U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 09:35 PM

10,422 posts, read 9,146,444 times

Advertisements

If you come down to the river
Bet you gonna find some people who live
You don't have to worry 'cause you have [if you got] no money
People on the river are happy to give

like the song says... Proud Mary Lyrics - Creedence Clearwater Revival
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2015, 05:44 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,256,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
If you come down to the river
Bet you gonna find some people who live
You don't have to worry 'cause you have [if you got] no money
People on the river are happy to give

like the song says... Proud Mary Lyrics - Creedence Clearwater Revival
They make good music that's based on here for people that never been here.

Old 04-12-2015, 05:55 AM

279 posts, read 292,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
- A bunch of uneducated French-Canadian countryside men that mixed cultures with the Native Americans in Nova Scotia and were kicked out by the British, only to (somehow) settle here.
Shame the British didn't do the same in Quebec....

Louisiana is on my bucket list. I'll make it there one day !

Old 04-12-2015, 05:13 PM

974 posts, read 1,892,904 times
Louisiana is truly a one-of-a-kind experience for the traveler. I really miss the days when I didn't have a clue about things, I was younger and dumber. I reveled in the crawfish festivals & seafood festivals, Mardi Gras and all the other special events that fill my memories of a carefree, party-on attitude. But thanks to Uncle Sam, I left and got to see a good bit of the world and received my education here and there. As I matured I learned all too much about the power of denial and cognitive bias. Not everything is bad but there are things here that just amaze me that seem to continue no matter what the facts are or evidence-based research reveals. Many refuse to do the math or accept the empirical research.

Here's stat worth noting:
"In 2002 Louisiana had the second-highest death rate from cancer in the United States. Although the national average is 206 deaths per 100,000, Louisiana's rate is 237.3 deaths per 100,000."
Source: Centers for Disease Control -- Cancer Burden Data Fact Sheets - Louisiana 2002

This alone is cause for concern. Everyone knows about "Cancer Alley" yet it seems that it's an accepted way of life in Louisiana. I see higher cancer rates in NW La. too. It's an unhealthy mix... call it a "perfect storm" of lifestyle, environmental pollution and lack of quality healthcare. I love hearing the sounds of the swamp at night near my folk's home. But I don't hear the frogs as much as I used to probably because of increased levels of Atrazine which is a major endocrine disrupter and has been shown to affect reproductive organs in reptiles. I don't see the fireflies as much anymore either. Used to see toads populate the carport at night as bugs attracted by the porch-light would be a source of food and entertainment for us to watch through the screen. I've only seen a couple toads in the last 3 years since I've been back and it bothers me.

While everyone can simply shrug and accept these things as inevitable, it shows me the lack of good oversight regarding pollution controls, better inspection and enforcement of pesticide and herbicide use in our agricultural and industrial areas. That and just the plain poor management of wastewater and overflows that occur too many times.

Love the land but hate what's happened to it. That and the absolute willful negligence or lassitude by those who claim to love the state and call it home. I no longer fish nor will I eat what comes out of the nearby waterways close to my home area. It's so sad.

Cancer Alley, Louisiana

Old 04-12-2015, 05:27 PM

Yeah, the pollution down here is bull crap. It really ticks me off to see all the shipping canals cut into the land and I live near a major refinery (which can be downwind on any given day on the coast). It makes me so mad that we do not care about that. 2 million people live in that stretch. It's a ridiculous place to put a stretch of refineries and that doesn't even begin to explain how we've wrecked these lands.

Old 04-12-2015, 05:48 PM

1,973 posts, read 1,762,686 times
Please dont try and confuse these folks with facts.. they get all the facts the need from Faux News hahahaha.. Its is a Hilarious thread though

Quote:
True dat! Talk radio rules up there, and stalemate politics and bureaucratic centers rule (ignores everybody that bothers them) down here.

Unfortunately blaming liberals means blaming Obama. They blamed Blanco for Katrina and relinquish Bush of all doubt but won't blame Jindal for the economy, instead ... we know where that argument goes.

Well, that and I remember walking around a state full of obese people long before Obama. I'm thinking maybe even the Clinton or the Bush 41 ..

Great ... now their hallucinations and delusions are going to get stronger

Right. Insurance is a middle man. A healthy population means a population that can work. What's so hard to understand about that? You'd think conservatives would get that but no, they'd rather not invest in the population.

Of all the things in this state, I think the education system is the most hopeless for a huge portion of our population. There's really nothing you can do with people who do not want to learn.

Old 04-12-2015, 06:31 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,493,799 times
...and no one noticed that this was a troll thread, intended to be overly positive about LA as to provoke disagreement? C'mon guys, just look at the OP's previous posts

Old 04-13-2015, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
...and no one noticed that this was a troll thread, intended to be overly positive about LA as to provoke disagreement? C'mon guys, just look at the OP's previous posts
He hasn't been a very effective troll lol

Old 04-13-2015, 08:19 AM

1,890 posts, read 2,493,799 times
Quote:
He hasn't been a very effective troll lol
You're right, we've had much better in the past. He tries though

Old 04-13-2015, 08:39 AM

144 posts, read 164,479 times
Well the good news is for you haters. If you don't love Louisiana, move.

What you will soon discover is that many of the benefits I mentioned previously either don't exist anywhere or not the same. So good luck in moving to Texas, California, Colorado or wherever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or