U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 02:21 PM

8,232 posts, read 4,599,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Sadly, the threat of hurricanes/high winds notwithstanding, Louisiana can't afford to put its electric wires underground. And, in some instances (areas prone to flooding/areas having poor soil quality), I'd imagine that doing so wouldn't be very practical.

At the very least, at least the power lines keep the rats off the street Uptown (seriously, I thought I was seeing only squirrels, but rats run across those lines as well due to the heavy cat presence in the area!).
I think I noticed that in Lafayette the new subdivisions have everything underground. I didn't notice any power lines anywhere in new subdivisions, and these metal boxes between every house sticking up out of the ground. The gas lines are in back, but the electric power lines are in front, so I think those metal boxes are the electrical access boxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 07:39 AM

352 posts, read 295,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I think I noticed that in Lafayette the new subdivisions have everything underground. I didn't notice any power lines anywhere in new subdivisions, and these metal boxes between every house sticking up out of the ground. The gas lines are in back, but the electric power lines are in front, so I think those metal boxes are the electrical access boxes.
The residents of these subdivisions are paying for the underground installations.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:09 AM

16,010 posts, read 37,544,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
Thinking of the FUTURE, It is very economical to do at todays, prices, than it will be at the world prices in 2030 or 2050 - We need to see far into and beyond our current lives as to what is the world and what is it to be and become. Power is central to us in many ways, and based on current awareness, we will need transmission connectivity lines well into the future.

We should learn from other nations, China today is building toward the future, a great many Asian Pacific Nations are building innovative things, even in the Arab Penusila, they have embared on massive projects that rival anything in the world.
We've built nothing, and cannot even build a high speed rail, at current they know the cost today are miniscule to what future cost will be, so they hedge up and get it done.
We use to be forward thinking people in American, but we have become fear filled and caught into the defeatism which dominates the atomsphere of today, and we will pay dearly for that fear and what it results to diminish in us as a society, in years to come. The future generations may well wonder how could we have suddenly turned into a society, afraid to grow and learn and expand our capabilities".

We are no longer the high spirited "let's get it done people", we are now a society where greed and graft and looting and hoarding in the executive suites and political administration has been allowed, their deceptive nature and manner and their assaulting acts has freightened and weakened the will and spirit of the people.

AT some point we have to break the trend, but maybe will simply have to wait for the next generations to do what we today are too overwhelmend with fear to do. The world was here before we arrived, it will be here when we are gone and mankind if he is progressive, will continue to build and bring new things into being. Where is our sense of "hope and faith"... does the dollar strip of us it????? If so, then we may not be as free as we think we are, and have allowed the dollar to diminish us.
As an American who has been living in Asia for a couple decades. Yeah, that is exactly what I see. Many countries that Americans would perceive as 'poor' have way more infrastructure and pretty much everything, way more than the U.S.

When I get back to the U.S., I'm quite surprised at how stagnant it is in every capacity. I think generations of Americans up until maybe 1930 were just a 'get stuff done' kind of people.

Particularly the last 30-40 years, there is just a complacency on every level. We build cheap suburban housing, but no investment in cities, buildings, trains, public transportation, etc....everything is just very very stagnant. And yeah, when I read opinions of most Americans, they prefer that stagnant and really do not want any of that previous American Spirit that existed 75+ years ago, of, we will lead the world.

I'm also relieved to read this on the Louisiana Forum and only see one person against your comment here.

Old 06-12-2015, 05:45 AM

5,237 posts, read 2,525,379 times
Many of the people in position to promote change, should visit some of the Asian locations, maybe it will open their eyes as to how far we have fallen behind. This did not just happen, I was in Hong Kong in the late 1990's and the things they have developed will make some of our notable location look outdated. Instead of holding an attitude that we are better than others, we need to open our minds and realize we can learn as much from other and maybe more, than just holding a mindset that everyone has to learn from US.
If we don't change, we will find ourselves in a nation of modern day ruins.

We have a segment of society who rally around the wealthy for their hoarding of money, rather than being a people who understand the responsibility of money, is that of RE-INVESTING in the nation. It's not about how many over priced mansions, or who has the biggest boat, and other silly things. We need RE-INVESTMENT in this nation, both by private industry as well as government.
We spend too much of war games and not enough on modernizing our nation, its lands and infrastructure as well as its developments.

