U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 04:53 PM

21,836 posts, read 20,945,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I would love to live in Maine. But I can't afford it. It's very expensive up there. The only way to make it there is to have spent a lifetime up there earning high wages (I assume the pay up there is equally high, compared to the rest of the country). From what I've seen on tv and in movies, it's really pretty there.

Louisiana and some other southern states have a low cost of living. People who are born and work there get paid less than elsewhere, so can't move up north. Northerners, with their higher income and therefore higher lifetime savings, do very well by moving south.

La. does have a high crime rate and very high poverty. But that's partly why there's a low cost of living. The state doesn't spend money to combat crime and further education. It cares about the oil & gas industry and tourist business.
Maine is beautiful, very safe, and has a slow pace of life. It is not expensive except for the part called Downeast, where most people live and that includes the rich people too. Rich people from NYC. Get up into northern Maine and there's nothing but woods and bears and moose. Nothing to do though, few people, poor people. If you can be content living in a cabin or very small house and find your own things to do, AND deal with mountains of freezing cold snow and ice for months on end in dark winters, you'd do ok.

New Hampshire can be expensive or cheap--get up to the northern areas and it's cheaper and less desirable too. Again, cold, dark, long winters and nothing to do. Vermont, very nice--cold, dark winters, but dairy farms mountains. None of these places has much in the way of things to do though--you make your own fun.

Old 08-21-2019, 06:15 PM

9,216 posts, read 3,811,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
i wonder if this sort of stuff is even allowed to be said in other forum sections about other states or if its just considered spam? like if I go into California threads calling it a crime ridden feces dump?
Careful, I got silenced for three days for bringing that up. Feces and rotting food now channeled into the bay. The discharge pipe flow must be breathtaking! A model Democrat utopia.

Slidell is still All-American. I'm very happy among my own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2019, 06:19 PM

9,216 posts, read 3,811,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Maine is beautiful, very safe, and has a slow pace of life. It is not expensive except for the part called Downeast, where most people live and that includes the rich people too. Rich people from NYC. Get up into northern Maine and there's nothing but woods and bears and moose. Nothing to do though, few people, poor people. If you can be content living in a cabin or very small house and find your own things to do, AND deal with mountains of freezing cold snow and ice for months on end in dark winters, you'd do ok.

New Hampshire can be expensive or cheap--get up to the northern areas and it's cheaper and less desirable too. Again, cold, dark, long winters and nothing to do. Vermont, very nice--cold, dark winters, but dairy farms mountains. None of these places has much in the way of things to do though--you make your own fun.
We love Maine. It is the most beautiful State. But unfortunately we can only afford to live in one place. Vacations there will have to suffice.

Old 08-21-2019, 06:51 PM

21,836 posts, read 20,945,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
We love Maine. It is the most beautiful State. But unfortunately we can only afford to live in one place. Vacations there will have to suffice.
That's all I can do too. We go up there for a few days to look at lighthouses and ocean, enjoy the laid back environment and peace and quiet. I could never live there in winter anyway. I live in CT which is an extremely boring place to live, safe but relatively inexpensive except for the areas by NYC which are impossibly expensive. Back to Louisiana--I was there once. Nuff said, lol.

Old 08-22-2019, 05:22 PM

14,407 posts, read 20,877,996 times
Quote:
Careful, I got silenced for three days for bringing that up. Feces and rotting food now channeled into the bay. The discharge pipe flow must be breathtaking! A model Democrat utopia.

As if our land isn't polluted beyond imagination? We have a cancer alley for Pete's sake.

Old 08-23-2019, 09:22 AM

128 posts, read 69,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I would love to live in Maine. But I can't afford it. It's very expensive up there. The only way to make it there is to have spent a lifetime up there earning high wages (I assume the pay up there is equally high, compared to the rest of the country). From what I've seen on tv and in movies, it's really pretty there.

Louisiana and some other southern states have a low cost of living. People who are born and work there get paid less than elsewhere, so can't move up north. Northerners, with their higher income and therefore higher lifetime savings, do very well by moving south.

La. does have a high crime rate and very high poverty. But that's partly why there's a low cost of living. The state doesn't spend money to combat crime and further education. It cares about the oil & gas industry and tourist business.
Maine, north of the greater Portland area, is the cheapest place to buy real estate in New England and probably the whole Northeast of the USA. It is very pretty up there. Winters are long, very cold, and can be grey. Mainers mind their own business. So, if you like cheap real estate, solitude, and lots of freezing weather, Maine is the place.

Maine has the lowest crime rate in the USA, but also has probably the highest poverty rate in New England and the larger Northeast. So, that blows the hole in equating poverty with crime. Mainers prove that you can be poor and not have to steal other people's stuff.

Old 08-26-2019, 02:59 AM

8,703 posts, read 13,086,939 times
Quote:

I'd say that Denham Springs, Central, and Watson are the perfect image of the American suburban ideal.

Ponchatoula and St. Francisville are the perfect Norman Rockwell like small town.

After living in West Virginia in a very rural, blue collar area before moving back to Louisiana I also really love some parts of Louisiana that some folks look down on like Oakdale, Pineville, and Monroe. IN fact I would probably rather live in these places than the Baton Rouge area at this point. Now, Denham Springs and especially Watson just feel a little TOO perfect and polished. I'm always told I would have liked the old Livingston Parish before all this overdevelopment.

But yes the BR area and Lake Charles are still booming, unlike Northern states that people are fleeing in droves with communities emptying out and in sharp decline especially places like Michigan, northern Ohio, large portions of New Jersey and New York State.

Louisiana is my favorite state in the nation, followed by West Virginia, Tennessee, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, and Colorado. Virginia is good outside of NOVA. Texas is good outside the Mexican border region.

New Jersey is the worst state in America. California is not a good place to live but they do have a lot of places worth visiting and a lot of natural beauty. New York at least has Manhattan which is worth visiting even if I would never live there. But New Jersey is just filled with crime-ridden cities, decaying industries, overcrowded suburbs and traffic chocked highways with ridiculous tolls.

Old 08-26-2019, 02:02 PM

Denham Springs and Watson perfect? Those would be run down suburbs here. Pontchatoula would be one of the poorer places in this metro.

Baton Rouge isn't booming either, its losing population, losing young people, etc.

Old 08-27-2019, 11:49 PM

8,703 posts, read 13,086,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Denham Springs and Watson perfect? Those would be run down suburbs here. Pontchatoula would be one of the poorer places in this metro.

Baton Rouge isn't booming either, its losing population, losing young people, etc.
So if Denham would be considered a run down suburb in Denver (I'm sure Denver has a legit ghetto, does it not?) then what about Baker, Port Allen, LaPlace or Westwego?

Denham, Watson, Prairieville, and Gonzales are all growing very fast with new businesses and subdivisions popping up constantly. In fact the traffic is getting far worse every year and nearly every piece of open land in Denham is slated for development. Or seems that way. Massive new subdivisions are being built all the way out in Livingston and Satsuma now. You see the growth around Juban Crossing in the past few years?

A lot of the plants around Baton Rouge are expanding including one of the major facilities in Geismar. Exxon is also expanding in Baton Rouge despite the EBR school board trying to block the industrial property tax exemption for them. Formosa Plastics just announced a new manufacturing facility near Geismar too, I believe or maybe it was Plaquemine. There's still a lot of new jobs being created, and unlike in many other metro areas like Denver there are still a lot of well paying jobs for people without a college degree.

Prairieville and Gonzales feel especially overcrowded to me.

Ponchatoula has a lot of small town charm in my opinion. Decent restaurants and nightlife for a town its size and its historic district is beautiful, something out of a CMT video. Very friendly people and a strong sense of community. A lot of St. Tammany Parish is too suburban for me now but Madisonville is a quaint, beautiful town too.

Compared to so many northern states, Louisiana is quite pleasant. And I'll take a summer here over winter up north anyday!

Old 08-28-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
So if Denham would be considered a run down suburb in Denver (I'm sure Denver has a legit ghetto, does it not?) then what about Baker, Port Allen, LaPlace or Westwego?

Denham, Watson, Prairieville, and Gonzales are all growing very fast with new businesses and subdivisions popping up constantly. In fact the traffic is getting far worse every year and nearly every piece of open land in Denham is slated for development. Or seems that way. Massive new subdivisions are being built all the way out in Livingston and Satsuma now. You see the growth around Juban Crossing in the past few years?

A lot of the plants around Baton Rouge are expanding including one of the major facilities in Geismar. Exxon is also expanding in Baton Rouge despite the EBR school board trying to block the industrial property tax exemption for them. Formosa Plastics just announced a new manufacturing facility near Geismar too, I believe or maybe it was Plaquemine. There's still a lot of new jobs being created, and unlike in many other metro areas like Denver there are still a lot of well paying jobs for people without a college degree.

Prairieville and Gonzales feel especially overcrowded to me.

Ponchatoula has a lot of small town charm in my opinion. Decent restaurants and nightlife for a town its size and its historic district is beautiful, something out of a CMT video. Very friendly people and a strong sense of community. A lot of St. Tammany Parish is too suburban for me now but Madisonville is a quaint, beautiful town too.

Compared to so many northern states, Louisiana is quite pleasant. And I'll take a summer here over winter up north anyday!
Yes Denver has ghettos but they don't compare to what's in Baton Rouge and New Orleans. All of these places would be comparable to say Brighton or Ft. Lupton, Colorado. Both of those places aren't places you'd recommend to most people moving to the area. I've seen that growth, I remember when Airline Hwy through Prairieville was empty after the fairgrounds. But Walmarts, strip malls, and cheap traffic inducing subdivisions aren't good signs of growth. It's mainly crap.

Those plants expanding is good for jobs I guess but we pay for the jobs in the form of welfare and pollution. We have cancer alley due to these plants. Prairieville and Gonzales are growing but it's not very healthy. They continue to sprawl and have little tax base to pay for it. Hwy 42 has taken how many years to widen? Colorado would have had it done in less than a year seems like.

Pontchatoula is run down looking, its poor, there's no good job options, etc. I spent some years in Hammond so I know more about that and I will say that Hammond has potential to be a very nice town but it's held back.

An example of a town that Prairieville and such should be trying to emulate is Longmont. It's small, has a real downtown with numerous bars, restaurants, stores, breweries, and jobs. And not tax payer funded cancer inducing jobs. They have bike lanes and paths throughout. It even has a MPC like Perkins Rowe although smaller. Cost of living isn't ridiculous either and property taxes in Colorado are far lower than in Louisiana. Winters here are less extreme than summers in Louisiana. Half of winter feels like 60 degrees and sunny with no clouds.

I do truly love Louisiana but it's an objectively horrible place to live for 80% of people. Most people just aren't aware. I didn't realize other places didn't have massive poverty, crime, and lack of adequate infrastructure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana