U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 09:22 AM

16,003 posts, read 37,347,954 times

Advertisements

What are the most CATHOLIC parishes in Louisiana?

Maybe your Top 5....? Are they changing to other denominations, or a stronghold of Catholicism?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 02:08 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,686,773 times
Lafayette parish is extremely Catholic. Its pretty solid majority.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:03 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,253,532 times
Most of South Louisiana is very Catholic. The parishes around Baton Rouge and south from Lake Charles to New Orleans were settled largely by exiled Acadians (French settlers from Nova Scotia) and Catholic creoles. Those parishes haven't changed much in demographics since they were settled in the early 1700s. The East Baton Rouge and Orleans Parishes may be a little behind the more rural parishes, because they have a significant amount of people moving in and out of those parishes.

I think the line that splits Catholic and Baptist is right around Opelousas (about 30 minutes north of Lafayette) and that line ain't a very thick one.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:21 AM

16,003 posts, read 37,347,954 times
Reading on how they vote, it looks like Catholics vote VERY conservative Republican, pretty much identical to their Baptist peers.

New Orleans being the exception though. I thought maybe Catholics in Louisiana perhaps voted more for working-class issues as they do in New England and the Upper Midwest. Looks like they vote significantly more conservative.

Than in itself is interesting, as it seems like much of southern Louisana is also around 50/50 black/white....which probably implies that almost every white catholic in places like Lafeyette are voting Republican, and maybe half of the black populations as well??

Old 04-08-2015, 03:33 PM

144 posts, read 164,081 times
Anywhere south and east from Lafayette to Baton Rouge to New Orleans is primarily Catholic.

Old 04-08-2015, 03:40 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,253,532 times
TL DR Religion doesn't explain politics overall, race may explain D vs R however. Louisiana is widely populist but is split on social issues between north and south. In general, Catholics in the south are more lenient on social issues for the people than the Baptists in the north.

From what I have seen from studies that I haven't read recently, choosing D or R on the ballot comes down to how large of a population of African Americans a district has. D or R doesn't really show how Louisianians view how the state should be handled, however.

Economic issues:

Louisiana acts like a big time conservative on economic issues when you look at its laws and social programs available to its people. Traditionally the people are very populist, but very ignorant on how to go about it. The politicians on the other hand haven't cared for the past half century at least. Studies from LSU can back this up pretty well.

83% of the state wants the budget issues to be resolved through cuts and additional revenue, but 35% - 26% want increased spending in prisons and law enforcement, 53% - 14% want increased spending in health care, 73% - 5% want increased spending in higher education, 73% - 5% want increased spending in roads, bridges, and highways, and 76%-4% want increased spending in K-12 education.

No tax increase in Louisiana is very controversial. Tobacco, gaming and alcohol all have slight support or better for increases. The state also believes corporations and higher income gross earners do not pay their fair share. The perception of what the state spends the most money on is wildly inaccurate, thinking most spending comes from welfare and prisons as opposed to education and healthcare.

To prevent a wall of text (I know ... it already is ...) I'll link the study (studies) at the bottom. It's a pretty interesting read if you're really into it. They're large PDF format but they're easy to read because they have graphs and are laid out very well.

Social issues:

On marijuana - Louisiana opposed legalization for recreational purposes 52% to 45%. When asked if they would like to decriminalize the substance (civic fines only), Louisianians supported the idea 67% to 30%. When these respondents were told that the cost to jail marijuana offenders was $7.4M annually, support for decriminalization rose 79% to 20%. Louisiana supports medicinal marijuana by a number of 60% to 29% - a nearly 20% drop from a year ago. In other words, Louisiana would rather decriminalize marijuana than make it available for medicinal purposes.

Yeah... explain that one.

When it comes to same-sex marriage, Louisiana is slowly becoming more accepting. Over the past years 2 years, the gap between support and oppose fell by 8%. 51% oppose same-sex marriage while 42% approve.

I guess now would be a time to point out the differences between young and old, north and south.

The younger people in Louisiana tend to follow the national trend in that the 19-29 bracket largely favor same-sex marriage and recreational MJ use. (59%-41% , 68%-32% respectively).

New Orleans area (including the most republican parish in the state, St. Tammany Parish) favors same-sex marriage 58%-35%. The biggest detractors from same-sex marriage are from Northwest Louisiana 24%-70%. Surprisingly, the southwest area of Louisiana favors marijuana legalization more than anywhere else in the state 57%-41%, while the northeast area opposes 70%-28%.

Sources:

Public Policy Research Lab
Louisiana survey finds residents more accepting of same-sex marriage, legal pot; however majority still opposes | News | The Advocate — Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Last edited by Mwahfromtheheart; 04-08-2015 at 04:18 PM..

Old 04-08-2015, 07:38 PM

2,883 posts, read 2,613,459 times
Much of Calcasieu is Catholic. Now once you get to Beauregard and Allen parishes, it's more protestant.

Old 12-06-2018, 11:31 PM

8,501 posts, read 12,922,979 times
I'd say that the Baton Rouge area is about half-half. Several parts of the BR metro area like Livingston Parish, Central, Zachary etc are heavily Baptist while the city of BR and places on the other side of the river like Point Coupee Parish and Plaquemine are more Catholic. I personally am Baptist and don't feel out of place here like I would in an area like Lafayette or Lake Charles.

I've spent a significant portion of my life out of state and religiously and culturally I'm more similar to North Louisiana than South though some people claim the Florida Parishes have more similarities with North Louisiana and Mississippi than with New Orleans and Cajun country.

I do find South Louisiana quite socially liberal by national standards (especially when it comes to alcohol and gambling) though politically Cajun Catholics are not quite as liberal as Catholics from Boston or Chicago. Louisiana Catholics tend to be more serious about their religion compared to the cultural Catholics in the North and West, particularly New England/California/etc who don't really go to church or believe in the Bible. I believe in the Bible literally and I have many Catholic friends who also do so and we have more in common with one another than with a New Jersey Catholic, a New England Methodist or a New York Episcopalian, etc etc.

I also know MANY people here in the Baton Rouge area who were raised Catholic but are now non-denominational, Baptist, or Methodist. Despite the liberalism when it comes to alcohol and gambling, many of these people still feel the Catholic church overall has moved to far from the left and the recent Popes' tolerance for gay marriage and abortion has alienated them, as has the national church's support for illegal immigration and refugees not just recently but in the past few decades.

Old 12-07-2018, 07:13 AM

345 posts, read 288,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
Much of Calcasieu is Catholic. Now once you get to Beauregard and Allen parishes, it's more protestant.

Agreed.

You can also see some of the protestant influence in voting records for gambling in Louisiana.

Old 12-07-2018, 04:48 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,149,828 times
I think strongest in Acadiana for sure, places like Lafayette and Vermilion Parishes especially. The French Code Noir baptized most African slaves Catholic, so we´re not just talking about European-decended Cajuns here. The Vietnamese community there is mostly Catholic (though there are some Buddhists as well). The Lebanese/Syrian community, while smallest of all these different demographic groups I am talking about it, is usually Maronite and thereby given fully reciprocity by the Vatican, therefore they are able to worship in any Catholic church even if some of their rituals are a little different in the motherland. This all adds up.

Us Catholics run heavy in New Orleans, but I don´t think the percentages are quite as high...there are many African-American Catholics in New Orleans, but migration patters also injected a lot of Protestants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or