Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2015, 10:59 AM

9 posts, read 14,917 times

Advertisements

I am looking to relocate somewhere in Louisiana (Preferably north) and just wondering what small towns (<5000) are the best areas for hunting and fishing? The smaller the town the better, I come from a town of 750 and do not like cities! Maybe something near a swamp? I am not familiar with the area at all...
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 05:39 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiaonmymind6 View Post
I am looking to relocate somewhere in Louisiana (Preferably north) and just wondering what small towns (<5000) are the best areas for hunting and fishing? The smaller the town the better, I come from a town of 750 and do not like cities! Maybe something near a swamp? I am not familiar with the area at all...
Thanks!
Louisiana is called "Sportsman's Paradise." You'd be hard pressed to find an area in Louisiana that's NOT good for hunting or fishing.

Louisiana is mainly small towns. Very few sizeable cities.

I was born in and spent the first few years of my life in a tiny town called Welsh. It's between I-10 and Hwy 90, about 30 miles east of Lake Charles (a small city of about 70k). Welsh is a pretty little town, and it's surrounded by farm land and woodsy areas south of town that are great for hunting, they say. As for fishing, there are lakes and waterways everywhere in Louisiana, including Welsh.

In between Lake Charles and Lafayette (a small city about 60 miles east of Lake Charles) are several small towns. Welsh, Crowley, and others. They're ALL good for fishing.

Then there's the awesomely beautiful area of Toledo Bend (on west side of the state, north of Lake Charles, on the border with Texas). THAT is a prime fishing area. People from all over go there to fish, many having vacation homes (you don't have to be rich to have a little shack there for vacations). The whole area there is dotted with little towns. There are also two large wildlife preserves near there, but I think those areas are to preserve, not kill, the wildlife.

Are you going to buy or rent? I would think that it's easier to find something to buy rather than rent in a small town. And even to buy, there aren't a lot of homes to choose from in small towns, obviously.

The west side, north of the southernmost area (in and around Toledo Bend) would be less susceptible to hurricanes, which involves flood insurance (not cheap), flooding in your home, hurricane damage, evacuations.

A lot of La. is high crime, so you need to check that out, too, in deciding on an area. The high crime may come from a large impoverished citizenry in the state, but I don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana