U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 07:58 PM

36 posts, read 121,916 times

Advertisements

New Orleans is very much not safe right now. One of my daughters wants to go to Tulane University and I told her we are going to need to see what happens there in the next year or two. Crime is high and response time for police is very low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 10:20 AM

28 posts, read 18,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daydreambeliever1 View Post
Hi! I want to move to Louisiana because of the weather as well as more opportunities to start a business and other work. I'm also very interested in the Cajun/Creole thing and it's rich history. However, I want to know which part of south Louisiana is safe. Here are my concerns:

1. I am Dominican American. Are there lots of Dominicans and other Hispanics living there?
2. What part of south Louisiana do Hispanics actually live?
3. Which city is safe? Baton Rouge, New Orleans, Lafayette, etc.?
4. Is it easy to move your business/find a job there?
5. Are the public schools nice? List the schools please!

Thanks everyone!
Hispanics are spread out all across south LA, it's a very diverse place. I can't say I've ever met a Dominican person though. It's hard to say which city is "safe" but rather which areas of the cities. Remember, crime rates are fairly high in the cities here in south LA but as long as you stay in safe areas you'll be fine. Areas outside of major cities are much safer. IMO I feel safer in Baton Rouge, but there are many nice areas in New Orleans. Job market is growing, shouldn't be hard to find employment.

The public schools on the other hand... we have some of the worst in America, you're much better off with private schools (Parkview Baptist, Catholic High, etc etc). University Lab and BR Magnet are good public school in Baton Rouge, unfortunately I'm not too knowledgeable of specific schools outside of Baton Rouge.

Old 02-03-2016, 01:04 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,007,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
I am a Venezuelan born with Dominican decent. In DR and Venezuela alike, it is freaking hot all year. If you can survive there, you can easily survive a Louisiana summer. I am telling you from experience. So no, OP. The heat won't be an issue for us who are native to the heat

Old 02-03-2016, 06:46 PM

411 posts, read 220,212 times
I moved to SWLA last spring. There's really no such season as "winter" in the Gulf, either. 30s or 40s in the morning and at night, but typically 50s or 60s, sometimes 70s during the day. I've had ice on my windshield in the morning, but nothing turning the defrost on for 5 minutes can't handle.

Old 02-04-2016, 10:04 AM

2,284 posts, read 1,552,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I am a Venezuelan born with Dominican decent. In DR and Venezuela alike, it is freaking hot all year. If you can survive there, you can easily survive a Louisiana summer. I am telling you from experience. So no, OP. The heat won't be an issue for us who are native to the heat
OP never specified they were actually from the Dominican Republic. I guess you assume that all African Americans were born in Africa?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or