U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 08:02 PM

11,608 posts, read 10,283,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
High of 84, low of 70 in the WINTER.

High of 89, low of 75 in the SUMMER.

Based on your data.

New Orleans averages 91/76 in the SUMMER.

So the climates are equivalent in the summer and Dominican Republic is far HOTTER than NOLA in the winter.

I've been in the Latin America/Caribbean in the winter, have you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2015, 08:13 PM

2,243 posts, read 1,515,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
High of 84, low of 70 in the WINTER.

High of 89, low of 75 in the SUMMER.

Based on your data.

New Orleans averages 91/76 in the SUMMER.

So the climates are equivalent in the summer and Dominican Republic is far HOTTER than NOLA in the winter.

I've been in the Latin America/Caribbean in the winter, have you?
You said DR's winter is hotter than LA's summer and then backed it up with numbers that show the opposite? Did you look at the numbers before you typed them? DR doesn't have much of a winter. I'm still not sure what temps in DR has to do with this thread though? Did someone say something about moving to Dominican Republic?

However, when discussing temps in different places, you have to take into account how it feels rather than just the temp. I've been in Wyoming when it was 100 degrees and it was comfortable enough to have a picnic outdoors and barely sweat. 100 degrees in south Louisiana is unbearable to stay outside long due to the humidity levels and dew points.

Old 12-12-2015, 11:32 PM

431 posts, read 965,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daydreambeliever1 View Post
Hi! I want to move to Louisiana because of the weather as well as more opportunities to start a business and other work. I'm also very interested in the Cajun/Creole thing and it's rich history. However, I want to know which part of south Louisiana is safe. Here are my concerns:

1. I am Dominican American. Are there lots of Dominicans and other Hispanics living there?
2. What part of south Louisiana do Hispanics actually live?
3. Which city is safe? Baton Rouge, New Orleans, Lafayette, etc.?
4. Is it easy to move your business/find a job there?
5. Are the public schools nice? List the schools please!

Thanks everyone!
I'll try to help answer your schools question.

The Louisiana Department of Education rates each public school with an A, B, C, D or F letter grade each year depending on its performance. You can see how each school is graded at the following link, but a Louisiana parish map may come in handy in another browser window to help you choose the right parishes/districts for the areas you are targeting.

2014 Report Cards

The link is for the 2013-2014 school year since it is the most recent with complete data on all public schools. You can select 2014-2015, but it currently only lists high schools. Middle and elementary schools will be added as their performance data is provided and compiled.

Good luck!

Old 12-13-2015, 12:12 PM

2,955 posts, read 1,720,427 times
Louisiana weather really isn't that bad. I think people that live there believe they are the only area that sees hot and humid weather when actually that is more of a norm for the SE of the United States in many areas. Coming from someone that lived in Baton Rouge for 5 years and then moved on to Florida I can tell you without a doubt that the change in seasons that Louisiana experiences more than makes up for the hot and humid weather you see in August and September.

Actually, here in SE FL we get hot and humid weather from July all the way some years until December. Then barely get 2 weeks in the upper 60's only to get back into a upper seventies and 80's until sometime in Spring when the heat turns back on and we are in the upper 80's most days. Seems that the weather the last 5-8 years has been getting hotter and more humid and for longer than in previous years, at least in Florida. That sticky stuff is still around even now, mid december here and we are still going to be in the mid 80's with around 90% humidity. Sorry but I'd gladly take Louisiana weather.

Regardless, Louisiana has it's issues for certain. Weather really isn't that bad though. You get a hot summer, nice fall and spring and mostly a mild winter that can dip down to cold in the evenings some nights. Most of the benefits of the seasons without the snow and ice that people mostly despise so it is kind of a win win. You get some change but it is mostly warm to enjoy the outdoors throughout most of the entire year for most people.

It's not San Diego weather but it's really not bad at all.

Old 12-13-2015, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
You said DR's winter is hotter than LA's summer and then backed it up with numbers that show the opposite? Did you look at the numbers before you typed them? DR doesn't have much of a winter. I'm still not sure what temps in DR has to do with this thread though? Did someone say something about moving to Dominican Republic?

However, when discussing temps in different places, you have to take into account how it feels rather than just the temp. I've been in Wyoming when it was 100 degrees and it was comfortable enough to have a picnic outdoors and barely sweat. 100 degrees in south Louisiana is unbearable to stay outside long due to the humidity levels and dew points.
I was trying to make a point that the OP can bear the heat. The OP comes from the DR. Did you not read the OP? DR has high humidity levels too.

Old 12-13-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
I was trying to make a point that the OP can bear the heat. The OP comes from the DR. Did you not read the OP? DR has high humidity levels too.
Someone saying they are Dominican American does not = they are from DR. Just like the majority of African Americans never lived in Africa. OP doesn't actually say where they are from.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
Louisiana weather really isn't that bad. I think people that live there believe they are the only area that sees hot and humid weather when actually that is more of a norm for the SE of the United States in many areas. Coming from someone that lived in Baton Rouge for 5 years and then moved on to Florida I can tell you without a doubt that the change in seasons that Louisiana experiences more than makes up for the hot and humid weather you see in August and September.

Actually, here in SE FL we get hot and humid weather from July all the way some years until December. Then barely get 2 weeks in the upper 60's only to get back into a upper seventies and 80's until sometime in Spring when the heat turns back on and we are in the upper 80's most days. Seems that the weather the last 5-8 years has been getting hotter and more humid and for longer than in previous years, at least in Florida. That sticky stuff is still around even now, mid december here and we are still going to be in the mid 80's with around 90% humidity. Sorry but I'd gladly take Louisiana weather.

Regardless, Louisiana has it's issues for certain. Weather really isn't that bad though. You get a hot summer, nice fall and spring and mostly a mild winter that can dip down to cold in the evenings some nights. Most of the benefits of the seasons without the snow and ice that people mostly despise so it is kind of a win win. You get some change but it is mostly warm to enjoy the outdoors throughout most of the entire year for most people.

It's not San Diego weather but it's really not bad at all.
Yep, lots of complainers in Louisiana about the weather when there are parts of the world that are much hotter. My friend in India says there were times it was 94 in January.

Old 12-14-2015, 10:03 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,687,486 times
It gets to similar humidity and heat as far up as Washington DC and lower Maryland.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Yep, lots of complainers in Louisiana about the weather when there are parts of the world that are much hotter. My friend in India says there were times it was 94 in January.
I don't think anyone said or even implied that Louisiana had the hottest weather on the planet. The point was I've never heard anyone comment they wanted to move here for the weather, but now it seems to be what it's turned into. Since there are hotter or more humid places on planet Earth, lets make sure to point them out so that Louisiana doesn't look so bad.

Old 12-18-2015, 07:55 PM

36 posts, read 120,027 times
Some of these answers are so ridiculous... Not many Spanish speakers? Are you kidding me??!!

Plenty of Mexicans all over Louisiana and a pretty large group in central Louisiana, Forest Hill. Many Mexicans are laborers: anywhere there is a horse track, there will be plenty of Mexicans: trainers, grooms, exercise riders, etc. In central Louisiana, they work for the plant and flower nurseries cultivating the plants, flowers and trees. New Orleans also has a large Hispanic population, and the girls 15 year old birthday parties (how do you spell it??) are very popular are getting very high end and elaborate.

The public schools are very dependent on the area. We have some very good public schools: Lausanne in New Orleans, the international school in New Orleans, etc. New Orleans has magnet schools. Many many people pay boatloads of tuition to private and Catholic schools. One of mine goes to private school, the others to public (gotta find the right fit for the individual). In my area, tuition is cheap. In New Orleans, its mind boggling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or