Sadly, Celebrity Excesses and showing Celebrity Skin, and being hung up in social media, along with the Austerity mentality of fear in both politics, and every arena is our great detriment. We have a segment of society who has aged who has become driven by fear more than thoughts of progress.
We have too much focus on "DRAMA GAMES IN THE MEDIA" and it has zapped the innovate and upkeep mentality from the souls of people.
We ignore our youth instead of investment and working with them. Even our movies are about destruction and destitution across the landscape and we are unable to step back and see the drive to decline that we promote.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:18 AM

5,237 posts, read 2,525,379 times
People knock and down China, but we have to respect what China did with wealth when it came to their lands. THEY STARTED BUILDING !!!!! They did not sit around playing games of worships the one with the most money; They allowed their government and their people with money to invest in building up what China needs to support its populations.

China now has more than 300 million people in their "middle class". We have a dwindling middle class where it almost does not exist. Their 300 Million people will become investors, buildings, business creators and innovators, as they move upwards in economic means. But they won't sit on the money and hoard it, they know money must work and it must work for the people if it expects to grow.
We don't watch the trends, "We see now all the Actors from the 1980's and 1990's are now trying to get rid of those costly mansions, and they are trying to downsize from that arena to become investors in new and upcoming technology. The status of who has the biggest home has long ago played out.
Many in the young generation don't even have a concern for that kind of show off opulence and excess.

Our generalized grid system is so outdated, it is more than 50+ years behind where it should and could be, based on the knowledge and technology available; which has long ago been available. But GREED, crying games about stock holder returns. When the stock market was never designed for flip over quick turn profits, it was designed for LONG TERM INVESTORS, PEOPLE WHO HAVE VISITON TO SEE BEYOND TODAY, OR SEE BEYOND A 3 MONTH CYCLE. Today, we have nothing but criminals who bleed off the value from industry playing day trader and quarterly grabs and the idiocy of expecting to break records every quarter. It's insanity, feeding upon idiocy. This results to nothing but spikes and crashes, and devastation in the wake or industry, lives, cities and ultimately our national atmosphere of seeing a declining nations in tatters.

Here we are only talking about only one segment of what can be progress, and that is the simplicity of burying the power lines, when one thinks of the vast future, then this aspect become a simple step in the process. Burying power lines alone would create many jobs which would last for no less than 2 decades of good steady work. We don't need power companies wasting money buying other power companies, we need them investing in improving the company they have and the method and process of service and its delivery.

Then we can think about building sturdy homes which can withstand a higher degree of intense weather. We should know by now, these toothpick style constructions we build are old tech, there is new tech and new materials which can support stronger built homes.

Sadly, in the lower Midwest, peoples home are destroyed yearly, and they rebuild these same pin and stick structures and wrap them with foil coated styrofoam and then cover it with a weak veneer, and it gets blow away with the next rush of wind.

We know these things, but are we willing to change. ??? We gave away our Steel Industry, which could now be serving us well, building beams and other rods for use in 'Stable Home Construction", NOW to get that same steel, we have to import it from The other side of the world. It's insane, and demonstrates our short sightedness, of chasing a quick profit, and giving away the farm, only to find out, our next generation needs to eat.

We need to face our challenges in real time awareness’. We failed in many ways, but we don't have to remain a failure.
Look around, take for example, Africa, the US failed in Africa because of our attitudes about Africa and its people. China has gone there with a different attitude about Africa and its people and they have and continue to build a unified thriving industrial mecca. We went there to plunder, for short term gains and left a mess. China is there for long term stability, and they are cleaning up the mess we left and building better relations, infrastructure and creating better trade agreements.

We need to get off the high horse of yesterday’s illicit egotism and learn to work and learn how to learn from the world, and build better relations, agreements and cooperative developments.

The China led AIIB , infrastructure bank is not a joke, and only the US and Japan is standing on the outside, but this organizations has plans to raise billion, upon billions and it will achieve it. We are playing as if we are asleep, and have no idea of the impact of China's currency being made a Reserve Currency, and they have the infrastructure of industry to back it up. That makes their currency strong in the global eyes. We down play it, out of pure egotism, and ignore the factors and the facts.
Stop listening to side of the face talking politicians, and pay attention to what is happening around the globe and then watch the impacts in your own city, town, county/parish and state. Then you will want to get rid of these partisan gridlocking minions of yesteryears, who have stagnated our political system and dispirited the people of this nation.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 07-04-2015, 07:08 AM

4 posts, read 4,683 times
Default Why are so many homes in La all electric

The better question is why so many people still believe. Think about it rationally. We have no proof or tangible evidence that God exists, yet, we believe He does. Why?

Old 07-09-2015, 03:19 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,264,680 times
The difference between Louisiana and China is we have a very *dynamic* soil. It shifts, gets flooded constantly, etc. Underground utilities would be great for North LA but the south part of the state has to worry about flood protection and land loss more than anything.

But yeah, neither the federal government or most corporations care to fix our infrastructure. I take that back - Exxon and such are happy to bury THEIR pipes under our state, but not ours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana