Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 12:39 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,523,144 times

Advertisements

"In an effort to chip away at the state's $1.6 billion shortfall, Gov. Bobby Jindal has proposed cutting the entire operating budget of an agency that serves as a cultural bridge between Louisiana and French-speaking countries."

Threatened state agency serves as a French connection | DailyComet.com

This would break my heart if it went away. He is awful. A truly awful governor. He's selling this states soul to be somebody.

"Several legislators have said they will protest the cut, which amounts to about $300,000 a year."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 11:48 AM

144 posts, read 205,137 times
J'aime le francais!

However with that being said, with the state's budget shortfall we need to cut spending. Albeit this program is something that both you and I would appreciate, I think budget cuts are needed across the board.

I do believe its cool when I see people from France visiting here, but I hardly think it should be the taxpayer's dollar to use state funds to gain interest for them to come here.

Personally if I was governor and had the power, I would eliminate food stamps after 1 year and welfare recipients would have to work in order to get paid, but our liberal friends would get their panties in a wad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
"In an effort to chip away at the state's $1.6 billion shortfall, Gov. Bobby Jindal has proposed cutting the entire operating budget of an agency that serves as a cultural bridge between Louisiana and French-speaking countries."

Threatened state agency serves as a French connection | DailyComet.com

This would break my heart if it went away. He is awful. A truly awful governor. He's selling this states soul to be somebody.

"Several legislators have said they will protest the cut, which amounts to about $300,000 a year."

Old 04-27-2015, 02:01 PM

335 posts, read 423,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGarrison View Post
think budget cuts are needed across the board.
Then why doesn't Jindal cut his salary or those of his friends in state office?

Old 04-27-2015, 02:39 PM

I would be for that but when was the last time a politician has cut their salary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by siobhandem View Post
Then why doesn't Jindal cut his salary or those of his friends in state office?

Old 04-27-2015, 03:05 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,324,132 times
Quote:
I would be for that but when was the last time a politician has cut their salary?
Not is Louisiana!

Old 04-28-2015, 01:21 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,340,165 times
Quote:
J'aime le francais!

However with that being said, with the state's budget shortfall we need to cut spending. Albeit this program is something that both you and I would appreciate, I think budget cuts are needed across the board.

I do believe its cool when I see people from France visiting here, but I hardly think it should be the taxpayer's dollar to use state funds to gain interest for them to come here.

Personally if I was governor and had the power, I would eliminate food stamps after 1 year and welfare recipients would have to work in order to get paid, but our liberal friends would get their panties in a wad.
SNAP(food stamps) is a federal program and not part of the state's budget.

As of 2014, it represented 2.1% of total federal spending.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:32 PM

While it 2.1% may be a drop in the bucket, imagine if we cut this and other wasteful spending programs simultaneously. Our gov't wastes so much money that it's disgraceful. Cutting all of these wasteful proram It would go a long way in lower our ridiculous budget.

And from a non-financial perspective, all food stamps do is enable these slackers and encourage laziness but that's another topic for later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rburnett View Post
SNAP(food stamps) is a federal program and not part of the state's budget.

As of 2014, it represented 2.1% of total federal spending.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:05 PM

335 posts, read 423,979 times
Quote:
While it 2.1% may be a drop in the bucket, imagine if we cut this and other wasteful spending programs simultaneously. Our gov't wastes so much money that it's disgraceful. Cutting all of these wasteful proram It would go a long way in lower our ridiculous budget.

And from a non-financial perspective, all food stamps do is enable these slackers and encourage laziness but that's another topic for later.
Yet, Republicans want to squander trillions in Iraq and Iran.

Old 04-28-2015, 03:32 PM

I agree. The only nation I would provide financial assistance to is Israel. The muslims never have and never do ever want peace. Reading their Koran will confirm that. I will say that there is a time coming when we need to bomb Iran and I would be supportive of that. However that is in the interest of national security which is our government's primary objective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siobhandem View Post
Yet, Republicans want to squander trillions in Iraq and Iran.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:47 PM

4,503 posts, read 4,613,441 times
Quote:
I agree. The only nation I would provide financial assistance to is Israel. The muslims never have and never do ever want peace. Reading their Koran will confirm that. I will say that there is a time coming when we need to bomb Iran and I would be supportive of that. However that is in the interest of national security which is our government's primary objective.
How funny and ironic that you would support Israel, yet Jews tend to vote with the liberals that you so much despise.

Question: What has Israel ever done for the United States?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
View detailed profiles of: