U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 07:49 PM

11,355 posts, read 9,087,160 times

Advertisements

Sorry, but I think he's off to the wrong start. Before proposing raising taxes, the governor and legislature should first look to cut spending. Part of the problem is the corruption among the state legislature and government agencies at the high levels. I'd love to see an out of state agency come in and do an audit. When politicians and high level government officials start doing their job for what's best for the state instead of a way to funnel more money to themselves then and only then will things improve. Raising taxes when the oil industry is bust is a quick way to send more companies either to other states or out of business. It's also further incentive for people to leave this state which has some of the worst roads in the country, highest auto insurance rates in the country, high level of DUI repeat offenders, and corrupt politicians and government employees. It appears Edwards is on the path to drive businesses and people to other states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 06:04 AM

5,229 posts, read 2,495,187 times
I think its unlikely he will drive people away from the state, but I don't disagree with cutting funds to the oil companies. We need not prop them up, they CHOSE to leave the fuel in the ground, simply because they could not extract robber barron level profits. First no one asked them to 'jack up their expense, pay to executives and play the stock ticker game". If they simply deal with actual supply and demand, and not worry about 'stock ticker madness', their business model will continue to function.

As a nation of people, WE can't continue to allow brokers, traders and hedge fund managers to dictate what we or business do and what they don't do. All the brokers, traders and hedge fund managers do is 'drain off financial resources", they contribute nothing to the realism of "supply and demand" function.
How we as a society allowed the madness of this Wall Street Gaming to dictate our nations businesses is our fault. for not learning enough to know how to speak up and what questions to pose. The stock market was not designed for "get rich quick games" or breaking records every 3 months"; It was designed for LONG TERM INVESTORS to invest in the MANAGED GROWTH, MANAGED RESEARCH AND WELL MANAGED EXPANSION OF A BUSINESS TO SUPPORT ITS ABILITY TO MEET SUPPLY AND DEMAND.

Those that run only expose themselves as being lost in the game and dictated to by Wall Street, maybe its best they leave, then we can deal with more "fair play business' which actually regards the realism of supply and demand. Sometimes its best to let the gamer's flee, so the business who function without the aim of profit GOUGING, but want to do long term 'sustainable business' to remain. Then our legislation's can work in accord to honor principles the people care about, 'rather than the madness of the GREED PROGRAMMERS, buying away the voice and concern of the people.

It's a fact, at some point, in some place the paradigm has to change. Louisiana is just as good a place as any to start.

We as people simply need to learn more, stand for what we learn, speak up about what we've come to learn, and then make our choices based on that knowledge and information's to make more wise choices, not just in how business function, but who we place in our CONGRESSIONAL SEATS. We forget so much, when we listen to the mad men of greed. It has misled people so much, until now even the Universities have been for too long teaching the greed model to our young people.
They (Young People) use to go to school to specialize in something, now they go because OUR SYSTEM supports the degree selling game of universities, where degrees are now being required to sell an ice cream cone. That's the insanity that has turned so many with these 'bought degree" that provide no specialization skills, just simply a "get a job certificate" and they are duped to think they should come out and get a decision making position and be highly over paid, when the don't know the business, have no specific skill, and do not understand the nature of relation of business and its responsibility to the community, employees and the consuming public. They are taught, to make policy to support Greed gouging, REGARDLESS HOW MANY AND WHO IS DAMAGED, as long as its not them. this is the driving force of so many layoff, closed divisions and companies that make good products going bankrupt. The delusion that investor should make a windfall every 3 months has destroyed far too much and too many business all across this nation.
We've become so lost in University games, until the AA Degree, BA/BS is not even respected, yet we are too blind to see the game of the University Business to guarantee themselves more profits and encumber the students with more debt, while they walk away with worthless degree and still want the highest pay. It's no longer about professional contribution, it's who can this degree be pushed to that will pay me the most for having it, even when it is not even remotely close to the job type they seek.

It's a big picture with many moving parts. Hopefully the Governor will see the parts, and the people will do something to change the in-state congressional members. Re- focus on education and speak of ETHIC'S, Contributions and skill development standards.

We can rebuild to lead in ways we have not imagined, if we learn more, think more and stand up for the realism we complain is missing and push for its restoration.

Old 01-20-2016, 06:43 AM

14,242 posts, read 20,640,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Sorry, but I think he's off to the wrong start. Before proposing raising taxes, the governor and legislature should first look to cut spending. Part of the problem is the corruption among the state legislature and government agencies at the high levels. I'd love to see an out of state agency come in and do an audit. When politicians and high level government officials start doing their job for what's best for the state instead of a way to funnel more money to themselves then and only then will things improve. Raising taxes when the oil industry is bust is a quick way to send more companies either to other states or out of business. It's also further incentive for people to leave this state which has some of the worst roads in the country, highest auto insurance rates in the country, high level of DUI repeat offenders, and corrupt politicians and government employees. It appears Edwards is on the path to drive businesses and people to other states.
You mean like the 8 years of budget cuts we just suffered?

Sometimes taxes have to be raised when all your money is given to oil giants.

Old 01-20-2016, 02:37 PM

974 posts, read 1,891,496 times
I would think that everyone would agree that Louisiana's State Budget is in a really bad shape and something needs to be done. We've had 8 years of disastrous leadership under Wonderboy Jindal along with an all-too-willing statehouse led by Republicans who wouldn't reign him in for fear of falling out of favor with their party. A real lack of political courage if ever there was one.

As for taxes.... O&G companies were given huge subsidies and when you add the severance tax exemptions for the first 2 years of any well drilled in the state.... (the first two years BTW are the most productive of any well that pays).... you've got to come to realize that millions in state tax revenue have been lost because of this archaic exemption.

READ MORE: Louisiana failed to collect millions in oil and gas taxes | NOLA.com

So the money has got to come from somewhere.... state budget chickens are coming home to roost and Jindal's tax game of "3 Card Monty" is what has helped bring us to the position we are in now. So let's all take a deep breath and stop thinking that budget cuts are the only way out of this....revenue has got to be raised which we all agree that no one is going to like very much.

TAX GAS AT THE PUMP: Yep...this sucks but honestly it's probably one of the best ways the state has as a fast revenue-raising resource. Look.... price per gallon has dropped and today crude was falling around $26+ a barrel. Given that Iran has sanctions lifted and Iran AND US can now export oil in an increasingly glutted market.... oil will probably drop to $22 a barrel. So gas prices will continue to drop. We could easily add 5 or 10 cents a gallon in state taxes and that would help quite a bit towards resolving La.'s state budget deficit. This tax could be rolled back with automatic sliding decreases mandated into the hike. This is one area that I would encourage.

Sure...people will pay for the tax as will businesses small and large.... but hey... gas was over $2 a gallon not too long ago and now is the perfect time to take advantage of this price ease.

TAXES are not EVIL!! When in the world did we think that all taxes are evil? Seriously folks... I crunch numbers for a living and there is never a free lunch for most. Now I will say that the upper 10% of income earners seem to have created this frenzy that all taxes are evil. Well... if you want better streets, sewers, clean water, gas & electric... better police and fire protection.... better quality of life... better infrastructure and amenities... better schools and hospitals, less crime, more economic opportunity.... then you have to pay for those things. They just don't happen.

Sure... fixed income folks will take a hit.... hourly wage earners will take a hit, we're all going to take a hit. But that's why I think a nickel or dime a gallon each time I fill up makes sense, especially now. Paying $1 or $2 more each time I fill up won't kill me... and with the average cost per gallon around $1.54.... and thanks to my Kroger discount of 10 cents per gallon every month..... it's a wash!

I will say one thing: Jindal was right when he said that the Republican party needed to "....stop being the Stupid-party..."
I'll add that we in Louisiana need to stop being so knee-jerk stupid when it comes to the mess we're in and start realizing that there are few options out of this mess that don't involve some form of revenue....and consumptive taxes on commodities like fuel with costs being so low for now and the foreseeable future... is where the smart solutions lie.

Old 01-20-2016, 06:06 PM

810 posts, read 663,063 times
Why isn't this rambling drivel in a political forum where it belongs ?

Old 01-20-2016, 08:16 PM

974 posts, read 1,891,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selogic View Post
Why isn't this rambling drivel in a political forum where it belongs ?
Oh I don't know....ya think maybe it's in response to previous drivel?

Old 01-21-2016, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
You mean like the 8 years of budget cuts we just suffered?

Sometimes taxes have to be raised when all your money is given to oil giants.
Budget cuts made in a better manner would go a long way. Limiting the bulk of the focus on spending on higher education is wrong. Assign each department and government office/agency to find ways to make spending cuts and ask for input from low level employees on ways to make spending cuts that doesn't take away from the services they provide. My employer has implemented this suggestion program in which any employee, no matter their position, can submit such cost cutting ideas. Look at spending money now to save even more in the long run. Example, we've begun replacing exterior lighting with LED lights. Because we have electricians on staff we're replacing the fixture ourselves. Find a balance between HVAC usage, comfort, and energy saving. If a building is left unoccupied don't turn off the HVAC for the weekend it's is t occupied. Doing so could result in toxic mold growth. Replace aging fleet vehicles with smaller and more fuel efficient models that tend to have better reliability and higher resale value. Our small vehicles have been replaced with Honda Fit. These are a few examples of cost saving ideas for where I work. Each work place is different. If the cost saving ideas come from everyone then the potential savings could be as much as 10% per department/office. Making a big painful cut looks good on paper but such cuts in the long run hurts everyone. A more evenly distributed cost cutting method spreads out the savings to a little for everyone. Raising taxes can cause businesses to leave the state or shut down. These actions could lead to employees of these companies leaving the state as well as more future college and trade school graduates leaving the state for better jobs. Focusing solely on increasing taxes is wrong because it doesn't address the issue of the State Legislature's corruption and spending more money than they have in the budget. If these tax increases do get passed and do increase revenue then all you're doing is giving the state Legislature more money to waste fully spend on pet projects. Address the pork spending projects and government waste before raising taxes.

Old 01-21-2016, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenThereDunThat View Post
I would think that everyone would agree that Louisiana's State Budget is in a really bad shape and something needs to be done. We've had 8 years of disastrous leadership under Wonderboy Jindal along with an all-too-willing statehouse led by Republicans who wouldn't reign him in for fear of falling out of favor with their party. A real lack of political courage if ever there was one.

As for taxes.... O&G companies were given huge subsidies and when you add the severance tax exemptions for the first 2 years of any well drilled in the state.... (the first two years BTW are the most productive of any well that pays).... you've got to come to realize that millions in state tax revenue have been lost because of this archaic exemption.

READ MORE: Louisiana failed to collect millions in oil and gas taxes | NOLA.com

So the money has got to come from somewhere.... state budget chickens are coming home to roost and Jindal's tax game of "3 Card Monty" is what has helped bring us to the position we are in now. So let's all take a deep breath and stop thinking that budget cuts are the only way out of this....revenue has got to be raised which we all agree that no one is going to like very much.

TAX GAS AT THE PUMP: Yep...this sucks but honestly it's probably one of the best ways the state has as a fast revenue-raising resource. Look.... price per gallon has dropped and today crude was falling around $26+ a barrel. Given that Iran has sanctions lifted and Iran AND US can now export oil in an increasingly glutted market.... oil will probably drop to $22 a barrel. So gas prices will continue to drop. We could easily add 5 or 10 cents a gallon in state taxes and that would help quite a bit towards resolving La.'s state budget deficit. This tax could be rolled back with automatic sliding decreases mandated into the hike. This is one area that I would encourage.

Sure...people will pay for the tax as will businesses small and large.... but hey... gas was over $2 a gallon not too long ago and now is the perfect time to take advantage of this price ease.

TAXES are not EVIL!! When in the world did we think that all taxes are evil? Seriously folks... I crunch numbers for a living and there is never a free lunch for most. Now I will say that the upper 10% of income earners seem to have created this frenzy that all taxes are evil. Well... if you want better streets, sewers, clean water, gas & electric... better police and fire protection.... better quality of life... better infrastructure and amenities... better schools and hospitals, less crime, more economic opportunity.... then you have to pay for those things. They just don't happen.

Sure... fixed income folks will take a hit.... hourly wage earners will take a hit, we're all going to take a hit. But that's why I think a nickel or dime a gallon each time I fill up makes sense, especially now. Paying $1 or $2 more each time I fill up won't kill me... and with the average cost per gallon around $1.54.... and thanks to my Kroger discount of 10 cents per gallon every month..... it's a wash!

I will say one thing: Jindal was right when he said that the Republican party needed to "....stop being the Stupid-party..."
I'll add that we in Louisiana need to stop being so knee-jerk stupid when it comes to the mess we're in and start realizing that there are few options out of this mess that don't involve some form of revenue....and consumptive taxes on commodities like fuel with costs being so low for now and the foreseeable future... is where the smart solutions lie.
Do you work with/for a state politician? Your post read like political talking points.

Old 01-21-2016, 05:27 PM

5,229 posts, read 2,495,187 times
Are the people "patient and care to be informed and discuss things"? As we can see from one poster who offers critique about the post, but contribute nothing to the discussion. These are the type mentalities we have who will criticize either way, and certainly not have the patience for the Governor to engage "efficiency modification", therefore when dealing with people - it would be good if we had people who could be patient and understand the investment it cost for 'efficiency modification" that would be great. But some would complain and say the governor is just spending "more" money, rather than look at the LONG TERM GAINS.
What we truly need to help the governor is a more informed public, rather than a self centered public with limited awareness of what is to be achieved for the betterment of Louisiana and its People.

Both options are good,
Quote:
Address the pork spending projects and government waste before raising
There has to be "efficiency modifications" without cutting things to the bone. Therefore this has good points of merit.

Quote:
Now I will say that the upper 10% of income earners seem to have created this frenzy that all taxes are evil. Well... if you want better streets, sewers, clean water, gas & electric... better police and fire protection.... better quality of life... better infrastructure and amenities... better schools and hospitals, less crime, more economic opportunity.... then you have to pay for those things. They just don't happen.
In some cases there may be need to address tax increase simply because the cost of things have increased.

Old 01-21-2016, 06:33 PM

810 posts, read 663,063 times
Add to the discussion ? Why the hell would I want to do that ? I keep hoping that you will take your rhetoric to the proper venue but we haven't been that lucky .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or