U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-09-2015, 09:23 AM
 
12 posts, read 10,779 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hi there--

Long time listener, first time caller. :-)

My family and I are moving from Wisconsin to LC this August. Education is very important to us (we're moving here so I can go to grad school at McNeese), and I have seen and heard that the southwest corner of the city is where I want to be for my kids to be in the "right" schools.

However, finding a 3+ (preferably) 4 bedroom home to rent that allows cats and won't leave us destitute is a tall order...especially for that side of town.

I can look up stats and nationwide reviews of schools there, but it doesn't compare to first-hand knowledge of the area. Can anyone there tell me about the *other* schools in the area? Are they good? Are there some I will want to avoid? Are there some that maybe don't get enough credit? My kids will be going into 8th, 5th, and 3rd grades.

Also, does anyone here know of a decent place to rent within an area for good schools? We are selling our house up here and don't want to buy down there for at least a year to get a lay of the land. Homeowners for 10 years...makes moving and renting a very daunting task!

Thanks for any and all help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-09-2015, 01:00 PM
 
352 posts, read 295,699 times
Reputation: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper320 View Post
Hi there--

Long time listener, first time caller. :-)

My family and I are moving from Wisconsin to LC this August. Education is very important to us (we're moving here so I can go to grad school at McNeese), and I have seen and heard that the southwest corner of the city is where I want to be for my kids to be in the "right" schools.

However, finding a 3+ (preferably) 4 bedroom home to rent that allows cats and won't leave us destitute is a tall order...especially for that side of town.

I can look up stats and nationwide reviews of schools there, but it doesn't compare to first-hand knowledge of the area. Can anyone there tell me about the *other* schools in the area? Are they good? Are there some I will want to avoid? Are there some that maybe don't get enough credit? My kids will be going into 8th, 5th, and 3rd grades.

Also, does anyone here know of a decent place to rent within an area for good schools? We are selling our house up here and don't want to buy down there for at least a year to get a lay of the land. Homeowners for 10 years...makes moving and renting a very daunting task!

Thanks for any and all help!
First, most of the realtors and wealthy people are investing or living in Southwest Lake Charles, Louisiana so they will promote the Barbe High School district as the best. Sulphur High School offers a very good education and it's district also covers the Carlyss area (approximately bounded by Peteseay Road on the west to Cities Service Hwy on the east). The homes in the area are fewer but are lower price with less traffic and more country living feel than the bustling, growing area of Nelson Road in Lake Charles.

Keep asking questions and I will try to answer the best I can... I am not a realtor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2015, 08:50 PM
 
12 posts, read 10,779 times
Reputation: 10
What about the LaGrange High School district? I probably need to stay in LC proper (though we are consider Moss Bluff) because I'll need to be in short vicinity of the kids in case something happens (middle son is a little accident prone...things happen). I see some rentals in the central east part. What are the schools like there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2015, 06:36 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX
11,723 posts, read 10,427,258 times
Reputation: 6910
I don't advise LaGrange. The middle schools feeding into it like FK White are decent, but LaGrange isn't really in the same category as Barbe.

You may want to look really far south into Cameron Parish. South Cameron High School (preK-12) is a really good school. South Cameron High School was devastated after Hurricane Rita but they rebuilt it as a hurricane proof facility, so it is brand new. Homes are much cheaper down in Cameron Parish. Try Big Lake or Cameron itself. They are further out but the roads are good and no traffic at all. You could probably rent a nice place for cheap out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2015, 12:28 PM
 
352 posts, read 295,699 times
Reputation: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper320 View Post
What about the LaGrange High School district? I probably need to stay in LC proper (though we are consider Moss Bluff) because I'll need to be in short vicinity of the kids in case something happens (middle son is a little accident prone...things happen). I see some rentals in the central east part. What are the schools like there?
Avoid LaGrange and don't trust any realtor who recommends it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2015, 09:38 AM
 
Location: Conroe, TX
159 posts, read 228,243 times
Reputation: 208
AVOID Lagrange and any schools in that area.

Sulphur is a great recommendation. Sulphur High School is wonderful and WW Lewis Middle School and Maplewood Middle school are great. Stay away from E.K. Key.
Sulphur is a really easy drive to/from Lake Charles to McNeese. Half my friends at MSU were from Sulphur.

Born and raised in the Lake Charles area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2015, 07:14 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
11,723 posts, read 10,427,258 times
Reputation: 6910
I second Sulphur if you can't afford Barbe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2015, 12:33 PM
 
Location: Southwest Louisiana
2,983 posts, read 2,655,483 times
Reputation: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I don't advise LaGrange. The middle schools feeding into it like FK White are decent, but LaGrange isn't really in the same category as Barbe.

You may want to look really far south into Cameron Parish. South Cameron High School (preK-12) is a really good school. South Cameron High School was devastated after Hurricane Rita but they rebuilt it as a hurricane proof facility, so it is brand new. Homes are much cheaper down in Cameron Parish. Try Big Lake or Cameron itself. They are further out but the roads are good and no traffic at all. You could probably rent a nice place for cheap out there.

Lagrange isn't a bad school and neither is Barbe. They both have major issues, Barbe has more money backing it up. As far as the middle schools, F.K. White and S.J. Welsh are good schools, the latter being very crowded. I heard Bell City has a good school system as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2015, 12:34 PM
 
Location: Southwest Louisiana
2,983 posts, read 2,655,483 times
Reputation: 858
OP have you looked at Westlake?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2015, 04:18 PM
 
12 posts, read 10,779 times
Reputation: 10
I have considered Westlake. What's the reputation of that town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top