U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 04:21 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,264,387 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Bossier City, went to school (and graduated) at Parkway High. Some people could recognize Bossier as a safe suburban community in Shreveport. During the 90s, Parkway was a top public non-magnet school in the state (it could still be, it just had a new facility built). 2 of my friends I went to school with have been victims of homicide. One guy I went to school with blew his own brains out to get out of testifying against somebody on a drug selling charge. I know a guy who killed his own father to stop from being abused. While I was living in the Shreveport area, I was assaulted at a gas station, had a knife pulled on me and robbed in my own neighborhood, had my car broken into once, and had my door kicked in by some drunk guy thinking it was his home.

Crime isn't just confined to New Orleans in this state, it's everywhere and it's bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2015, 05:44 PM

2,368 posts, read 2,379,074 times
Just my opinion and view, but Utah, well I would reconsider that notion, Salt Lake City, has a 1 out of 100 rating for crime according to one particular website, which is as high as you can go, on the scale. New Orleans has a rating of 9. So SLC has a pretty high crime rating in other words, higher then New Orleans even, according to one particular website. True or not, I do not know, but this is what a particular website is showing that I use. SLC has one of the highest crime rates in the USA according to this one website.

Last edited by folkguitarist555; 04-04-2015 at 06:06 PM..

Old 04-06-2015, 10:23 AM

974 posts, read 1,903,805 times
Violent crime rate comparisions in Shreveport vs National Averages: U.S. average for becoming a victim of violent crime is 2.29 per 1,000 persons. In Shreveport it's 4.58 per 1,000 persons, exactly 2X the national average for violent crime.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:26 PM

292 posts, read 287,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
I grew up in Bossier City, went to school (and graduated) at Parkway High. Some people could recognize Bossier as a safe suburban community in Shreveport. During the 90s, Parkway was a top public non-magnet school in the state (it could still be, it just had a new facility built). 2 of my friends I went to school with have been victims of homicide. One guy I went to school with blew his own brains out to get out of testifying against somebody on a drug selling charge. I know a guy who killed his own father to stop from being abused. While I was living in the Shreveport area, I was assaulted at a gas station, had a knife pulled on me and robbed in my own neighborhood, had my car broken into once, and had my door kicked in by some drunk guy thinking it was his home.

Crime isn't just confined to New Orleans in this state, it's everywhere and it's bad.
That's the thing though. Crime is everywhere. I'm sorry you have had bad experiences here. But there are many people who haven't had those experiences with that. You can go to the safest state and there will be somebody talking about how they have been robbed or assaulted or something. So no reason to discourage people because just because you have had a bad experience doesn't mean they will.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:25 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,264,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj0065 View Post
That's the thing though. Crime is everywhere. I'm sorry you have had bad experiences here. But there are many people who haven't had those experiences with that. You can go to the safest state and there will be somebody talking about how they have been robbed or assaulted or something. So no reason to discourage people because just because you have had a bad experience doesn't mean they will.
It's very easy to point to statistics to show violence and random crime is much worse here than elsewhere and you're much more likely to be involved in violence, or know somebody who is. If the things I mentioned don't bother someone then come on down, they might like it. But some people think it's just like any other state and it's safe like anywhere else, no... it isn't safe like anywhere else in the US. It's objectively the worst state in the country and it's not even close when dealing with crime. And quite possibly personal liberties.

Our punishment system is extremely arcane and is geared towards keeping people in prison as long as possible. We have people locked up for decades for pot possession. Yes, possession. We tried and failed to take a criminal law off the books that was ruled unconstitutional (sodomy). Baton Rouge continued to arrest people under the "gay law" up until this year. Thank our Sheriffs, their buddy judges, the DA's and the states wonderful privately owned prison system for that. Oh, and our own inability to put people in office that'll do something different because they're good at tricking us into thinking we're gonna get that next REALLY big project if so and so gets reelected.

All that said - ain't nothin like it. News doesn't leave this state very easily and neither do the people. I've been here 30 years because it does have genuine qualities that are very attractive.

Old 05-09-2015, 01:12 PM

21 posts, read 23,111 times
Louisianans with graduate degrees teach college, practice law, save lives, build drilling equipment, start businesses with capital, design homes, travel overseas, plan the future of the state... etc. They aren't loud and noisy, but quiet and self-effacing, and their everyday contributions tend to be overlooked.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:48 AM

16,010 posts, read 37,540,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGotts View Post
What turned me off of Louisiana was the tv show with Billy the Exterminator.
They've got crazy amounts of insects, snakes and etc. that we don't have in Massachusetts.
I suppose most southern, humid states have the same vexation.
Love that show!

Old 06-10-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post
There's a reason why Neo-Nazi Skinheads are pervasive in the Houston area and other Texas metros but not in Louisiana. Texas' prison system may be the only one with two competing racist gangs in the Aryan Brotherhood and the Aryan Circle and neither exist in Louisiana's prison system. As far as the OP = apathetic jerk!!
Interesting. I wonder if that also has to do with so many Texas-California connections. California is another state absolutely filled with latin gangs, white supremacy prisons, and on and on.

I could imagine BOTH Texas & California having 'white supremacy gangs', but I can't imagine it in any other states.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metairie View Post
There are tons of bugs and snakes in the rural areas for sure. But the populated areas have half the problem. In all my years in Louisiana, I've never seen a snake in the wild. Moved to Charlotte, NC and saw a copperhead on my walk in a populated area within one month.
Interesting. I wonder if it has anything to do with all of the new growth throughout North Carolina. I imagine they are paving over much of their previous forests, etc.

Old 08-19-2015, 10:27 PM

4 posts, read 4,409 times
Obviously the OP doesn't really believe it's the worst state ever (said dramatically) or he wouldn't be trying to convince everyone it is. In life, Bubba, ya either accept things or change them, and since we all won't try to make Louisiana how YOU personally would prefer it, perhaps you should move to one of those places you mentioned. But trust me, with your attitude you're gonna hate wherever you live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana