U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 02:25 PM

8 posts, read 7,280 times

Advertisements

I shouldn't think the humidity would pose too problematic for me. I lived in Maui, HI for a time and the humidity there averaged between 70-85. Half the time it was just a hair on the side of too cool. Comparing Lafayette to my current area: winter temps are on avg - high of 40 and low of 10. Brrrrr.
Summer's: avg humidity around 70-75%. Temps during summer usually push past 100 with more than half of summer- July and August pushing beyond 110.

Even with higher humidity with lower avg summer temp, it sounds that the area is much cooler to me. Biggest proven I have here is the winters. Suffer from arthritis so I spend have the year hurting more than I would like. And summer is too hot- often damages the wood I use before I have a chance to use it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2015, 02:28 PM

8 posts, read 7,280 times
I think I've settled with Scott and the general Lafayette area. Good hub and offering I think.

Old 11-15-2015, 06:31 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,688,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpkyllo View Post
Thanks for the start. Thinking population somewhere between 20k - 80k. Just told that Youngsville was a decent place - looked it up and about choked on some prices, but noticed that some management companies have homes listed for sale as low as $15k (fixers), whats up with that? Absolutely gobsmacked if home buying is actually at a common of under $80k. Up here you cant even find a half decent decayed building for less than $120k, and thats just a 2 bed/ 2 bath with almost no yard.
Actually, I close on a small 3 br 2 ba house in Youngsville for 135k on Thursday. You can find some nice homes in good areas around here for affordable prices.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:13 PM

143 posts, read 138,688 times
Quote:
I shouldn't think the humidity would pose too problematic for me. I lived in Maui, HI for a time and the humidity there averaged between 70-85. Half the time it was just a hair on the side of too cool. Comparing Lafayette to my current area: winter temps are on avg - high of 40 and low of 10. Brrrrr.
Summer's: avg humidity around 70-75%. Temps during summer usually push past 100 with more than half of summer- July and August pushing beyond 110.

Even with higher humidity with lower avg summer temp, it sounds that the area is much cooler to me. Biggest proven I have here is the winters. Suffer from arthritis so I spend have the year hurting more than I would like. And summer is too hot- often damages the wood I use before I have a chance to use it.

Good luck to you. But, comparing the humidity in HI to the humidity in LA isn't fair. Its not nearly as hot and humid in HI. TRUST ME!

Old 11-25-2015, 05:13 AM

2,248 posts, read 1,518,762 times
Quote:

I've been in Wyoming when the temp was 100 degrees and it wasn't bad. When it's 100 in Louisiana, and you factor in the humidity and dewpoints, it's absolutely brutal. You can't compare HI which has a nice sea breeze. Like I said, be careful what you wish for. I know you want to escape the cold, but this is the opposite end of extremes here when it comes to summer heat.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:13 PM

36 posts, read 120,144 times
Alexandria in central Louisiana. Old logging/forestey/timber area with low cost of living, not many people and I think a need for people like you. People there love custom wood designs.

Its not a pretty town and people aren't as friendly as south of I-10 but its good living. They also have Kisatchie National Forest.

If you want cheap, you can get a double wide on like 2-3 acres... Perfectly acceptable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or