Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 08:47 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,488,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMA2014 View Post
Sorry, I confused pronouns and articles haha. The articles are the exact same in Cajun as in Parisian.
Mo konprann
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 09:15 PM

4 posts, read 23,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Mo konprann
Haha, ouais, ej t'comprend itou.

Translation: haha, yeah, I understand you as well.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:15 PM

1 posts, read 3,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
Well Doug (If you're still around). For God sake, don't be afraid to speak Cajun French. Be Proud! I enjoy hearing it. All of you Cajuns out there, speak CF please. Don't let your heritage go to rot.
Hi my name is Jen and I just wanted to thank you for wrighting this blog as i was reading it i swear it was my pawpaw talkin me again he just passed away this year and im having a realy hard time with it. he was like you he made shore we know where we came from and that no matter what we was to be proud of are heritage.. his mother was from France also and sometime when i think about it i would have giving thing to spend just 1 day with her! My PawPaw always told us kids no matter what Laissez les Bon Temps Roulez ..... lol thats what my family lives by!

Old 05-26-2010, 05:28 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,981,030 times
You occasionally hear Cajun French on the TX side of the state line around Beaumont (lived there at one point), Orange and Port Arthur. Loads of French surnames in that bit of the state and they way pre-date Katrina -- came over I think to work in the oil refineries and timber/paper-making industries post-WWII.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:14 PM

17 posts, read 45,589 times
I have lived 30+ years in cameron and lake charles, la. Let me tell you, now living in wichita, ks. What a change. I speak cajun french well and so does my family. I miss family and the food.. very much.... go tigers

Old 06-08-2010, 12:01 AM

14 posts, read 49,884 times
It's unfortunate that many older cajun folks don't teach their children/grandchildren the language!

Old 06-08-2010, 07:09 PM

3,073 posts, read 8,025,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernJen02 View Post
Hi my name is Jen and I just wanted to thank you for wrighting this blog as i was reading it i swear it was my pawpaw talkin me again he just passed away this year and im having a realy hard time with it. he was like you he made shore we know where we came from and that no matter what we was to be proud of are heritage.. his mother was from France also and sometime when i think about it i would have giving thing to spend just 1 day with her! My PawPaw always told us kids no matter what Laissez les Bon Temps Roulez ..... lol thats what my family lives by!
Well thanks, Jen-glad I could be of some help and inspiration for ya!

Old 07-05-2010, 12:32 PM

6 posts, read 16,394 times
I'm very pleased that I found this fourm. My family is from Avoylles Parish, Marksville to be specific. French is the language that my grandparents spoke, when my grandfather started school, he could speak no English and therefore had to be taught how. My Mom and Dad still speak and understand some French, but we moved to north La. when I was a child. I very, very much regret not learning how to speak French. I have relatives in Lafayette and Lake Charles, some of my uncles still speak the language but unfortunately my cousins do not. Even though we moved north many years ago I still consider Marksville my home, my parents carried with them the traditions and culture of the people and I am proud to say that I am of French La. decent.

Old 07-05-2010, 12:51 PM

3,073 posts, read 8,025,234 times
Funny thing I just remembered. A late uncle of mine was a pumper for Mobil and moved around several times in his 40 year career with them. Originally from Bloomburg Tx near the La/Ark/Tex borders, he managed to learn some Cajun French in south La and Spanish while in south Texas. Probably couldn't write it (well I don't know), but could sure speak some phrases. It just goes to show that you learn to adapt when you must. Never had a bad thing to say about either place. Probably knew some Bohemian as well.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:17 PM

1 posts, read 3,488 times
i agree i miss the ones i could speak to im from a little town called Nonaime near Batonrouge there is home i just found this site brings bake memories thank u all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana