Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 05:54 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,326,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGarrison View Post
Well the good news is for you haters. If you don't love Louisiana, move.

What you will soon discover is that many of the benefits I mentioned previously either don't exist anywhere or not the same. So good luck in moving to Texas, California, Colorado or wherever.
Some other states offer a statistically better quality of life but those are boring measurables in terms of ENRICHING life. By that I mean Louisiana does offer more spice to things that many other states only have pale imitations of.
For me thats more meaningful than marginal increases in health or safety.
the fittest state is still around 20% obese and still highly dangerous in spots.
Enjoy this state that actually has an identity instead of thriving on hipsters to make it "weird and quirky'"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 07:07 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,523,676 times
Louisiana may be changing economically very soon. Industries are investing billion upon billions here because the USA is configuring its trade network to utilize the river better. The Panama Canal widening project is almost finished, which means large cargo ships carrying 18,000 containers coming from China won't be going to CA as often. This may be the beginning of the end of a lot of these bad statistics if things get played right.

But nobody here expects that I'm sure. It is Louisiana after all.

Old 04-17-2015, 03:26 PM

370 posts, read 446,875 times
On my Friday afternoon in Southwest Louisiana, I realize that there is a lot for me to look forward too this weekend. Southwest Louisiana has one of the best growing environments in the continental United States. We often take for granted all the gardening and forestry capabilities this little corner of the world has to offer.

So while the rest of you struggle with your perceptions of the area using an economic compass and calculator, maybe these photos should be added before issuing a final verdict.

In the end, I'm just happy to call this my home.

Fresh growth on one of 100x Longleaf Pine Seedlings we planted here in Southwest Louisiana

One of many Azalea bushes in my gardens.

Old 04-17-2015, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgathrights View Post
On my Friday afternoon in Southwest Louisiana, I realize that there is a lot for me to look forward too this weekend. Southwest Louisiana has one of the best growing environments in the continental United States. We often take for granted all the gardening and forestry capabilities this little corner of the world has to offer.

So while the rest of you struggle with your perceptions of the area using an economic compass and calculator, maybe these photos should be added before issuing a final verdict.

In the end, I'm just happy to call this my home.

Fresh growth on one of 100x Longleaf Pine Seedlings we planted here in Southwest Louisiana

One of many Azalea bushes in my gardens.
plus we can grow japanese plums/loquats

Old 04-17-2015, 05:01 PM

2,794 posts, read 2,933,605 times
Merica!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-17-2015, 08:38 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times
I am sure everyone thinks their state is the best. I certainly enjoy visiting LA. I will tend you LA natives know how to party and have a good time and they can be very welcoming which is why most tourists love visiting the state. I can tell going to LSU football games is an awesome experience especially Death Valley for a Night game and the tailgating is amazing great time.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:48 PM

974 posts, read 2,185,792 times
If natural beauty, cultural-food experiences, hunting and fishing and LSU football were the only metrics for a quality-of-life, Louisiana would rank among the highest in the nation. Today another client has asked me about referrals for their soon-to-be high school grad who is moving out-of-state. They're concerned about his education opportunities and with all the cutbacks (80% cuts proposed by Gov. Jindal this year) that will be happening soon, they're not taking any more chances.

But hey, we got good crawfish don't we?

Old 04-18-2015, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenThereDunThat View Post
If natural beauty, cultural-food experiences, hunting and fishing and LSU football were the only metrics for a quality-of-life, Louisiana would rank among the highest in the nation. Today another client has asked me about referrals for their soon-to-be high school grad who is moving out-of-state. They're concerned about his education opportunities and with all the cutbacks (80% cuts proposed by Gov. Jindal this year) that will be happening soon, they're not taking any more chances.

But hey, we got good crawfish don't we?
If the rest of the nation's education quality is any indication ALL of America is in trouble.
There are some absolute idiots living in very well educated areas.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:26 PM

974 posts, read 2,185,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
If the rest of the nation's education quality is any indication ALL of America is in trouble.
There are some absolute idiots living in very well educated areas.
Well at least they'll have schools as a resource to hopefully improve once they see the light. Whereas according to the La. Budget Committee for Higher Ed., state colleges and universities in Louisiana will become a thing of the past. Where will your kids and grandkids go for higher ed? Private colleges?

Old 04-20-2015, 09:43 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,617,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGarrison View Post
Louisiana is ranked as the happpiest state | NOLA.com[/url]

Louisiana has the best food in the nation
Best Food Town | Lafayette Convention & Visitors Commission
[immediatelyrl=http://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/best-us-cities-mn akesfor-food-best-food-cities-in-America]Best US Cities For Food - Best Food Cities In America[/url]

Louisiana is a Sportsman Paradise- no link needed to provide the obvious.
Louisiana is the home to LSU- the greatest university in the history of the universe.
Louisiana is one of the most religious states around and the cost for a Christian education is far cheaper than most places.. Those facts alone makes us greatness in and of itself.
Louisiana has more festivals and entertainment than anywhere else and second place isn't even close.
Louisiana has some of the friendliest people in America.
Louisiana is in the Deep South- the best part of America by a mile.
Louisiana's cost of living is very affordable.

When you take into account everything we have here, I personally see no reason to ever leave this state
unless you want to head to the beaches of Mississippi or Alabama. But that's just me. If you don't like the bayou, then hit the road jack, and don't ya come back no more, no more, no more.
Louisiana is a nice place but I think I'd have to be born and raised there to think it's the greatest state ever.

I don't wanna knock Louisiana because I like it and the people there are nice to me, but my only complaint about Louisiana is the roads are not the best. I can always tell when I cross into Louisiana from Texas because the road goes immediately from ultra smooth to rough. Clickety-clack, clickety clack is the sound it makes, every 2 or 3 seconds, clickety-clack , clickety clack.. After awhile I got use to it and didn't notice it as much, but still, y'all got some work to do on those roads over there. To be fair; Texas has the best roads and road system in the nation, so you're up against some pretty tough competition from your rich neighbor on the westside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana