Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2015, 09:50 AM

1 posts, read 4,760 times

Advertisements

Can someone tell me what the affluent cities in Louisiana are. Like is Covington an affluent city? I need to know for a fictional story I am writing. From my research I have learned that north of Lake Providence is where a lot of wealthy people live, but what are the cities? Sorry if this is a silly question. I live up in the Midwest and never been to Louisiana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 11:33 AM

194 posts, read 529,063 times
Yes, Covington is affluent. There are "old money" families living in New Orleans and Lake Charles.

You should come visit some time and get to know the state. Might give you some good ideas!

Old 06-12-2015, 06:21 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Harahan is the "best suburb":

Is Harahan the best New Orleans suburb? Take our poll | NOLA.com

Old 06-13-2015, 03:07 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
None. Covington is a suburb, not a city in the sense that it has a sphere of influence.

Old 06-27-2015, 07:52 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Writer-726 View Post
Can someone tell me what the affluent cities in Louisiana are. Like is Covington an affluent city? I need to know for a fictional story I am writing. From my research I have learned that north of Lake Providence is where a lot of wealthy people live, but what are the cities? Sorry if this is a silly question. I live up in the Midwest and never been to Louisiana.
There's that area in New Orleans with the old French style homes. The author Ann Rice lives there (unless she's moved). It is an area covered in her vampire books. A long history, mixed with tales of voodoo, creoles, and such. Sandra Bullock lives in N.O.

As for Lake Charles, that's not a wealthy city by any means. There is a stretch of nice homes bordering on the south side of the Lake (South Beach Drive or something). It stands out in the city because it's not a wealthy city. The country singer Lynn Anderson lived there for a while (she married someone from L.C., I think). Very wealthy, very snooty. But it's a small area, and I don't think it has any particular aura about it to be in a book.

Louisiana is generally a poor state with a high illiteracy rate.

Old 06-28-2015, 12:51 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 1 day ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,599,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Writer-726 View Post
The statement about Lake Providence (East Carroll Parish) very misleading, saying that as a native of Northeast Louisiana. While there are some number of wealthy people there, the town and the parish are both among the poorest areas of the nation. That area is just a westward extension of Mississippi's "Delta" region, a region well known for its poverty, particularly among blacks (this being a majority black area, a high poverty rate among that group means more there than in areas where blacks are in the minority). You can either call it (roughly) The Deep South's Appalachia or America's South Africa.

As for the rest of Louisiana, certain suburban areas are generally the wealthiest communities in the state, like the previously mentioned Covington. Others are Gonzales (SE of Baton Rouge on I-10) and Bossier City, across the Red River from Shreveport. Then there is the college town of Ruston, home of Louisiana Tech University. Of all the "bigger" cities in the state, Baton Rouge and Lafayette are probably your best bets.

Old 07-01-2015, 06:58 AM

314 posts, read 555,021 times
I would say that Mandeville is one of the most affluent towns in Louisiana.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:07 PM

27 posts, read 42,354 times
Now, you do know that Lake Providence is in north Louisiana and Covington is in south Louisiana. Did you mean Lake Pontchartrain? That is where Covington and Mandeville are located. They are across the Causeway (one of the longest bridges in the nation) from New Orleans.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:41 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
What about Nachitoches? It seems like it is doing okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana