U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2020, 06:03 PM

127 posts, read 102,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Yup. It’s a top three state for overall bad road conditions in the US, as far as I’m concerned. Jarring a coil off a plug? Idk, it was probably ready to give way already. But that’s not to downplay how bad the roads are. They are truly dreadful, though some roads are better than others. A bit like Oklahoma. Your neighbor Indiana is more consistently bad than anywhere I’ve seen in the US, but lacks the abjectly terrible parts of those other states.
Can't argue with that either. My Geology class took a summer trip to Utah to dig up dino bones on our School's claim. The roads in Indiana were absolutely DREADFUL. It was great to get it out of the way so quickly on our trip OUT, but man... Coming back, the last thing we wanted to deal with were the atrocious roads in Indiana in the final leg of the trip. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2020, 08:13 PM

2,979 posts, read 1,306,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I mean...as a truck driver I have some reasons to hate Louisiana. The roads are among the worst anywhere and truck stops tend to be run-down.

But the southern part of the state can be charming, really unique vibe. Strong pride in its unique heritage, heck, state law is even based in part in the Napoleonic code. Surprising amount of industry (admittedly mostly related to oil industry).

No, Louisiana isn’t a place I’d necessarily choose to live, but there’s less appealing places than Louisiana.
Evidently you haven't driven on Mississippi rural roads?

Old 04-21-2020, 03:54 PM

42 posts, read 6,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post

You mean the rural dirt potholes or the luxurious potholes with a cement top between them?

Old 04-21-2020, 05:58 PM

2,122 posts, read 835,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwartzmann View Post
Maine, north of the greater Portland area, is the cheapest place to buy real estate in New England and probably the whole Northeast of the USA. It is very pretty up there. Winters are long, very cold, and can be grey. Mainers mind their own business. So, if you like cheap real estate, solitude, and lots of freezing weather, Maine is the place.

Maine has the lowest crime rate in the USA, but also has probably the highest poverty rate in New England and the larger Northeast. So, that blows the hole in equating poverty with crime. Mainers prove that you can be poor and not have to steal other people's stuff.
West Virginia is also a high poverty low violent crime rate state. Just because you are poor doesn't mean you have to be a criminal.

Old Yesterday, 02:20 PM

349 posts, read 289,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
West Virginia is also a high poverty low violent crime rate state. Just because you are poor doesn't mean you have to be a criminal.

Thank you for sharing this observation!

After living in Louisiana and seeing what criminals do to each other here, I have the highest respect for a state where the citizens treat each other fairly.

Old Yesterday, 02:24 PM

2,765 posts, read 1,143,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
I don’t drive them often enough for them to be top of mind. As a whole, I don’t recall them being that horrible, though I can think of one access road to a paper mill which blew a tire once. The sound coming from a 100psi trailer tire is quite something.

Old Yesterday, 06:16 PM

8,060 posts, read 4,487,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwartzmann View Post
Maine, north of the greater Portland area, is the cheapest place to buy real estate in New England and probably the whole Northeast of the USA. It is very pretty up there. Winters are long, very cold, and can be grey. Mainers mind their own business. So, if you like cheap real estate, solitude, and lots of freezing weather, Maine is the place.

Maine has the lowest crime rate in the USA, but also has probably the highest poverty rate in New England and the larger Northeast. So, that blows the hole in equating poverty with crime. Mainers prove that you can be poor and not have to steal other people's stuff.
I looked up the cost of living & cost of housing in Maine recently. It's above the national average, so I couldn't afford to live there, since I earned the lower income that comes with a lower COL state (La & TX). Maybe I can vacation there one day. Not in winter.

Old Yesterday, 07:56 PM

3,367 posts, read 2,503,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
Exactly. The states that have the lowest violent crime rates tend to be among the least diverse and the most rural states in the country.

Old Today, 12:53 PM

349 posts, read 289,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Exactly. The states that have the lowest violent crime rates tend to be among the least diverse and the most rural states in the country.
If you add rainbows, sprinkles and cartoon characters then a conversation about diversity becomes more appealing.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana