U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2015, 06:23 PM

43 posts, read 124,039 times

Advertisements

I have a pending job offer that will re-locate me from Indianapolis, IN to Alexandria, LA. I have never been there before so I am flying blind. I will be working by the Mall from what I can tell with the address. Just curious on nice areas for apartments, crime, and anything that might be necessary for Yankee moving into town Also maybe hotel info, I will be looking for a hotel that has a kitchenette since I enjoy cooking. Now I have lived and worked all over the world, and lord knows plenty of bad places both from the Army and the Civilian world. I do not mind small towns, as I grew up in one in Indiana, and was stationed in many small town areas. I am a hunter/fisherman/outdoors-man so I do not think I have any worries there. All in all what would you tell a friend or family member that was moving there that had never been there before? I am a 40 y/o white male, divorced no kids, speak 5 languages and get along with everyone. Oh and I am a big foodie so any recommendations for places to eat, old dives, and hole in the wall places are my fav. Thanks up front!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 10:52 PM

14,221 posts, read 20,625,111 times
Can't think of anyone from there on this forum. It's a typical southern small town, probably not much good Cajun or Creole food. At least not like in south Louisiana. You fit the demographic just fine.

I know little about the area.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:37 AM

1 posts, read 2,449 times
I live in Alexandria currently, am relocating to Baton Rouge. I have lived here for four years. It's anywhere, USA in terms of demographics/culture. Nothing exciting. The people are all fairly nice; I regularly strike up conversations with strangers at the grocery store. Traffic isn't bad. Not a lot of food options for a foodie- lots of chains and deep fried stuff. Spirits on Texas Avenue is amazing. Wildwood Pizza on Texas Avenue is also amazing. There are some new places that opened downtown that I haven't been to yet but look interesting (Embers, Crave). Very strong bible belt culture; if you aren't a churchgoer, you will have difficulty meeting people. Kisatchie National Forest is nearby and there are a lot of outdoor opportunities. Good luck!

Old 05-09-2015, 12:53 PM

21 posts, read 22,900 times
Welcome and enjoy your stay in Northern Louisiana.

Last edited by g3140517; 05-09-2015 at 01:25 PM..

Old 05-10-2015, 08:49 PM

11,612 posts, read 10,290,249 times
It's not a very exciting town. You will be bored sick most likely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or