U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 01:14 AM

8 posts, read 7,274 times

Advertisements

I am living in Idaho (Boise) area and I have been really contemplating and collecting information on southern Louisiana, mainly the areas ranging from Lafayette area as far east as New Orleans. The area up north here has gone downhill rather rapidly and personally I can't take the bitter cold winters anymore. Ive spent some time living in Fort Campell, KY and down in South Carolina. SC was almost perfect weather, but still a bit too dry for me.
From what I understand the temp around that area is warm for the most part with decent humidity, but what are the averages like during the entire year?

I'm 31 and would like to continue my education in graduate school in that area and dont mind doing some driving to get there, but I also have a side business of woodworking and cabinetry. It's not a whole lot but it does pay the bills. I'm looking for a place that is more or less a starter area while I get a feel for the ins and outs down there. I don't like living directly in heavily populated areas, so New Orleans, Baton Rouge and Lafayette are definitely not my cup of tea for living directly in the city. Something mid-sized or smaller would be nice.

My business does require some amount of space to function so apartment living is pretty much out. Currently the place I'm living in costs $900/month and its more than what I need. A simple one or two bedroom house for between $600-700 would be great, but I have no real idea what is considered decent rental cost down south.

What are job prospects like down there for those that in that middle zone of finishing a career? I have good skills in your typical handyman and light carpentry like finishing work, outside of my higher education.

Would prefer a place that is fairly low in crime incidences, although I'm informed that crime is rather low (compared to what we have up here in southern Idaho where drugs, and other high crimes like murder have shot through the roof).

I like to be involved in the community and do a number of charitable works, so any recommendations on places that could encompass that passion would be outstanding.

Any words of warning that I should take heed from and things I had best avoid?

All in all, I want to actually enjoy life with different cultures and people that are not so up-tight that their backside squeaks when they walk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 02:19 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,686,773 times
Breaux Bridge might be a good start

Old 10-27-2015, 03:06 AM

Thanks for the start. Thinking population somewhere between 20k - 80k. Just told that Youngsville was a decent place - looked it up and about choked on some prices, but noticed that some management companies have homes listed for sale as low as $15k (fixers), whats up with that? Absolutely gobsmacked if home buying is actually at a common of under $80k. Up here you cant even find a half decent decayed building for less than $120k, and thats just a 2 bed/ 2 bath with almost no yard.

Old 10-27-2015, 11:23 PM

12 posts, read 11,032 times
A $120,000 house in the Lafayette area (although not in the city itself) usually will get you a pretty nice house. My parents paid that much for theirs in Mire (small "town" about 20min NW of Lafayette) and it is a 4b2b on 3 acres, and not a fixer-upper at all. I'd say around Lafayette you'll find the prices to be better than farther east, the food to be better, and the acadian-french culture charming. Lafayette is also incredibly small/local business friendly. For higher education, you have UL in the area, which has increased its standards over the years. You can get a quite respectable education there, depending on the major you're seeking, but especially in engineering or the arts. If not, LSU is only an hour away in Baton Rouge, and you can get an exceptional higher education/degree in a variety of fields, albeit at a proportional increase of the cost.

Old 10-27-2015, 11:27 PM

12 posts, read 11,032 times
As an aside, if you want to stay away from high-crime areas, btw, Baton Rouge and New Orleans are NOT the place for you. I work at a major hospital in Baton Rouge, and trust me...stabbings and shootings are not a rare occurrence.

Old 10-29-2015, 03:37 AM

810 posts, read 661,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZomgLeslie View Post
As an aside, if you want to stay away from high-crime areas, btw, Baton Rouge and New Orleans are NOT the place for you. I work at a major hospital in Baton Rouge, and trust me...stabbings and shootings are not a rare occurrence.
Ignore that nonsense posted above . Baton Rouge is not such a "high crime" area that it should be avoided . Like every large city there are places that good decent folk should avoid . I've lived here for nearly 58 yrs and neither myself nor my family has been a victim . Look at the demographics involving the people that are involved in the shootings and stabbings . Not people that fit your profile .

Old 10-29-2015, 04:01 AM

Indeed. I looked up the statistics in any event and considering its population density it is not much different than some of the other places I have lived.
Still, the smaller Lafayette areas seems a bit more to my liking for its size and cluster. As much as I would enjoy Baton Rouge or New Orleans, my side business does create an amount of noise and I do work odd hours at times. Plus I'm one of those types that goes into the bubble, so to speak, but when it gets overwhelming, has a need to retreat in order to relax and unwind.

How does the area do for for businesses that specialize in handcrafted furniture and cabinetry? Is there a decent demand or is it touch and go?

Old 10-29-2015, 06:29 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,686,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpkyllo View Post
Indeed. I looked up the statistics in any event and considering its population density it is not much different than some of the other places I have lived.
Still, the smaller Lafayette areas seems a bit more to my liking for its size and cluster. As much as I would enjoy Baton Rouge or New Orleans, my side business does create an amount of noise and I do work odd hours at times. Plus I'm one of those types that goes into the bubble, so to speak, but when it gets overwhelming, has a need to retreat in order to relax and unwind.

How does the area do for for businesses that specialize in handcrafted furniture and cabinetry? Is there a decent demand or is it touch and go?
Lafayette is pretty friendly towards smalller businesses.
I think a hand crafted furniture place might be pretty welcome.

Old 10-30-2015, 05:35 PM

4,314 posts, read 2,340,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpkyllo View Post
Thanks for the start. Thinking population somewhere between 20k - 80k. Just told that Youngsville was a decent place - looked it up and about choked on some prices, but noticed that some management companies have homes listed for sale as low as $15k (fixers), whats up with that? Absolutely gobsmacked if home buying is actually at a common of under $80k. Up here you cant even find a half decent decayed building for less than $120k, and thats just a 2 bed/ 2 bath with almost no yard.
You might try Hammond, I-12 @ I-55. It's about an hour each to BR and NOLA. It's also got a small-to-medium university. Southeastern Louisiana University that may offer a masters in whatever program you want to go into. If not, then LSU and UNO are both an hour away.

Old 11-15-2015, 05:12 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,514,352 times
Maybe consider the areas near Covington & Mandeville. This was always my favorite part of southern Louisiana.

And you want decent humidity? Be careful what you wish for! The heat and humidity in south Louisiana is brutal especially in July and August.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or