U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2006, 06:16 PM

450 posts, read 1,970,355 times

Advertisements

Well, I tried getting something on horses and not much response. Sooo! How about dogs almost as big as horses that like lots of land to roam and water to romp in--am talking Great Danes, folks. Do you have one? Know where in the area I could get one? I hear the "*******" make the best companions. Would like to raise one after being socialized with other dogs as a puppy. Is it best to get 2 females to keep company? I would have them spayed and, of course, spoil them rotten. But they would usually be on a big piece of private woodland with long waterfront on Toledo Bend Lake with me as their only company--unless I got a human girl friend

Seriously, I grew up with German Shepherds as a boy. Loved them, but I found them a bit tempermental and the males could be too agressive. I had a friend with a big blue-grey Great Dane--what a loving dog! But she could also be a guard dog when needed. She would kill anything that threatened her master. That is what I want. A loving dog but one alert to any harm that could be done. I have been reading up on Great Danes and I just love the look of them. What handsome animals. I don't think I could crop their ears, though.

I have also considered Great Pyranees. But Louisiana looks to hot for them with all that fur. Besides, I just like those Big Ole Danes! Is there a Great Swede or Norwegian? LOL

Anyways, let me know if you have a Great Dane or know someone who has a kennel in or around Shreveport or even over in East Texas.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2006, 06:33 PM

4,493 posts, read 7,209,236 times
We have three danes, their pics is in a thread called "Spoiled Rotten Pets" in (i believe) Other Topics.

My wife would be able to tell you of a good breeder in that area. I'll ask her in a bit.

Old 11-14-2006, 06:45 PM

Default Thanks for the prompt reply.

Look forward to hearing about a local breeder. I am now going to look at the "spoiled rotten pets" cause that is what I have done to all of mine. Say, if raised as puppies would they tolerate cats? I might have 2 cats--spayed females, too. All my pets will roam freely from the big sun deck and boardwalk and inside to a very open floor plan with dogtrots, floor to ceiling windows, all on one floor The cats will have perches so they won't get trampled. And the dogs have the floor or big comfy couches. Will even get those elevated feeding bowls to prevent bloat. Of course, all this has to be built. But I am following my dream after many years of work and sacrifice. Well, I am no saint, but I have been frugal and am ready to splurge a bit.

Old 11-14-2006, 06:54 PM

Default I am in love with Karma!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
We have three danes, their pics is in a thread called "Spoiled Rotten Pets" in (i believe) Other Topics.

My wife would be able to tell you of a good breeder in that area. I'll ask her in a bit.
Oh, man! What a black beauty. Of course Lily is nice, too. What beach is she on? I have a good friend that will have nothing but Shelties.

Old 11-16-2006, 06:32 AM

3,995 posts, read 10,771,259 times
We had a neighbor who raised a GD puppy with their cats. The dog thought he was part cat and tried to cover his **** with gravel. He could not understand that he was bigger than they were too.

Old 11-16-2006, 03:08 PM

Talking Sounds good to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
We had a neighbor who raised a GD puppy with their cats. The dog thought he was part cat and tried to cover his **** with gravel. He could not understand that he was bigger than they were too.
Hey! Nothing wrong with covering up your doo doo! I think there will be no problem with the cats if I get a puppy or puppies. GDs like lots of attention so they should not be jealous if given equal time with the cats. Besides, there will be plenty of room for both to romp without getting in each others way. Thanks for the rely.

Old 11-17-2006, 09:50 PM

4,493 posts, read 7,209,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
Oh, man! What a black beauty. Of course Lily is nice, too. What beach is she on? I have a good friend that will have nothing but Shelties.
The dane that's on the beach is Ripley and we were at a dog-beach in Muskegon, Michigan.

Shelties are neat, you can really tell they like herding. Ours will herd just about anything, even tries with the horses.

Old 01-11-2007, 11:39 AM

1 posts, read 6,465 times
Talking Yet Another Great Dane Lover In NW Louisiana

I was just reading about your love for Great Danes. We have a 4-year old black female dane "Annie" and she is the absolute love of our lives. She is loveable, affectionate, playful, wonderful companion, etc. There are just not enough words out there to describe "Annie". If you have heard of any local breeders, I am certainly interested. Even though "Annie" is fixed, we would like to breed with our next dane.

Old 03-08-2007, 02:33 PM

2 posts, read 11,058 times
I know your post is over a month old now. . but are you still looking for a great dane?

Old 03-08-2007, 07:04 PM

Default Not ready to get Dane(s)till I actually retire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacepetyo View Post
I know your post is over a month old now. . but are you still looking for a great dane?
Thanks for your post. I will keep you in mind when I actually can leave Florida and get out to live a Toledo Bend. That is 1-2 years out. Unless I just up and quit the rat race here in Florida. Thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana