U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 06:57 PM

11,357 posts, read 9,090,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
Are the people "patient and care to be informed and discuss things"? As we can see from one poster who offers critique about the post, but contribute nothing to the discussion. These are the type mentalities we have who will criticize either way, and certainly not have the patience for the Governor to engage "efficiency modification", therefore when dealing with people - it would be good if we had people who could be patient and understand the investment it cost for 'efficiency modification" that would be great. But some would complain and say the governor is just spending "more" money, rather than look at the LONG TERM GAINS.
What we truly need to help the governor is a more informed public, rather than a self centered public with limited awareness of what is to be achieved for the betterment of Louisiana and its People.

Both options are good,

There has to be "efficiency modifications" without cutting things to the bone. Therefore this has good points of merit.

In some cases there may be need to address tax increase simply because the cost of things have increased.
But with an increase in the cost of goods, does this not also mean an increase in tax revenue since the sales tax is a percentage of the cost of the merchandise? One must be careful in regards to practices of putting huge taxes on things like tobacco and alcohol. Two things happen when the taxes on cigarettes are increased to huge amounts. First is some will completely quit smoking. This will mean they're no longer buying cigarettes and a reduction of tax revenue from cigarettes while they still may eventually suffer the lung cancer from their years of smoking. The other is what's happening in New York. Those who choose to continue to smoke will get their cigarettes in other ways to bypass the high taxes. They've traveled to neighboring states, used machines to roll their own cigarettes, or buy them from blackmarket dealers who buy or steal large quantities and sell them below store prices either on the street or under the table sales. People and businesses are taxed far more than many realize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 08:19 PM

14,244 posts, read 20,644,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selogic View Post
Add to the discussion ? Why the hell would I want to do that ? I keep hoping that you will take your rhetoric to the proper venue but we haven't been that lucky .
It's surprisingly easy to not click on this thread.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:23 PM

14,244 posts, read 20,644,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Budget cuts made in a better manner would go a long way. Limiting the bulk of the focus on spending on higher education is wrong. Assign each department and government office/agency to find ways to make spending cuts and ask for input from low level employees on ways to make spending cuts that doesn't take away from the services they provide. My employer has implemented this suggestion program in which any employee, no matter their position, can submit such cost cutting ideas. Look at spending money now to save even more in the long run. Example, we've begun replacing exterior lighting with LED lights. Because we have electricians on staff we're replacing the fixture ourselves. Find a balance between HVAC usage, comfort, and energy saving. If a building is left unoccupied don't turn off the HVAC for the weekend it's is t occupied. Doing so could result in toxic mold growth. Replace aging fleet vehicles with smaller and more fuel efficient models that tend to have better reliability and higher resale value. Our small vehicles have been replaced with Honda Fit. These are a few examples of cost saving ideas for where I work. Each work place is different. If the cost saving ideas come from everyone then the potential savings could be as much as 10% per department/office. Making a big painful cut looks good on paper but such cuts in the long run hurts everyone. A more evenly distributed cost cutting method spreads out the savings to a little for everyone. Raising taxes can cause businesses to leave the state or shut down. These actions could lead to employees of these companies leaving the state as well as more future college and trade school graduates leaving the state for better jobs. Focusing solely on increasing taxes is wrong because it doesn't address the issue of the State Legislature's corruption and spending more money than they have in the budget. If these tax increases do get passed and do increase revenue then all you're doing is giving the state Legislature more money to waste fully spend on pet projects. Address the pork spending projects and government waste before raising taxes.
Never has the economy come out of a recession by budget cuts and saving. Spending is what got us out of the Great Recession.

I'm confident that no company will relocate purely due to these tax increases. Many of them pocketed enough money through the tax breaks.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:46 PM

974 posts, read 1,891,857 times
Quote:
Do you work with/for a state politician? Your post read like political talking points.
Nope. I'm just a self-employed consultant who crunches numbers and sees patterns and behaviors through ledgers, special reports and balance sheets. I isolate information, analyze and interpret data. I simply see correlations and explore things. Problems simply don't occur by magic, there's cause and effect, persons affected, outcomes and potentialities based on what is or isn't done. For every action there's a reaction. I've seen where cutting spending increases spending in other areas and delivers the dreaded negative results of unintended or (more often than not) ignored consequences.

Thanks for asking.

Old 01-22-2016, 01:51 AM

11,357 posts, read 9,090,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Never has the economy come out of a recession by budget cuts and saving. Spending is what got us out of the Great Recession.

I'm confident that no company will relocate purely due to these tax increases. Many of them pocketed enough money through the tax breaks.
Really, plenty of companies have moved due to changes in tax laws. Look it up.

Old 01-22-2016, 07:30 AM

5,229 posts, read 2,495,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenThereDunThat View Post
Nope. I'm just a self-employed consultant who crunches numbers and sees patterns and behaviors through ledgers, special reports and balance sheets. I isolate information, analyze and interpret data. I simply see correlations and explore things. Problems simply don't occur by magic, there's cause and effect, persons affected, outcomes and potentialities based on what is or isn't done. For every action there's a reaction. I've seen where cutting spending increases spending in other areas and delivers the dreaded negative results of unintended or (more often than not) ignored consequences.

Thanks for asking.
I appreciate interchange from informed and attentive individuals, "Thank you" for sharing the data from your investigative works.
We need more people who get involved into the exploration of variables- the better we become at truly paying attention, the more we are inspired to become functionally engaged to put forth the best in our efforts regardless of what our works entail.
It takes "All of Us" to make this State, its Parishes and its Cities to work and advance.
I'm not one who is motivated for the delusions of conservatism. Most of those who claim conservative can't identify what it means.

Therefore, it is evident we can't conserve the past in any aspect of the political system mentality of this nation, especially the segments and periods where all people were not regarded and or respected. As to Fiscal conservative, that is fiction as well, the Republican spend more money in more areas and it comes down to what you said. They cut in one place and double up spending in another, as well as bury so much earmarking aims within bills, until by the end result much is crashed, debt is increased and taxes cut for the wealthy while the poor and working poor suffer a deteriorated infrastructure. We don't need any more of that!!!!!
As people of Louisiana, we need to work very hard to get so many Republican out of our in-state legislative system. We need progressive minded people who can see and push for a future that cares about all people, gives good focus to children, youth, seniors and embraces the young adults with a system that deals with the new world they live within of tech, innovations, environmental concerns and fair play business and educations that is not made into some massive business enterprise, but more of a focus on being a sustainable education institution. It takes the mentality to understand the difference, to effect such changes

We need people to come together, get over the old once upon a time "Confederate Antebellum Mentality" and stop re-fighting the Civil War at ever twist and turn. We are of the United States, not some Confederate Organization of State. This is a big turn that is sorely needed within the mentality that it takes to move this nation ahead and stop ranking in the lowest level of every study and poll regarding life, issues, challenges and conditions as a people and a State.

It is good, already the new Governor is discovering the messed up deal that Jindal made which encumbered us with fiction and illusion and nothing substantive to support the give away's he set in place.

Old 01-22-2016, 08:31 AM

810 posts, read 663,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
It's surprisingly easy to not click on this thread.
And it's just as easy to stick to the intended purpose of this forum , which is not political in nature .
That's probably why they have a SEPARATE forum entitled " Politics And Other Controversies " .

Old 01-22-2016, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selogic View Post
And it's just as easy to stick to the intended purpose of this forum , which is not political in nature .
That's probably why they have a SEPARATE forum entitled " Politics And Other Controversies " .
If you would like to post a subject, why not do so. This forum is "Louisiana", which can include anything people within "Louisiana" want to talk about that is relative to Louisiana and life and living within, which is a broad spectrum.

If you don't like the subject material rather than trying to dominate and control something, why not either post what you like or go to a section that appeases you, except it appears you simply like to whine and cry and dictate the web program. Geez. Everything posted is relative to Louisiana and living within. you choose to keep coming back to this post, no one has forced you to indulge the material. Those are simple reality factors.
I have no more to say to you on the matter, I'm more interested in the subject content. If you choose to return to the post, remember, you made the election and selection to do so.

Old 01-22-2016, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Really, plenty of companies have moved due to changes in tax laws. Look it up.
Companies move for a multitude of reasons, both to and from the State as well as among many states. What we need to focus on is to stand firm about companies leaving the "country" and wanting to ship their foreign made products back here 'duty free" and "targeting existing companies which are already here and performing.

As citizens of Louisiana and Residents of the cities - I think we could serve ourself well, not to give any monies to companies directly, but we can give them tax concessions under the employment agreements, because employee income will re-circulate in our cities and communities. The pledge Jindal made which 'GIVES" money to these companies was a terrible act and program. These acts here are part of the amounts that is now proposed to be cut from education, and surely that money will be used to pay off these locked in deals Jindal made. Our Education will suffer just to clean up some of the messes made by Jindal. This is severe damage to our young people and to the future of what education could otherwise bring in benefit to this state. That means still another $24 million has to come from some place, just to meet the $155 million mess.

Sadly, more will be exposed as time moves along, and we have to find ways to deal with the results of what will be uncovered and discovered. Jindal, messed up more than $1.8 billion, (which is just the 800+million surplus he had, and the $1 billion debt he left). This is after cutting Education more than 800 million, and the many other cuts and give aways, he probably cost us upwards of 3-5+ billion and it may even be closer to a Billion Dollars a Year Loss factor for the years he held office. All the facts are not in and the truths have not all been uncovered.
We should have means to file against him for Economic Treason against the state just on the level of his blatant disregard for the elements in our State Preamble of which he had absolutely "0" regard to consider or respect.

Old 01-22-2016, 03:03 PM

810 posts, read 663,268 times
Edwards admin. notifies La. universities of $131M in potential h - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports

Moving us forward ... Yeah , I know . It's Jindal's fault . What's the excuse going to be next year ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or