our local citizens, and could care less who they hurt in the process. A 2300sf home on four acres, with an additional seven leased, and a stable that has been here since the 1940's. We have over $30,000 in just fencing alone. Who in their right mind would want to buy a house, let alone a small farm, directly across the street from a worker camp? Nobody.. unless they get it for next to nothing. Our next door neighbor just finished building his $300,000 dream home next door.. they haven't even finished the interior.. and now everything he's done was for nothing.

Old 03-07-2015, 08:27 AM

2,983 posts, read 2,655,179 times
The OP is probably not going to like this response, but I'll say my piece. As much as you will not like to read this, the truth is, this area would probably be the most suited for a development such as this. If anyone knows Lake Charles, they know that the Northeast end of the city is an odd combo and agriculture and light industry. It also happens to be the location of the Calcasieu Parish Corrections Center. Now looking at where this place is going to be, my sources tell me at the intersection of I-10 and I-210, I'm rather familiar w/ that area. I observed where this would be and it's actually not far from my church. I'm not at all surprised that they would decide to build something such as this when we have all of that low income housing not far from the old Pine Shadows Golf Course along E. Goodman Road. As far as the view, I've been back there and the view is not all that impressive to begin w/. Country living can be quite beautiful, don't get me wrong, but that particular part of Opelousas St. is all that and I don't recall Opelousas St being a particularly safe street for quite some time now. As far as your neighbor building his dream home, he should not let something like this stop him. Don't let something like worker's base (which in years will probably be privatized anyway like much of the housing back there which a lot was old military housing), a bad school district, etc stop you from living in the home of your dreams. LC has always been like that w/ the way of development, you can be in a busy section and then be in an agricultural area all on the same street.

Last edited by pandorafan5687; 03-07-2015 at 09:41 AM..

Old 03-07-2015, 10:50 AM

The area around the CPCC and Chenault IS industrial/agricultural... and where they are building yet another camp. If they were going to build out there I wouldn't be having this discussion.. it's already industrial with a lot of traffic and a suitable distance from residential neighborhoods. That is not where this is going. It's not going out by the golf course either. It's on the other side of the loop, between it and the Kayouche Coulee. The only thing out here are houses, woods, and the occasional pasture. On the other side of the Coulee we have more homes, a church, a school (small alternative school which was closed a couple of years ago), a large cemetery, and finally a rather nice hotel directly at the intersection of MLK and Opelousas that doesn't affect us in the slightest with the natural buffer of the Coulee. There is nothing industrial about this area.. and the property was not zoned that way. That is the part I understand the least about this decision.. you have a reasonable location just a few miles away. Still easy access to the freeway, and even better access to 90. Heck there are several properties along Bunker very close to 90 that are already cleared and ready to build on and have some small industrial right across the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana