U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-22-2016, 09:30 AM
 
289 posts, read 237,781 times
Reputation: 294

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
I pay quite enough taxes thanks.
I doubt that. You definitely don't pay enough to cover your share of the services you use. Hence the statistic I posted earlier. You get about $2 back from the feds for every dollar you pay. And one of these days, us blue starters will get sick of supporting you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-22-2016, 09:45 AM
 
Location: Denver
14,244 posts, read 20,644,861 times
Reputation: 9061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusiphur View Post
I doubt that. You definitely don't pay enough to cover your share of the services you use. Hence the statistic I posted earlier. You get about $2 back from the feds for every dollar you pay. And one of these days, us blue starters will get sick of supporting you.
Corporations here don't pay taxes because of Reaganomics. I think that would change if they paid their fair share of taxes. And all blue states don't support red states, and vice versa. Look at Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2016, 11:19 AM
 
5,229 posts, read 2,495,991 times
Reputation: 3686
It's interesting, whether it is corporations or individuals, American would not have what it has, if people don't pay taxes.
corporation should be made to pay and citizens who continually complain about taxes, might want to pay more attention to the actions of politicians.
There is no reason our schools and our roads should look as they do, and there is no reason for our public service program to be challenged.
If people pay more attention,and as Annie said, acknowledge things like what Reaganomics did to destroy so very much.
If we can get rid of republican (Confederate >Conservative Agenda, and people actually become educated to respect rather than whining and trying to give the wealthy a tax break, things might be better for this nation and everyone in it.)

People first have to learn the Wealthy and certainly the confederate minded Conservatives have never wanted to pay tax, but they want to utilize everything that tax money built and supports, THEN, they want to turn around and claim they did everything by themselves.

If they think that is true, then go to some nation that has a bad system where tax dollars don't improve the environment and all that's in it.... and see who well they do.
We should be thankful for the system of regulation and acknowledge the additional areas we need more regulation to help make a more fair play system which respects all American people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2016, 02:32 PM
 
289 posts, read 237,781 times
Reputation: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Corporations here don't pay taxes because of Reaganomics. I think that would change if they paid their fair share of taxes. And all blue states don't support red states, and vice versa. Look at Texas.
Louisiana actually has one of the higher corporate tax rates in the country, so it's not that corporations aren't paying taxes. It's that there really aren't all that many large companies based in Louisiana. Even Century-link, which is nominally based in Monroe, actually has most of their senior staff in Texas.

And don't be so quick to point to Texas as a shining beacon of a red state. A) They're trending purple, and B) They're actually in the negatives for 2015 - the only reason they are sometimes a net positive contributor is because of Oil. When oil prices are high, they pay more than they get. When oil prices are low, they get more than they pay. Having an economy that is so dependent on natural resources is something pre-industrial third-world countries do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2016, 04:03 PM
 
Location: nola
860 posts, read 988,651 times
Reputation: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusiphur View Post
Louisiana actually has one of the higher corporate tax rates in the country, so it's not that corporations aren't paying taxes. It's that there really aren't all that many large companies based in Louisiana. Even Century-link, which is nominally based in Monroe, actually has most of their senior staff in Texas.

And don't be so quick to point to Texas as a shining beacon of a red state. A) They're trending purple, and B) They're actually in the negatives for 2015 - the only reason they are sometimes a net positive contributor is because of Oil. When oil prices are high, they pay more than they get. When oil prices are low, they get more than they pay. Having an economy that is so dependent on natural resources is something pre-industrial third-world countries do.
You are comparing Louisiana and Texas to third world countries. I'm curious which state you live in that can make you feel comfortable with that condescending attitude? I hope your state is at the top of the list. Either way, I probably wouldn't want to live there.

Last edited by norb123; 05-23-2016 at 04:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2016, 05:28 PM
 
289 posts, read 237,781 times
Reputation: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by norb123 View Post
You are comparing Louisiana and Texas to third world countries. I'm curious which state you live in that can make you feel comfortable with that condescending attitude? I hope your state is at the top of the list. Either way, I probably wouldn't want to live there.
I'm not comparing them to third world countries, except in one very specific area - having a resource-based economy. Which is a valid comparison, and getting offended by that is incredibly immature. Resource-based economies are volatile, unsustainable, don't create significant wealth for the middle and lower classes, and often damage the environment, hence why people try to move away from them as soon as possible. Texas is trying, but oil is still such a big part of their economic mix that it hurts them everywhere else.

BTW, I currently live in South Florida (Miami), then Charleston, SC before that, and NYC before that, and all are quite lovely. Before that, though, I spent about 3 years living in both Mississippi and Louisiana. I still have a ton of money invested in both MS and LA, so this isn't just about me sitting back and sniping in a condescending manner at states that I feel are beneath me. This is me being concerned about my investment and wanting to see the states move forward and progress so that people have more money so they can spend more money with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2016, 05:43 PM
 
Location: nola
860 posts, read 988,651 times
Reputation: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusiphur View Post
I'm not comparing them to third world countries, except in one very specific area - having a resource-based economy. Which is a valid comparison, and getting offended by that is incredibly immature. Resource-based economies are volatile, unsustainable, don't create significant wealth for the middle and lower classes, and often damage the environment, hence why people try to move away from them as soon as possible. Texas is trying, but oil is still such a big part of their economic mix that it hurts them everywhere else.

BTW, I currently live in South Florida (Miami), then Charleston, SC before that, and NYC before that, and all are quite lovely. Before that, though, I spent about 3 years living in both Mississippi and Louisiana. I still have a ton of money invested in both MS and LA, so this isn't just about me sitting back and sniping in a condescending manner at states that I feel are beneath me. This is me being concerned about my investment and wanting to see the states move forward and progress so that people have more money so they can spend more money with me.
I spent 7 years in Miami and if that is your benchmark I feel for you. I'm not red or blue, but Louisiana just feels like home, and I don't think you should judge it like that. Have you been here since Katrina? We still have a long way to go, but things are looking up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2016, 09:35 AM
 
289 posts, read 237,781 times
Reputation: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by norb123 View Post
I spent 7 years in Miami and if that is your benchmark I feel for you. I'm not red or blue, but Louisiana just feels like home, and I don't think you should judge it like that. Have you been here since Katrina? We still have a long way to go, but things are looking up.
I actually got there during Katrina. Was in a small town in central MS when the storm passed over my head, and then immediately went to Biloxi to assist with the cleanup and recovery.

Honestly my biggest issue with MS and LA are that they seem stuck in a basic resource and light manufacturing economy, and because the resources have been so good, no one seems to have bothered all that much with trying push anything else. There are enough decent-to-good colleges there that both states should be trying to focus on making the transition to a knowledge economy, but they just aren't, and that's sad. Instead, the politicians seem to be convinced that the only way to make progress is to keep giving out huge tax breaks for large plants that end up barely improving (and often decreasing) the standard of living for the people around them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2016, 01:34 PM
 
Location: nola
860 posts, read 988,651 times
Reputation: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusiphur View Post
I actually got there during Katrina. Was in a small town in central MS when the storm passed over my head, and then immediately went to Biloxi to assist with the cleanup and recovery.

Honestly my biggest issue with MS and LA are that they seem stuck in a basic resource and light manufacturing economy, and because the resources have been so good, no one seems to have bothered all that much with trying push anything else. There are enough decent-to-good colleges there that both states should be trying to focus on making the transition to a knowledge economy, but they just aren't, and that's sad. Instead, the politicians seem to be convinced that the only way to make progress is to keep giving out huge tax breaks for large plants that end up barely improving (and often decreasing) the standard of living for the people around them.
Fair enough. I tend to take things a little too personal sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2016, 06:20 PM
 
Location: Louisiana
810 posts, read 663,268 times
Reputation: 1223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusiphur View Post
Instead, the politicians seem to be convinced that the only way to make progress is to keep giving out huge tax breaks for large plants that end up barely improving (and often decreasing) the standard of living for the people around them.
Are you talking about those plants that provide thousands of jobs that pay anywhere from 15.00 to 40.00 hr ? Not to mention those jobs created by all of the companies that service these plants ? I visit these plants all the time in my work and I see the jobs and I KNOW what the pay scale is . Many of these people commute long distances to work here or have relocated from other states . Your statement is just mindless rhetoric .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top