U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 10:07 PM

14,257 posts, read 20,664,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Louisiana is a nice place but I think I'd have to be born and raised there to think it's the greatest state ever.

I don't wanna knock Louisiana because I like it and the people there are nice to me, but my only complaint about Louisiana is the roads are not the best. I can always tell when I cross into Louisiana from Texas because the road goes immediately from ultra smooth to rough. Clickety-clack, clickety clack is the sound it makes, every 2 or 3 seconds, clickety-clack , clickety clack.. After awhile I got use to it and didn't notice it as much, but still, y'all got some work to do on those roads over there. To be fair; Texas has the best roads and road system in the nation, so you're up against some pretty tough competition from your rich neighbor on the westside.
The roads are far from the worst part of this state. And let's get one thing straight, Texas freeways may be very well built but Houston's surface roads are worse than any city in Louisiana outside of Orleans Parish. Crossing back into Louisiana from Texas isn't much of a difference to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 05:58 PM

8,997 posts, read 3,691,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenThereDunThat View Post
Without a doubt...Louisiana is a great place to play and party!! Great food, festivals, outdoor resources and all those things that make for a great place to visit. BUT.....

EDUCATION: Louisiana ranks near the bottom in education.... 2011 survey by US Chamber of Commerce puts us at the bottom of the 50 states but ahead of the District of Columbia. Thanks to budget cuts...it's going to continue to get worse.
Louisiana ranks poorly in national education assessment

HEALTHCARE: Louisiana consistently ranks poorly on Healthcare (Number 48) Just one of many surveys as proof.
Louisiana Annual State Health Rankings - 2014 America

OBESITY: With all the good-times and emphasis on food, it's no surprise that Louisiana ranks #6 among most obese states in the nation. Rates of diabetes, heart disease, cancer, stroke and related illness is on the rise in Louisiana. Think about that next time you ask for a second helping. Adult Obesity in the United States: The State of Obesity

ECONOMY: Louisiana currently ranks #47 on Unemployment
Unemployment Rates for States

POLLUTION: Looks like Louisiana ranks #11 in highest releases of chemicals to the environment.
Pollution Rankings: By State

Sure we could make arguments pro & con, look at other factors. BUT... the major takeaway is that if all we look at is how much food is on our plates, huntin' & fishin' and watching LSU play ball and lower property values.... then I'd say the focus on what makes a state a great place to live is very biased and narrow. Quality of life is measured more than what's on your plate or what festival is coming up or who's in the play-offs.... If kids can't get a good education to compete in the ever-changing world that has high competition for jobs...they'll wind up scraping by. If better-paying jobs don't increase, lower-wages will be the norm. And if you or someone you know gets sick in this state and doesn't have the resources to cover costs... OR access to higher quality of health care....they're screwed, plain and simple.

No one is knocking the state for having great hospitality, outdoor resources and natural beauty. But without a better educated populace to think critically instead of emotionally, then people will continue to keep electing the kind political leadership that keeps Louisiana near the bottom.
I guess you'll be moving to Illinois or Massachusetts where life is so much better!
Like many polls and ratings these days, someone has to be at the bottom, and someone has to be at the top. Everything in between is nearly the same as each end of the spectrum.
I'm happy with Louisiana just like it is. Our ranking helps repel outsiders (northern liberals and foreigners) that only want to change the culture once they move in. I'm definitely not alone on this.

Old 04-21-2015, 06:55 PM

4,924 posts, read 5,196,200 times
I really like LA but lets face it every state has bias and homer people seriously people in Kentucky where I grew up think its the best state as well and its far from the best state, southern states tend to have more pride in their state I get it but come on everyone thinks their home state is the best geez.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:50 AM

974 posts, read 1,893,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Like many polls and ratings these days, someone has to be at the bottom, and someone has to be at the top. Everything in between is nearly the same as each end of the spectrum.
I'm happy with Louisiana just like it is. Our ranking helps repel outsiders (northern liberals and foreigners) that only want to change the culture once they move in. I'm definitely not alone on this.
Well with higher-education getting hammered by the state budget cuts, you can be sure that our younger people won't be having good, affordable access to higher ed. What you fail to realize is that as younger people leave for better education / jobs, etc... they don't come back to raise families, pay taxes, demand better amenities and infrastructure. Louisiana is ranked between 3 and 4 as being among the hardest states when it comes to higher ed, this is a real issue and not made up... tuition is going up more, it's already been raised 60% or more in many instances.

State colleges & universities are hurting and if the reports are right, they may be forced to close campuses. Where will your kids, grandkids go once they get out of high school? Burger King? Do you really want a dumber populace?

Quote:
I guess you'll be moving to Illinois or Massachusetts where life is so much better!
As for moving Northeast... WTH did that come from? You could've said Minnesota or Alaska or Wyoming, Montana, Utah or Idaho (which I love BTW) or Oregon, Washington State... you must have Yankee Issues.

Quote:
Our ranking helps repel outsiders (northern liberals and foreigners) that only want to change the culture once they move in. I'm definitely not alone on this.
Sounds slightly xenophobic... gawd forbid! BTW half of my grandfolks were immigrants who started a farm, employed people and paid taxes AND were proud to call themselves: AMERICANS !! So I don't get that anti-foreigner sentiment. Incidentally, I had my parents' roof and house worked on recently and the only "white guy" was the contractor, everyone was hispanic and they busted their butts more than any local boys I've ever seen 'cuz most local white boys won't do that kind of work. I betcha even you're a product of immigration if you trace back... I'm third generation, served in the Marines, got educated and learned to pay attention to what's happening. If that's a by-product coming from Europeans who left their country thanks to Hitler to seek a safer and better life, than so be it!

Change culture? Who is working to change Louisiana culture? Clue me in 'cuz I don't see it. Improve government, education and healthcare....I see that desire but change culture? Beats me what you're referring to 'cuz today's paper in my neck o' the woods has more crawfish and fish fries and music venues and gambling and church revivals and tractor-races and...yada yada yada. I think people move here BECAUSE of the culture primarily. Can't imagine anyone trying to change it.

Louisiana is a culturally-rich state which if memory serves flew under at least 5 different foreign flags at some point. To be living in Louisiana and xenophobic contradicts the very essence of what has made Louisiana so culturally rich and diverse.

Last edited by BeenThereDunThat; 04-22-2015 at 12:03 PM..

Old 04-22-2015, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenThereDunThat View Post
Well with higher-education getting hammered by the state budget cuts, you can be sure that our younger people won't be having good, affordable access to higher ed. What you fail to realize is that as younger people leave for better education / jobs, etc... they don't come back to raise families, pay taxes, demand better amenities and infrastructure. Louisiana is ranked between 3 and 4 as being among the hardest states when it comes to higher ed, this is a real issue and not made up... tuition is going up more, it's already been raised 60% or more in many instances.

State colleges & universities are hurting and if the reports are right, they may be forced to close campuses. Where will your kids, grandkids go once they get out of high school? Burger King? Do you really want a dumber populace?

As for moving Northeast... WTH did that come from? You could've said Minnesota or Alaska or Wyoming, Montana, Utah or Idaho (which I love BTW) or Oregon, Washington State... you must have Yankee Issues.

Sounds slightly xenophobic... gawd forbid! BTW half of my grandfolks were immigrants who started a farm, employed people and paid taxes AND were proud to call themselves: AMERICANS !! So I don't get that anti-foreigner sentiment. Incidentally, I had my parents' roof and house worked on recently and the only "white guy" was the contractor, everyone was hispanic and they busted their butts more than any local boys I've ever seen 'cuz most local white boys won't do that kind of work. I betcha even you're a product of immigration if you trace back... I'm third generation, served in the Marines, got educated and learned to pay attention to what's happening. If that's a by-product coming from Europeans who left their country thanks to Hitler to seek a safer and better life, than so be it!

Change culture? Who is working to change Louisiana culture? Clue me in 'cuz I don't see it. Improve government, education and healthcare....I see that desire but change culture? Beats me what you're referring to 'cuz today's paper in my neck o' the woods has more crawfish and fish fries and music venues and gambling and church revivals and tractor-races and...yada yada yada. I think people move here BECAUSE of the culture primarily. Can't imagine anyone trying to change it.

Louisiana is a culturally-rich state which if memory serves flew under at least 5 different foreign flags at some point. To be living in Louisiana and xenophobic contradicts the very essence of what has made Louisiana so culturally rich and diverse.
He doesn't care. As long as he can hunt, shoot guns, and something else redneckish he's fine. Exactly why I'm leaving.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:56 AM

144 posts, read 164,525 times
Well said kind sir. I like the way you roll. God bless you.

Quote:

Old 04-23-2015, 08:24 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,276,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I am sure everyone thinks their state is the best. I certainly enjoy visiting LA. I will tend you LA natives know how to party and have a good time and they can be very welcoming which is why most tourists love visiting the state. I can tell going to LSU football games is an awesome experience especially Death Valley for a Night game and the tailgating is amazing great time.
Even better when the opponent is Alabama!!

Old 04-24-2015, 05:37 AM

8,997 posts, read 3,691,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
He doesn't care. As long as he can hunt, shoot guns, and something else redneckish he's fine. Exactly why I'm leaving.
And don't leave out boating here in the Sportsman's Paradise.
I'll be offshore fishing and loving life while you're packing your stuff into an 8 - foot U-HAUL for your trip north to a liberals paradise.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:50 AM

144 posts, read 164,525 times
Courage! I like it.

Quote:

Old 04-24-2015, 08:29 PM

Quote:
And don't leave out boating here in the Sportsman's Paradise.
I'll be offshore fishing and loving life while you're packing your stuff into an 8 - foot U-HAUL for your trip north to a liberals paradise.
Or a place that doesn't nearly close it's flagship university. Louisiana is #49 for a reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or